Hit by a vans wing mirror this morning

Paul E
Paul E Posts: 2,052
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Didn't come off though luckily, was heading north on deptford church street int he bus lane, the van decided to undertake into the bus lane hitting me and then carrying on oblivious to the fact.

I caught him back up at the next line of traffic by the fire station and I got a weak apology through the window. I have sent a nice email to his company explaining I think they should have a word, someone who was at deptford bridge light turning right too said he was rather keen in his driving, take from that what you like.

Ho Hum I will give the company a call if I get no response by 12, I just want them to realise they can't employ drivers in a professional capacity with driving skills like that, especially when their name is plastered over the can everywhere.

rant over/

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Wow, I thought Vans just made skate shoes?

Glad you're OK
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • At least he apologised I suppose. I got hit by a vans wing mirror a couple of years back whilst I was walking on the pavement. Yes I was on the pavement. Its a narrow road and he was approaching a bend but still no excuse for driving that close to the curb. Hit me hard enough to fold his mirror in and he just kept going. Actually took me a second or two to realise what happened and I was then impressed that I'd stayed upright.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm always amazed that more people don't get clubbed by bus wing mirrors as buses pull in or around obstacles in London, they're right on the corner of the bus, sticking right out and as the front wheels of the bus are set back, often the wing mirror swings right across the pavement. They've started to make them yellow so they clearly see the potential problem but I've been on the pavement before and felt the need to lean back or take a step away from the edge of the pavement to avoid being whacked by bus wing mirrors....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mudcow007
    ive always been worried about the metal step on trains, i dont know if they are the same down there, in that there London town

but here in liverpool, most of the trains have a long chequer plate steel plate sticking out about half a foot at the entrance to the train

4597rh1h_merseyrail.jpg
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    mudcow007 wrote:
    but here in liverpool, most of the trains have a long chequer plate steel plate sticking out about half a foot at the entrance to the train

You should get yourself a curved platform like we have in Brighton...
    that way the step ends up atleast feet away from the platform!!
    I think it defines 'mind the gap'

17261779_6f6ed5b5b7_m.jpg

Glad to hear the OP is ok, good luck chasing the company.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive always been worried about the metal step on trains, i dont know if they are the same down there, in that there London town

You shouldn't stand too close anyway, you might get sucked off.

I don't want to see a rant from you about broken ankles.
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

aye i know to stand to close but i always worry when everyone rushes forward ankles will be smacked
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    mudcow007 wrote:

4597rh1h_merseyrail.jpg

I was thinking about this yesterday, they do come very close, my mate nearly got clipped, she didn't have a clue though. Non cyclists eh.

Also gave the Met a call about the truck that clipped that kid, used to deal with that company years ago, my good deed for the day.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

So how close exactly would one have to stand to have a realistic chance of getting sucked off?

Just wondering :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    So how close exactly would one have to stand to have a realistic chance of getting sucked off?
    Just wondering :roll:

I'm almost positive we've discussed this before...
    i'm just too scared to search 'sucked off bikeradar' on google from my work PC! :wink:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    mudcow007 wrote:

4597rh1h_merseyrail.jpg

The yellow line on the platform is not an art installation y'know?
  • mudcow007
    Peat wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

4597rh1h_merseyrail.jpg

The yellow line on the platform is not an art installation y'know?

the only line on liverpool stations is right on the very edge of the platform (look on the left of the picture)

there isnt a line that says "your legs will get removed past this point"
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    the only line on liverpool stations is right on the very edge of the platform (look on the left of the picture)

So did the Scousers nick it, or did the Police cover it up?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

So did the Scousers nick it, or did the Police cover it up?

i think someone tried to snort it, so it had to be removed.....
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Nice thread derailment, heard back from the contact I could find on the companies website, it's been passed to the MD and the transport manager too.
  • mudcow007
    Paul E wrote:
    Nice thread derailment, heard back from the contact I could find on the companies website, it's been passed to the MD and the transport manager too.
    woohoo i see what you did there

great news, at least they doing something with your complaint
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mythbusters did a piece of how close do you have to be and had a dummy standing RIGHT by the edge of the platform and a train went through at 70. The dummy got blown over, not in.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter