Don't do this to me!!

Smalls
Smalls Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all first time as op so please be nice.

At the front end of the year a good friend of mine roped me in to comiting to ride from St Albans Hertfordshire to Marbella Spain (ride to portsmouth, ferry to Santander, ride straight down to Marbs. aprox 90 miles per day for 9 days riding) I am completely new to road biking so at the end of April I bought a bike and all the gear and got stuck in to some training. It all has been going well apart from some knee pain when I first started but with some minor adjustment to cleats and set up it vanished and I have been feeling great.

What started out as an idea over a few drinks has turned into a full blown charity ride and our fundraising is currently at £20k with a week to go until we leave. Last week I put my bike in for a service to make sure it's in tip top condition new pads, new chain and cassette go out on Sunday for our last longish run before we go and BAM left knee is screaming at me after about 60 miles!!! Training has been great I feel great we are a week away and this happens. Nothing has changed with my set up only a new chain, this wouldn't cause it would it??!! I'm stumped and pissed off. I went out today for 25 to see how it would feel and I could feel it coming on after only a few miles.

Going to see a physio tomorrow to try and magic me a knew knee, wish me luck ;0)

Smally

Comments

• LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    Hey smaller, Is the pain running down the side of your knee?
  • Smalls
    That's exactly where it is!!
  • Probably seat height. Had the same thing, pain on the outside at the 20 mile mark every time. Lowered the seatpost quite a bit and hey presto, its gone.

Turns out i was overflexing the leg hence the pain would come on.
  • LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    Ok, I've had similar problems in the past, I was running a set of Look pedals with minimal float. I would get this pain after a few miles of every ride, the muscle down the outside of my left knee would go really tight.

Swapped over pedals to shimano 105's, these have 3 degrees of float either side, and luckily had no real problems since.

Could be worth a try, if your problem is similar. Perhaps also, check out your set up again, cleat alignment and seat height etc.

If you get sorted, good luck with your adventure!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    to be honest this ALSO sounds like what I got - screaming pain down the outside of the knee.
    Mine wasn't caused by cleat positioning but by a tight IT band. There are loads of threads and stuff on the forum and internet about this, but for me (and I would say I am a standard patient) it requires DEEP tissue massage (the kind which makes you shout out in pain, done by a physio), LOTS of stretching of quads and a foam roller. I have the orange one with dimples and it thrashes you as it can really get in there to massage out the knots. I have pretty much entirely got rid of mine through:
    Stretching lots after/before rides
    Using the foam roller - it REALLY hurts and REALLY works - make sure you keep breathing rather than wincing in pain and tensing up
    Deep tissue massages from Physio (about 3-4 sessions, 1 per week)
    Building quads - in 2 ways - out of the saddle climbing + out of the saddle sprinting.

A week is quite a short space of time, but I reckon if you can religiously roll yourself to kingdom come and back you will notice a considerable difference.

Good luck!

90x9 is a lot of riding, so I would strongly suggest sticking a foam roller in your bag for warm downs. you WILL need it. I imagine you could improvise one, but they really are great (and I am the worlds biggest cynic) Mine is hollow inside so it wouldn't even take up much space as you could stuff it full of clothes, and lightweight
  • Smalls
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I was advised a while ago to use a foam roller and have got a brand new one all ready to go, I suppose I should start using it. I will also have a look at the seat height in the morning. It's just weird that all has been well for so long and then this comes out of the blue just before we set off but hey these things a sent to test us.

Thanks again