Sssshhh, it's the new guy!

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello everyone!

I'm at the beginning of the journey into cycling and in need of advice from you guys.

Bikeless at the moment but obviously looking to get one and get out there as soon as possible. Will mainly be using the bike for my ride to and from work. My journey will be around 4 miles each way. Going to work will be easy, it's downhill most of the way. Coming home will be more of a challenge as it's a steady climb with the odd steepish hill involved.

Come the weekend I will be looking to ride out on longer journeys to build up my fitness. The majority of my riding will be on roads but I don't really want to go down the road bike route.

I've been advised a hybrid is the way forward, this is where you guys come in!

Is an ali frame the way forward by virtue of lightness?
I erred on the side of MTB's purely because I like their looks. I always thought of hybrids as pretty much racing bikes with flat bars! Shows how much I know.
I've been told there is less resistance and drag with the hybrids larger wheel diameter compared to a standard 26" and wide knobbly tyre which the MTB possesses?

What about used bikes? Is it worthwhile pursuing? As much as I'm loving the idea of a brand spanker, I cannot foresee the other half allowing me to part with such an amount, especially as she thinks my cycling interest is purely a whim at the moment.
Would it be worthwhile buying a relatively cheap decent quality 2nd hand model until I get into the sport and decide that an upgrade is necessary. I think the savings in fuel alone would convince the missus should I decide to upgrade!!!

Also, could you kind people tell me what I should be looking for in a decent bike?

Long post..............apologies. So many questions from one who knows nowt. Thanks for staying with me.
Looking forward to joining in the biking debate. :)

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    welcome!

The forumites are great for hunting out brand new and second hand bargains to tantalise you - so whats your budget and are you sure you cant be tempted with a road bike...?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    4 miles is nothing, and you could do that on anything. Certainly don't base your decision on that route. I would dust off my grandad's old bike for it.

Base your bike around your ambitions. Unless your weekend rides are 10-15 miles or less, get a road bike, honestly. Anything else is a compromise. There is no reason NOT to buy one. They are more fun, more comfy, faster, blah blah. Lycra rocks. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried it. I don't know anyone who did a long ride in lycra and said 'never again, where are my Calvin Klein boxers and cargo shorts.'

Whats your budget - THis will make a difference. 1500+ = carbon (probably). 1k-1500 puts you top alu/lower carbon. 1k downwards = good alu but possibly lower spec or bad carbon and lower spec and 500 downwards is heavier alu and lower spec. By bad carbon, I just mean a less flashy brand, possibly a bit heavier. (expect a can of worms opened here, and for hands to be bitten off - there are exceptions to every rule, and yes, a Venge is better than a Ribble)

2nd hard bikes are great. I was pretty luck (I think) that I got bang on what I wanted. If you are young, fit and flexible (and normal dimensions) you can get away with anything. If you are older and less flexible a 'relaxed, sportive' bike may be more suitable. These generally don't force you to be so bent over, so more comfy for long days in the saddle.

As for a good and bad bike, its hard to say. Its very relative. Whats your budget?
  • Quick reply (cos it's my bedtime).

Disown whoever told you a hybrid is the way forward. They are mischievously wrong headed. Road bike. Esp if you're going to be riding uphill.

Used bike - yes - a very good idea, with a BUT. The but is that you need to know what size you'll need and have a fairly good idea of what you want in terms of make, model, spec, etc. Otherwise it's a bit of a hit and miss exercise which is likely to end up heavily influenced by how much you like the paint job of the frame.

Soooo. A few questions: age, height, weight. Long legged, short legged or medium. Budget (don't forget things like lights and helmet and lock and other essentials). General fitness level. Medium term goals (ie how long is "longer journeys" at the weekend).

ETA: a post check reveals that those MTB'ers put you on the hybrid track. You have to understand something about those MTB boys. They're not all, well, there, really. If you know what I mean. Well intentioned, but not so well directed.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Now go put your Bart Simpson suit on and write out 100 times on the blackboard "I will not think about a hybrid ever again".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    The only reason to buy a hybrid is so that you can have two months of blissful ignorance before one day you suddenly work out that you want a road bike.

