coed llandegla on rigid forks - Madness ?

paulmon
paulmon Posts: 315
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi I'm hoping to get over to Coed Lladegala at the weekend with a few friends. I've rode this trail a few times on a full sus bike but I dont have this any more. What I have is a Boardman HT Team R (http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_teamr.html) with Mountain King 2.1 front and back. My concern is my ability to soak up the blacks like I used to do on my full sus without the bike spitting me off at the first chance it gets.

I've been looking for a set of shocks for the front but the tapered steerer seriously limits my selection. Has anyone tackled this trail with rigids that can offer any advice on what to expect (from a ful sus pov).

Cheers
P

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PaulMon wrote:
    I've been looking for a set of shocks for the front but the tapered steerer seriously limits my selection.
    How? buy a 1 1/8th steerered for and a reducer headset. sorted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulmon
    nicklouse wrote:
    PaulMon wrote:
    I've been looking for a set of shocks for the front but the tapered steerer seriously limits my selection.
    How? buy a 1 1/8th steerered for and a reducer headset. sorted.

Ah, I hadnt considered this. Thanks. Do you have any recommendations for the headset ?
  • I'd not worry about it.

You'll feel it a bit more in the morning, but there is nothing at deggy that can't be done on a rigid without any real worries.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, you'll be fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride with a chap that's done it on a rigid, he put a large volume front tyre on (2.4) and rode it as if he were on a short travel HT and got on OK he said.

One of the main outlets had some cheap tapered forks recently (Merlin or CRC) as there still isn't that much demand for them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Llandegla is the smoothest, most BMX-track like trail out there. But still fun.
  • You'll be absolutely fine... rode a few laps on a rigid SS quite recently... the early section on the exposed hillside is a bit of a filling loosener but, after that, as Yeehaa points out, it's silky smooth.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hicks lodge?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You've not ridden the new blue at CYB then!
    But yeah, there's nothing to be worried about at degla.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    You've not ridden the new blue at CYB then!
    But yeah, there's nothing to be worried about at degla.
    Hmm, good point. I actually forget that the blue is meant to be a mountain bike trail!
  • paulmon
    Thanks everyone for the input. I've ordered a 2.4 high volume tyre for the front as The Beginner early in the thread.

Cheers
    P
  • Cant speak for the particular trail you are on about but I have exactly the same bike and have ridden it down every single trail I have found so far around Sheffield. Admittedly I nearly lost my fillings doing a descent from Stanage pole the other week and spent the next couple of days googling suspension forks. However I havent bought them so far!

One one seem to have some cheap Rebas that would fit I have been eyeing up. My understanding is the suspension fork would have to be 100 mm travel as the ridgid fork is 440 mm long ( might be wrong though).
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rigid bikes are fab, go for it. It'll either work fine, or it won't but it'll be funny finding out.

<predictably posting the same picture he always posts> Rigid- goes places you might not expect, like the fort william world cup route.

p4pb8461849.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    Rigid bikes are fab
    No, they're not, but they make do until you can get a real bike.

I'd just like to point out to the newer members, that our Scottish friend Northwind here, is in some kind of asylym, and is only allowed to post during certain hours of the day :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have ridden Llandegla with a broken fork lockout that wouldnt release. A bit jiggly and my hands stung a bit when I was in the caff afterwards but no trouble at all.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paulmon
    Just thought I'd finish this thread of and share what I have done. In the end I went for a Michelin reinforced 2.4 tyre on the front only to read after I had ordered it that some people have had issues with wide tyres on the Mavic rims so I was expecting the worst. The tyre went on OK and with 32psi feels pretty firm.

However the bike looks a bit silly now with the fat 2.4 on the front and skinny 2.1 on the rear so I might fit a 2.2 to the rear just to try and get things back into proportion.

bman01.jpg

bman02.jpg

bman03.jpg

Cheers
    P
  • Hi

If your after some tapered suspension forks I have some Rock Shox Sektor R (off a 2011 Zesty) with C. 6 months use and a 2.4 mountain King tire i would be happy to sell you. £130 for the forks and £10 for the tire? If not I will put em up on Ebay

Just PM me

Thanks

Sam
  • paulmon
    sdavies141 wrote:
    Hi

If your after some tapered suspension forks I have some Rock Shox Sektor R (off a 2011 Zesty) with C. 6 months use and a 2.4 mountain King tire i would be happy to sell you. £130 for the forks and £10 for the tire? If not I will put em up on Ebay

Just PM me

Thanks

Sam

What length is the steerer ?
  • errrrm, are sektors not 140mm travel? so completely unsuitable for this bike?
  • Steerer is 213mm long ..... not sure if the length is too long, I am afraid I am not that knowledgable!

Thanks,

Sam
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    errrrm, are sektors not 140mm travel? so completely unsuitable for this bike?
    Can be lowered.
  • paulmon
    Well I made it up and down in one piece. Just. I had a little too much air in my front tyre to start with and its the first time I have encountered understeer on a pushbike. :shock: :shock: The climbs were a breeze but the blacks coming back down were a little scary. I couldn't get any where near my mates on full sus bikes but I sailed past them as soon as we started to climb. I've also managed to aggravate an old skiing injury in my hand due to the vibrations. At 40+ I definitely need something to take the edge of harsh surfaces so I'm going to get a set of 100mm Reba's with a poplock.
  • i see you keep your boardman in a cage. I kept mine in a cage and they dont like it .
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Too late for my helpful MTFU comment then... ;)

My mate rides a rigid 1 x 9 around N wales in the Winter for "skill sharpening and fitness" and rides most things around there. He is a bit good though (don't ever tell him I said that mind!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver