superstar nanos paint issue

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I recently bought a pair of Nano thru pin flat pedals in white and after just two rides the white paint is cracking and peeling off in huge pieces. I know that some chipping is to be expected but this is like the entire length of the pedal just peeled off in one piece. I'm not happy with the quality, which is unfortunate as the size of the platform and grip provided are great and make a huge difference.

What are other peoples experiences of these pedals, have I just got a bad pair, and does anyone have any idea if Superstar will accept this as a warranty issue and replace them?

Comments

• Speak to superstar, but the whiteness is unlikely to last on any pedal for any length of time..
  • Paint is always going to chip and flake especially when it is on such an exposed part of the bike.

This is the problem with white pedals... you cannot anodise in pure white, so to have white pedals it needs to be painted. Just suck it up, it's not superstars' fault - in general you'd get the same problem no matter what make.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not strictly true you could get them powder coated which you would of thought superstar would do.
  • Fair point.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it's not
    White is a stupid colour for pedals (and grips and saddles) IMHO.
    But any colour will wear off sooner or later.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MDobs
    TNT - fair enough, like I said i was expecting chipping but just not the whole paint job to peal off after two rides. oh well, you have to pay fiver extra for the chrome option... i've just got it for free :wink:

i'm loving the extra grip compared to the stock wellgos that they replaced, I just thought that they'd use a tougher finishing. I've contacted Superstar so will see what they say, just seeing what others experience of them are.

Cooldad - you really wouldn't like my bike then...
  • Anonymous
    powder coating wouldnt flake off like paint does.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    @MDobs - probably not - anything on a bike should be black, natural metal, or if you want blingy - gunmetal. Red may be acceptable under certain circumstances as it makes you go faster. This is a well known fact.

@jimmy182 - in the case of white pedals, the sooner it all flakes off the better. IMHO as I said earlier, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Does it affect your or their performance?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Contact Superstar before moaning on a forum.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    edited October 2012
    the blue ones i had, the colour wore off so you could see the silver underneath, but definately no peeling off
  • No issue with my orange ones apart from when I've scraped them on rocks, crashes etc; no flaking or peeling just user mis-use. No complaints.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, the other colours are anodised.

White is always going to come off a pedal but with my MG1s it took a long time to wear significantly, sounds like these are coming apart a bit faster than they should, but it's always going to happen sooner or later.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My M530's are still white except where they've been whacked/scraped on rocks and that's after a season and half of riding most days
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I have them in white, after a year of heavy abuse probably lost 25% of the wite pain, still work fine though
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    jimmy182 wrote:
    powder coating wouldnt flake off like paint does.

If done properly, paint is actually a lot tougher - especially on aluminium. Never understood the fascination with powder coating - it's cheap and quick, but it's benefits end there.

It sounds in this case like the paint process hasn't been done properly (maybe a primer issue?) especially as others with similar pedals get better life from the finish.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • powder coating should be better unless they havent heated them corectly for the powder coating to adhere properly.
  • Anonymous
    Davie mac wrote:
    powder coating should be better unless they havent heated them corectly for the powder coating to adhere properly.

This.

Powder coating is far superior to painting when and where friction comes in to play and as a rule more expensive than painting for the exact same reason.
  • MDobs
    Contact Superstar before moaning on a forum.

I have contacted them and i don't think my post is out of order, I'm simply trying to establish if this is a normal level of wear or not, which i can only do by asking people.

As I said I'm more than happy with the function of the pedal. I knew that the paint would chip but wasn't expecting this much so soon. I've had a response from superstar and will be returning the pedals for them to assess so I'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the responses.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    it doesn't matter what colour they are, your pedals should be worn, scratched and covered in mud, and who can see them when your on the bike anyway ? :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Paint would wear and scratch for sure, it shouldn't come off in flakes, so I do suspect a preperation/primer issue, sounds like you're getting the normal level of Superstar customer service (which is very good) anyway. My daughter has painted Diamnondback pedals (in pink!) and where the paint on that has worn away it's to a white primer base, no metal showing other than at distinct scratches.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    jimmy182 wrote:
    Davie mac wrote:
    powder coating should be better unless they havent heated them corectly for the powder coating to adhere properly.

This.

Powder coating is far superior to painting when and where friction comes in to play and as a rule more expensive than painting for the exact same reason.

You've been mislead, I'm afraid.

Here's some details, gleaned from about 15,000 hrs of aggressive part testing in a related industries, which should give a better picture.