I mean the correct number of bikes to have is always n+1 but that really isn't the way to do it!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Great user name! Haven't heard that phrase for over thirty years, which leads me to make an assumption about your age.
    Anyway, for a cheap but good quality road bike, I'd recommend a Triban - like a de-badged Specialized Allez, but about 30% cheaper. From what I can see on eBay, the summer of cycling has boosted interest and in turn, second-hand prices, so buy new for not much more and enjoy a warranty. If you want to upgrade in a while, you shouldnt lose too much money in selling on.

Last point- be prepared for the bike to be merely the first purchase in a long line - as mentioned, you'll need lights and probably a lock and perhaps (whisper it, so as not to cause the usual turgid arguments) a helmet.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited October 2012
    Welcome, did those MTB boys tell you to get a hybrid and pack you off here? Nasty bunch, I have a mind to tell them what for!

If you're wondering why everyone is saying Road Bike, its because the website had a hybrid/road bike war a few years back. Road bikes won because we asked the hybrid crew to try it and they never went back. I'm told it was a black road bike - its OK, I can say that joke.

Anyway, what you'll find that many of us, me included, purchased a hybrid first and for the reasons you did. After about six months and summer settles in the desire to ride faster for longer and further becomes a must and while some hybrids can cut it - like the £1000+ carbon Specialized ones that are essentially Roubaix frames (which in turn aren't as good as the Roubaix) - most hybrids won't.

For me it was my lower back, wrist and shoulders. The flat bar of a hybrid had me in a mostly fixed position so after 5-7miles cramp and pain settled in - I was 25, 26yrs old. The drop bar of a road bike offered me a multitude of riding positions, meaning I could rotate my shoulders, reposition my hands and take weight off my wrists and arch my back stretching those muscles.

Its more than that though. A road bike is just more engaging and nimble than a hybrid. I would argue that they're easier to go up hill with as well. Hybrids are a the compromise between MTB and road bike and IMO do neither well.

Road bikes are ideal for commuting (been doing so since 2007 and spent 06 on a hybrid) but they offer the ability to enjoy the weekend as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    welcome!

hybrids v road bikes? what they all said. ^^^^
    Particularly if you want to do longer rides at the weekend.

good luck
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    coriordan wrote:
    4 miles is nothing, and you could do that on anything. Certainly don't base your decision on that route. I would dust off my grandad's old bike for it.

This

Don't get bogged down in MTB v Road Bike V Hybrid

Scour Gumtree/Ebay (or visit your local decathlon) for something decent looking nearby, something cheap and cheerful. Buy an helmet (or don't). Buy a decent set of lights, a couple of innner tubes, a pump and you're good to go. Point it towards work and start pedalling.

Avoid anything from a catalogue or Argos - they're sh1te. Avoid Halfords really cheap brands - Apollo and Trax - they're sh1te too.

You don't need full suspension.

Then when you've got the bug you can buy something tastier in the January sales and put the first bike back on ebay.

Oh, and you don't need full suspension
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Surprised no-one's tried to talk him out of getting a hybrid... A hybrid. Ha.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Welcome!

Coming to this fresh you can not know whether you will eventually be drawn to the light or the dark side – some of us find ourselves drawn to flat-backed aero tucks and some of us find we lust after fat knobblies, rock drop-offs and a lift back up to the top of the mountain.

In other words, what I would NOT do right now is spend a lot of money on something high end – because it may well be high up the wrong end.

Your initial requirement is to ride a four mile commute with some climbing. For this to be enjoyable and set you on the path you will need;

1) Light. Very important. For lowish money you should be looking at something in Aluminium preferably second-hand (remember you will be upgrading this bike in six months  ). Even just front suspension will double the weight of your bike – you do not need suspension. Was I clear? No suspension.
    2) 700C wheels, on road it is a LOT easier than even slicked up 26” wheels.
    3) Mudguards. Wrap around ones, not the silly plastic things that stick up like a rooster’s tail.
    4) Assemble a small basic toolkit that you can carry on the bike or in your bag and include a pair of disposable rubber gloves in it.

