Clicking

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I've noticed a clicking coming from my crank when pedalling. It only seems to happen when I put pressure on my left pedal. I'm new to bikes and cycling so wonder if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be the cause.

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    There's a great thread in workshop viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12581556.

Think the main advice is that it could be coming from the left crank or it could be noise transmitted from somewhere else - often a process of elimination. My first bottom bracket creak was my saddle (lubricated the rail/saddle contacts and hey presto) and the second bb creak was actually the bb!! Good luck with getting rid as its a right pain in the nethers.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Tighten everything. Pedals, crank, chainring bolts, BB shell. Sorted.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I had exaclty the same on my Moda. Was driving me insane. I investigated on the turbo trainer using light pressure, and one time i thought it was the rear wheel as I could feel and hear it only on climbs.

After a few rides of trying differrent things I removed the left crank arm, cleaned all the dirt, grime and grit using WD40, dried it so it looked brand new, applied some proper grease and put back on the bike. The click has gone and never returned.

Yours may not be the same, as it could be the pedal or something else, but hopefully I have helped to eliminate one thing :)
  • I had one of these, it was driving me mad, I tightened everything, cleaned everything....still clicking. Then noticed on a ride that the bit of gear cable coming out of the front mech was sticking out and tapping the crank every time it passed!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    When mine makes noises in that area it is nearly always due to the gear indexing being very slightly out, tiny adjsutment of the rear barrel adjuster and it's sorted.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Thanks for all the advice. Someone at work said it could be a loose pedal. I'll have a look at it on the weekend