Single chainring to double?

EH_Rob
EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm picking up a bike on Saturday which comes with a single chainring (a 34T) up front, a bash, and a 9 speed cassette (I'm not currently sure if its 11-32 or 11-34). Given that I am a puny weakling I will probably have to revert this to a double chainring setup.

The bike is a 2009 Santa Cruz Nomad, which I believe has ISCG05 mounts.

So here is the list of things I may need. Is there anything I'm missing? Do those chainring sizes make approximate sense?

A chainring (probably a 26T?)
Longer chainring bolts? Are these essential, or is it a case of wait and see?
Front shifter
Front mech - 34.9mm top swing (low clamp) top pull
Gear cable/outer
Possibly a chain device like the Superstar double - http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=336

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first of.

will the cranks take a second ring?

a 26T will mount on the smaller BCD set not the larger set. So longer bolts not needed. more bolt will be needed presuming that the cranks are drilled and tapped for them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EH_Rob
    Thanks for the speedy reply Nick.

They're SLX cranks.

Bike in question here, this is the only available pic at the moment.

p4pb8612324.jpg

Any thoughts?
  • nicklouse
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    wait untill you get the bike in your hands so you can see what you need to spend your money on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • EH_Rob
    Agreed, ta for your comments.

In all honesty I should probably just stop whining like a girl and get used to the single ring. The last bike had a triple though so I'm not convinced my matchstick legs will take it.
  • nicklouse
    or you could consider a 10spd shifter, rear mech and cassette 11-36
  • EH_Rob
    That is a possibility, thanks. I'll also require a 10 speed chain though.

I will see how I get on with the current setup - your suggestion (along with reducing the size of the front ring if needed) will be the simplest way to go if I do struggle.

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many people who've done a 1x conversion will have 22/32 rings (ramped and pinned ring will be needed) along with bolts and mechs (I have, as I'm sure others would) so needn't cost a fortune!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.