Past that it becomes preference. Gears or singlespeed? Drop bars, flat bars, bullhorns? Assuming you are even slightly mechanically ept this will become your meccano set as you fettle it into budget commuter perfection.

Some caveats;
    1) Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted by shiny shiny and buy a cheap new bike (anything from a supermarket, Argos, Halfords (except from the Boardman or Carrera lines), etc.) You will really, really regret it in short order.
    2) Just because your backside hurts after the first couple of rides, do not go out and buy a pillowy ‘comfort’ saddle. Your ‘arris gets used to the punishment very quickly. Go and spend ~£20 notes on a Charge Spoon if you want the best saddle for the money.
    3) Pick your lights according to your needs. Is your route well lit? If so you can get away with ‘to be seen’ lights otherwise you will need to look at spending some cash here.
    4) Don’t buy a cheap lock (you know, one of those little chains with a combination swizzle or a cable lock from Poundland) at best buy no lock at all and keep your bike inside your office and inside your house, at worst get at least a decent D lock if you have to lock it in public.
    5) When thinking of things like clothing look at cycle – specific stuff first. It isn’t necessarily more expensive, but will do the job much better and you might as well buy the right stuff first (I must have got through three jackets to cycle in before I bought a bike specific one)

Ask for advice at every stage! We love to give it and, even if it will often be contradictory and based on personal preferences and prejudices it will save you a lot of hassle and expense.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited October 2012
    My girlfriend got a free bike from work. Her ride to work is only 2 miles, so any bike will do it, but the problem is that the bike is a hybrid. She hates it and will be upgrading to a road bike sometime next year as anything further than 20 miles is agony for her.
    If all you are going to be doing is the commute to and from work, anything will do, but if you plan to go further (and you will), get a road bike.

For an idea of what to buy, Coriordan has a decent list, but has completely missed out the material that most of the bikes in the world are made of, steel.
    I ride a 29 year old steel framed road bike (converted to fixed gear) and it is definitely more comfortable than my aluminium framed road bike.
    The different materials all have pros and cons. In terms of ride comfort, steel and carbon fibre are the most comfortable, aluminium provides a harsher ride. This won't be an issue for a four mile commute though.
    On bikes, like sports cars, lightness is key and improves your performance, so get the lightest bike you can. For this reason, I would say don't buy any bike with suspension. Double suspension is a definite no-no and front suspension for on-road or even light off-roading (e.g. canal tow paths) is unnecessary. Seat post suspension doesn't really work in my opinion and any bouncing around it does do just messes around with one of the most important measurements on a bike, the saddle height. Basically, don't get a bike with suspension.
    Generally speaking:
    Carbon will be the lightest and steel the heaviest with aluminium in the middle.
    Carbon will be the most expensive and steel the cheapest (this is skewed by el cheapo BSOs) with aluminium in the middle.
    Steel will be the longest lasting, carbon has the shortest lifespan (I may be wrong on this) with aluminium in the middle.

We'll need to know a few more things about you before we can scour ebay with suggestions.
    Height, weight (not exact, just if you are massively overweight or a real flyweight like Rick Chasey), long limbed or not and budget.

Don't forget to budget for a decent lock and lights, a helmet if you intend to wear one, clothing and at this time of year I would include full finger gloves in the list.

Oh yeah, welcome. Where are my manners?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Buy a road bike, or buy a hybrid and get ready to buy a road bike in 3 months. Oh, and welcome.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just to counter the "buy a road bike" consensus, it really depends on what kind of riding you have in mind. If you plan to ride primarily on the road then yes, they do have benefits. If you want a single bike that you can ride on the road, occasionally off road, on canal towpaths etc, a hybrid is a good option (or a cross bike possibly). Hybrids tend to have a more upright position and flat bars, both plus points if you are a bit older and less flexible / lacking confidence in traffic. Its just a bit silly to suggest that a road bike is right for everybody. More upright riding positions are the norm for most European commuters and also for long distance touring. Its amazing how many of the dop bar advocates spend almost all their riding time on the hoods and have their front end stacked with spacers / sportive geometry. Ultimately its just a fashion thing - a hybrid may well be what you need and you shouldn't let some of the posts above put you off.