There is very little chemical adhesion between polyester powder and metal substrates. What you mostly have is a microscopic interlock beteen the plastic and the metal surfaces. Now, I don't know if you've seen metal surfaces under a microscope but there is little in the way of surface roughness. Either way, the powder grips the metal. A slight knock can (and will) dislodge the plastic from the metal surface (without breaking the plastic, so it still looks good, givng the impression that it's doing it's job), causing micocavities between the plastic and the metal where moisture will form. Add to this that the palstics are often hydroscopic and more moisture can react with the surface. This moisute leads to corrosion, which lifts further plastic and the problem just runs away with itself. It's a plastic coating - there is no repair strategy apart from blast off and start again, by which time, the underlying substrate is usually significantly damaged. Aluminium can still suffer too, and there is even less grab between the plastic and the metal in these cases.

Primers used in paint form a chemical bond (or should do) with the metal surface - the two combine so one shouldn't be able to lift away from the other. without taking some of the metal with it. The paint then (or should) bond with the primer. Two layers, chemically attached to each other and to the underlying surface. If done right it can have better wear properties than just powder coat, and better impact performance too. This is why the paint is still on my car, when the powder coating has long since flaked off in sheets.

It is the speed of the powder coat process which industry likes, because that process speed makes it a lower cost alternative. If you get someone to quote for respraying a bare bike frame, then get a quote for getting it powder coated, you'll notice the difference. However, a lot of industry also realises that paint is a superior finish and will use is despite the time/cost disadvantage. That, and you can paint bigger parts (oilrigs etc).

If you want further evidence - talk to anyone involved in exterior finishes in the auto OEMs (not accessories, they're generally pretty clueless). Anyone involved in metal finishes in the aero industy will tell you the same. Same with petro-chem; bike building; yellow goods (JCB are happy to talk about such things), white goods. You'll get the same answer as the one I've just given.

It could be argued that the exception to this is if the plastic coating is based on true adhesive chemistries - epoxy for instance. These give a very, very tough surface (but at serious cost penalty), but this is NOT a powder coating process - it's a paint process.

Hope that helps.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    i have the Nano techs in gunmetal and due to the nature of this sport doesn't matter what make of pedals they are they are going to get wet, muddy, sandy, bashed on roots and rocks and worn by your shoes. Mine are absolutly battered but i don't care as they are amazing pedals, much better than the DMR V12 mags i had before which were also rather beaten up after a while.

Ben :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Hello im personally not a fan of painted parts but unfortunately its impossible to anodise white. The market demands the colour so we have to do it, same with chrome finish.

As im sure you would get the standard reply if you have emailed us. We would have said that paint will scratch, chip and wear and this is to be expected as part of wear and tear BUT if your not happy please return them for a warranty inspection.

We dont have a blanket policy, everything is done on a case by case basis. But we need to see it in person to make that descision. Generally we ask people to choose an anodised finish, as pedals get the most stick of any part on a bike and it will just keep happening if replaced with the same. Anodised is the most durable finish.

If you have any questions please let me know, Neil (Superstar)
  • Another good response from SS.

Me, I'd have just said "fkoff, you bought white painted pedals, wtf do you expect you jibbering ape!"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Clank wrote:
    Blah
    he knows his stuff you know :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Hello im personally not a fan of painted parts but unfortunately its impossible to anodise white. The market demands the colour so we have to do it, same with chrome finish.

As im sure you would get the standard reply if you have emailed us. We would have said that paint will scratch, chip and wear and this is to be expected as part of wear and tear BUT if your not happy please return them for a warranty inspection.

We dont have a blanket policy, everything is done on a case by case basis. But we need to see it in person to make that descision. Generally we ask people to choose an anodised finish, as pedals get the most stick of any part on a bike and it will just keep happening if replaced with the same. Anodised is the most durable finish.

If you have any questions please let me know, Neil (Superstar)

Thats interesting-Ive found the chrome finish on my nanos to be very durable!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Generally we ask people to choose an anodised finish

Which are the colours with anodized finishes?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Generally we ask people to choose an anodised finish

Which are the colours with anodized finishes?

Everything apart from White and chrome on the nanos I believe.

Mags are a different animal though.
  • RyanCTJ
    RyanCTJ Posts: 16
    I've had the paint flaking off my white Superstar Nanos after a couple of good rides recently too. It doesn't bother me at all, the pedals are superb. Will just get them in another colour next time.