Trialing the carriage of bikes on light rail in S Yorkshire

megilleland
megilleland Posts: 786
edited November 2012 in Campaign
Just had this e-mailed to me and is of importance for cyclists putting their bikes on trains. Couldn't see this in the forums.

A message from Mick Nott, Chair of CycleSheffield:

I on behalf of CycleSheffield have put up an e-petition appealing for the DfT and Minister for Transport to change Stagecoach's mind about trialling the carriage of bikes on light-rail. It has has gone live today so sign away please - it's up there to 8 October 2013.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39937

Trialing the carriage of bicycles on light rail in South Yorkshire

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We petition that the 2015 trial of light railway (tram-train) between Rotherham and Sheffield in South Yorkshire includes trialling of the carriage of standard bicycles.
This is a national trial of light-rail intended to inform similar UK schemes. Its evaluation should include evidence about the carriage of bicycles to inform such transport developments. We believe that a major opportunity to develop the integration of mass transport with the use of bicycles will be ignored and lost to the detriment of sustainable transport.
Heavy rail is integrated with cycling and light rail and metro systems in other countries carry bicycles with no safety problems or conflicts of interests with wheelchairs, pushchairs or mobility scooters.
We ask the DfT and the Minister for Transport to request that the operating company, Stagecoach, and the project sponsors, South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive, change their decision not to allow the carriage of standard bicycles for these trials.
The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.

Comments

• This is a fantastic idea.

Countless times I've been scuppered and even left stranded with a broken bike once because Stagecoach don't let bicycles on.

If I could sign it a million times I would! Once will do though...
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/