Oh yeah, my cat 1 clubmate commutes on a hybrid. Funny that!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:
    Just to counter the "buy a road bike" consensus, it really depends on what kind of riding you have in mind. If you plan to ride primarily on the road then yes, they do have benefits. If you want a single bike that you can ride on the road, occasionally off road, on canal towpaths etc, a hybrid is a good option (or a cross bike possibly). Hybrids tend to have a more upright position and flat bars, both plus points if you are a bit older and less flexible / lacking confidence in traffic. Its just a bit silly to suggest that a road bike is right for everybody. More upright riding positions are the norm for most European commuters and also for long distance touring. Its amazing how many of the dop bar advocates spend almost all their riding time on the hoods and have their front end stacked with spacers / sportive geometry. Ultimately its just a fashion thing - a hybrid may well be what you need and you shouldn't let some of the posts above put you off.

This isn't an argument against road bikes, it's an argument for N+1...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:

This isn't an argument against road bikes, it's an argument for N+1...

True that, but I got the impression OP was on a budget...
  • If you're 100% you wont be doing any longer rides at the weekend then a hybrid is great for your commute...

...I went down that route in April, ending up loving cycling so much I started cycling to work 18 miles each way, didnt intend doing that mileage when I bought the bike of course and within 3 months I understood what they hell all these freaks were going on about with their pathetic road bike vs hybrid wars (see DonDaddyD's post above, we've all been there ;) ).

I got 4 months use of the hybrid before I got the road bike. If you still decide on a hybrid i would definitely get a cheaper one second hand - although be careful you get the right size as others have said. If you get a cheap one second hand then you'll lose a lot less money if you decide on switching to a road bike.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and no you can't just swap the flat bars for drop bars later.

Well, you CAN but really: you can't.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    Hybrid vs Road Bike

Specialized Sirrus 2012
    Specialized Roubaix 2012

Giant Rapid 2 2012
    Giant Defy 2 - comes with full Shimano tiagra.

My point is that Hybrids - which often use the same frame as the roadbike counterpart - are often overpriced when compare the spec. Not hugely, but I would argue that you get better road going components on the road even if it is just the difference in the shifters and rear mech. Point in case I have never seen a good deal when it comes to hybrids. I have seen many great deals when it comes to road bikes.

Hybrids are often 'kit bashed' with existing parts from MTBs and road bikes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    BigMat wrote:
    He does it to lower his FCN (food chain number - OP see silly commuter racing, It's not a race and the actual thread) so he has more opportunity to claim scalps. Furthermore nothing is more satisfying than knowing that the lycra'd-up-carbon-wonder can't keep up with you up a hill, in a sprint or cruising on a flat. You can almost hear the cry of "Oh no" when he breaks while you're on a hybrid.

Doesn't mean they're a good choice of bike though.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    BigMat wrote:

I agree, nothing wrong with hybrids if you want a more upright riding position, some people just don't feel comfortable thrown forward on the bike. I see a lot of people commuting or riding round London on road bikes with the bars up at some silly angle to raise themselves up when they should simply have bought a hybrid which would have given them that sort of riding position in the 1st place.

Hybrids can, as you point out, simply be road bikes with relaxed "sportive" geometry and flat bars, or they can be more aligned to an MTB with fatter tyres and disc brakes etc.

Based on a 4 mile commute, I really wouldn't worry too much, just get something cheap and comfortable. If you have plans to rapidly increase your road mileage and speed then perhaps a road bike would be a good way to go. If you plan to increase your mileage with light offroad then may be an MTB orientated hybrid, if you're planning low mileage, leisure road or family riding as well as the short commute then perhaps a road bike orientated hybrid.

