Tough Tyres?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
That aren't as heavy as my minions, but aren't as shite as the nevegal for grip?

2.5" required too!

I want to drop a bit of rolling weight on the Canyon, I run minions as my favourite tyre but they're heavy (DH dualply carcass).. never had any puncture issues and they hold shape really really well at lower pressures.

Don't mind using different tyres, would like something faster rolling at the back.

N.B. - local trails aren't generally very muddy, they drain well and its mainly loose slippy rock.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I quite like high rollers, run 2.35 but you can get a 2.5
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I just ordered a set of these;

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bontrager-XR4-Team-Issue-Tyre_127081.htm

They're meant to come up pretty big and that's a pretty good price too.

Alternatively I've had a set of 2.5" Michelin's on the DH bike all summer and they've been faultless on the dry, loose stuff over here...just can't remember the name of them :oops:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Sounds like you need some Specialized tyres with the SX casing. It's kind of a 1.5 ply with a Kevlar, folding, bead and they save 300 ish grammes over a full DH tyre. This 1.5 ply means that they're noticeably tougher than single ply tyres but are noticeably lighter than a full 2-ply DH tyre.

You're a big guy :wink: so I think that single ply tyres might not be the best for you!!!

I picked up 2 hardly used Butcher SXs and 1 brand new Clutch SX from EBay recently (£46 for the Butchers and £26 for the Clutch), all in 2.3" width.

The Butcher looks very much like a Minion, which you'll like :wink:

Specialized tyres are bloody good, IIRC they're made by Cheng Shin Tyre who also make Maxxis. Because Specialized fit their own tyres to every bike they sell, they buy a lot from CST and, therefore, they get a lot of R&D done for them (read all this on tinternet but can't find the link now).

They come up big in size compared to Maxxis (actually their measurements are correct, not exaggerated), so their 2.3" are pretty close in width to a 2.5" Maxxis. Good dual compounds as well - nice & sticky.
  • I assume this is for the DH bike to be used mostly at cwmcarn? If so, I'm going to go for a big betty (gazlar)

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Schwa ... spx?ID=596

only 2.4, but trust me when I say they come up HUGE!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tough but light my choice would be Snakeskin 2.4 Nics. If you like Minions a 3C on the front and a 60a folder on the back is a great combo. Could also go for a 2.4 HRII.

Bettys are fantastic but 1.1kg for a wired Vertstar. The folding Pacestar version is good but no different to a 60a folding Minion & slightly less grippy imho.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You can get Super Tacky EXO Minion's now or the 3C one for the front and run it with maybe an Ardent on the back. The 2.4's are bigger than the 2.5 Minion's and roll a lot faster but still grip really well. If you get the Ardent give it a try on the front. Sure it lacks the out and out grip of a Minion but it bites in to the ground really well, feels much like a Minion the way it bites in. I was using one up until recently when I tried a 2.35 High Roller again and ended up really liking it so stuck with it, I hated it when I last tried it but this time was different.
  • I assume this is for the DH bike to be used mostly at cwmcarn? If so, I'm going to go for a big betty (gazlar)

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Schwa ... spx?ID=596

only 2.4, but trust me when I say they come up HUGE!

The bike is currently stuck between DH and Enduro... I don't mind saving the DH tyres for DH (which I do anyway), but I want something almost as grippy for day to day without the weight so I'm looking for something more at the Enduro end.

There is a big difference in the rolling speed when I stick the Nevegals on, but the grip is terrible! Its actually quite scary, I won't even attempt the DH track with the Nevegals on anymore!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Maxxis Ardents are quality.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hans dampf is probably the best bet I have seen. Theoretically a trail tyre, but big and very tough.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Hans dampf is probably the best bet I have seen. Theoretically a trail tyre, but big and very tough.
    Thats quite a good shout...
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    2.4 Black Chili Rubber Queens

They are huge volume and the 2.4 has something called Apex sidewall which i think is like Schwalbe's snake skin.

not cheap though
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    A lot of folks round here use muddy marys, the 2.35's come out like a 2.5 maxxis, folding version are sub 1KG and the grip is awesome from the few quick runs I've had, and they roll ok too. A muddy mary up front with a hans dampf on rear could be a good combo.
  • Does the dampf come in any bigger than 2.35?

Can get the 2.35 on eBay for £25...
  • benpinnick
    No, but it's a full 2.35, not a pretend one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cool will see what varieties they do :)
  • benpinnick
    Either Super Gravity Vert Star, Super G Trailstar or Snakeskin Trailstar I would say. Ive not tried the vertstar, but they are supposed to be even tougher.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd second the Specialized SX... Not quite as sticky a compound as a supertacky maxxis but it's a great halfway between dual and singleply. My Clutches have been fab, just picked up some Butchers to try.

oh yah, Specialized are one of the tyre companies that own a ruler, so their 2.3 is a genuine 2.3, ie the size of a Maxxis 2.5.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hmmmmm lol!

Too many decisions... probably why I just end up buying minions each time!

Is an expensive game to try out something new!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah yes. Also, the Specializeds can be cheap ;) They come as standard on some of their bikes and loads of people seem to sell them unused. I paid on average about £15 each for mine and all but one was unridden :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Tend to get my DH tyres from the LBS, they have a race team and use tyres just once or twice then sell them for a tenner each!

But, they're only big dh tyres! No trail tyres :( meh.