If you do go for a road bike, you should probably aim for something "sportive" orientated rather than race. Alternatively there are CX bikes....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    For less that it takes to fill Greg66's car

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50 ... 02062.html
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    If you ride mainly on the hoods, position is not so far off a hybrid anyways.
    I have both MTB and road bike, so weather and route dependant for my commute. As above, a 4 mile commute can be done on a bmx :-) .
  • DonDaddyD
    BigMat wrote:

I agree, nothing wrong with hybrids if you want a more upright riding position, some people just don't feel comfortable thrown forward on the bike. I see a lot of people commuting or riding round London on road bikes with the bars up at some silly angle to raise themselves up when they should simply have bought a hybrid which would have given them that sort of riding position in the 1st place.

Hybrids can, as you point out, simply be road bikes with relaxed "sportive" geometry and flat bars, or they can be more aligned to an MTB with fatter tyres and disc brakes etc.

Based on a 4 mile commute, I really wouldn't worry too much, just get something cheap and comfortable. If you have plans to rapidly increase your road mileage and speed then perhaps a road bike would be a good way to go. If you plan to increase your mileage with light offroad then may be an MTB orientated hybrid, if you're planning low mileage, leisure road or family riding as well as the short commute then perhaps a road bike orientated hybrid.

If you do go for a road bike, you should probably aim for something "sportive" orientated rather than race. Alternatively there are CX bikes....
    I disagree.

I ride a Giant SCR 3 - here is the Bikeradar review

I had a Giant Escape M2 before that. You can see it was upright. It was far less comfortable.

You see the extra long head tube on the SCR gives me as upright a position as I need. I actually had to lower it. The drop bar gives more hand position options, while also giving me the option to make things more racey on the fly: think Froome/Wiggins upright mountain climbing style, or Contador's out of the saddle dance and then getting into the 'Cavendish tuck' sprint when the road levels out and I need to beat the lights- can't do that on a hybrid.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Just to be contrary...

I had a road bike before I built my hybrid. I now find my hybrid more comfortable, more convenient and much more confidence inspiring in and around traffic. I don't do any massive rides on it, but I might do a 30-40 mile evening ride, or a 50 mile jaunt on a weekend. It was built for going to work or the shops, but now my road bike hasn't been out of the shed in 2 months. The hybrid is heavier, probably not as quick, but I just enjoy riding it more.

This being said, I am a mtber and in all fairness, maybe my road bike isn't set up properly.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Boy Lard wrote:
    Just to be contrary...

I had a road bike before I built my hybrid. I now find my hybrid more comfortable, more convenient and much more confidence inspiring in and around traffic. I don't do any massive rides on it, but I might do a 30-40 mile evening ride, or a 50 mile jaunt on a weekend. It was built for going to work or the shops, but now my road bike hasn't been out of the shed in 2 months. The hybrid is heavier, probably not as quick, but I just enjoy riding it more.

This being said, I am a mtber and in all fairness, maybe my road bike isn't set up properly.

You were doing so well, and then blew it at the end.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I disagree.

I ride a Giant SCR 3 - here is the Bikeradar review

I had a Giant Escape M2 before that. You can see it was upright. It was far less comfortable.

You see the extra long head tube on the SCR gives me as upright a position as I need. I actually had to lower it. The drop bar gives more hand position options, while also giving me the option to make things more racey on the fly: think Froome/Wiggins upright mountain climbing style, or Contador's out of the saddle dance and then getting into the 'Cavendish tuck' sprint when the road levels out and I need to beat the lights- can't do that on a hybrid.

Yes but if the guy is only riding 4 miles to work and on the way back it's uphill, how much opportunity do you really think there will be for a "Cavendish Tuck"?! Clearly a lot of us on here, esp in London, take the whole race to work seriously but for someone who's riding 4 miles to work and that's it and may not be comfortable in the saddle, a hybrid may suit. Of course if s/he plans to develop his/her riding in future then I would seriously consider a road bike...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • OP - It's quite simple, get the bike that suits the weekend riding the best. You can ride 4 miles easily on a mountain bike, road bike, penny farthing, whatever. The problem with hybrids is that they're neither one thing nor another, they may well 'manage' off road, but they're rubbish compared to a mountain bike. They're OK on road, but on a longer ride, a road bike makes life much easier. They may even help you look like a victorian gentleman, but the penny farthing far outstrips them in this area too. They're a compromise, nothing more.

If you're not sure about what riding you're likely to want to do at the weekend, get a cheap second-hand bike to get you moving to start, use it a couple of months then move it on when you know what it is you actually want.

Which will be a road bike. :twisted:
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    My 2p's worth:

In the new year I decided to treat myself to a new commuting workhorse, upgrading from my circa 10year old Trek hybrid. I'd never ridden a road bike before, so played it safe (worried I wouldn't be able to adapt to the bum up, head down posture) and stuck with what I knew.

My new purchase reignited my (teen) enjoyment of cycling and over the spring/summer I started joining up with local club rides to improve my fitness and just to have fun. The rides range from anywhere between 40 and 80 miles and at a pretty good pace. My hybrid is more road orientated, relatively light and I've added short bar ends to it to give me extra hand positions - although still slightly restrictive (when compared to drop bars) and my wrists do sometimes get a bit achy on the longer rides.

On the commute, it's perfect. Disc brakes offer great stopping power in busy unpredictable traffic and the slightly more upright geometry means I have more of an awareness of what's going on around me. Although more recently I have been riding with the saddle higher so I can get my head down a bit - Don't ever download Strava, it's not good for you.

I'd say if budget can only afford one bike, go hybrid, but a road-orientated one. Especially if it's primarily going to be used for commuting.

After all this though, I will be getting a road bike in time for next summer. Hybrid for commute, Roadie for club runs and longer rides.

N+1 has begun...
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • flimflam_machine
    flimflam_machine Posts: 263
    edited October 2012
    I'm reiterating what a lot of people have said so I'll be brief:

- You can do 4 miles on anything
    - You don't know what kind of riding you want to do in the long run
    - "Hybrid" covers pretty much everything from a front suspension MTB fitted with slicks to a road bike with flat bars
    - You do not need any suspension and you will just regret it uphill

On the basis of that I'd say you should buy:

- A second-hand hybrid of decent but not top brand (e.g., carrera, ridgeback, boardman) in good nick
    - A tool kit
    - A book on bike maintenance
    - Lights
    - Safety gear (helmet, gloves) as required
    - A d-lock

I reckon that you should buy a hybrid precisely because it is a compomise and you will get a feel for which way you want to jump. Do your commute on that for a few months and try some longer rides of whatever type you fancy (road, bridlepath, mixed, off-road). Try out a few bikes from your LBS (local bike shop) and try to get a feel for how each one would change your ride - road bikes will be lighter and faster, MTBs slower on road, but better off road. Then buy another bike that suits your needs more specifically (and sell the old one if you must).

One warning, when the lycra-clad hooligans on here say "road bike" they generally mean something racey, hence all the references to crabon fibre. There are other types of road bikes (tourers, audax bikes) which are still fast, but more comfy and better at hauling stuff around in panniers. Many of them are steel, which is a very good material to build bikes from, and some excellent old-school bikes can be picked up for not very much cash.

P.S. You don't need suspension unless you finally decide to get an MTB. I know I've said this already, but it bears repeating.

P.P.S. Needless weight should be avoided, but spend heaps more cash to get a slightly lighter bike is not worth it especially if it compromises comfort or functionality.
  • I started with a commute. Mine is slightly shorter than the OP's - 3 miles or so, but then I started riding the long way round as I was enjoying myself. I bought a Brompton as I wanted a bike I could keep easily in the house, under my desk in work and also take on the train (I bike - train - bike to work). The Brompton saved me money as you can ride it in normal clothes and I didn't have to buy any expensive locks.

Then ...
    Dellsinho wrote:
    N+1 has begun...
    Yeah, that. I retrieved my "dutch style" bike from my parents garage, and enjoyed longer journeys with the kids at weekends.

Then I bought a road bike and my mileage ambitions have grown to make me want to ditch the train part of my commute occasionally, and also am planning some 100mile + rides next summer.

So my advice would be - buy what you want and expect to buy more!