Drifting through the corners.

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I've been watching loads of vid and plays of the riders seem to drift or flick the back wheel mid corner and personally it looks good but maybe not so much when racing. I'm just wondering how they do this, I've been trying but just can't make it flick out.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go faster
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    probably a sharp dab of rear brake, then be ready to 'catch' the slide and hold it without it flicking you off the other way.

if you go absolutly balls out into a really loose corner and weight the front heavy it will probably go aswell
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Try it on loose shale. At a slow pace, turn slightly, but sharply and push with your heel to whip the back wheel out slightly. Weight on the front wheel will help. When doing it at higher speeds into fast bermed corners, remember to tilt the bike beneath you, don't lean like a motoGP racer. It's much easier to catch and hold a slide this way.
  • irvs
    Cheers for the tips lads il be giving it some practice.

Thanks neil
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    sanchez89 wrote:
    probably a sharp dab of rear brake, then be ready to 'catch' the slide and hold it without it flicking you off the other way.

if you go absolutly balls out into a really loose corner and weight the front heavy it will probably go aswell
    This, doesn't really work in really compacted corners like trail centres, but it's silly fun on looser trails. Not very fast though :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The proper way is to use weight transfer. Shift your weight to the front of bike, this un-weights the back end allowing it to break traction and slide round while using your hips and legs to push the back end round. Helps to learn on loose gravel or muddy conditions where you are traction limited at the best of times.

The cheat way is to use the rear brake to skid round the corner.
  • irvs
    I had a wee go on some fire roads last night between trails, fun trying it though seemed to work better if I give it a dab of the back brake also, as mentioned. Ill just have to keep practicing.

Cheers lads.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    TBH I wouldn't actually bother to learn to drift. It just comes naturally as you go faster, I would concentrate on learning good cornering technique and practice getting faster and the drifting will just happen.

I guess Cooldad summarised it well:
    cooldad wrote:
    Go faster
  • bluechair84
    jairaj wrote:
    TBH I wouldn't actually bother to learn to drift. It just comes naturally as you go faster, I would concentrate on learning good cornering technique and practice getting faster and the drifting will just happen.

cooldad wrote:
    Go faster

But only if you have the correct position on the bike. Somethings are very hard to achieve or control if you don't. And that doesn't come naturally to everyone. Manuals are another thing that can't just be learnt naturally through riding lots, if you developed a style different to the technique, you'll find it very hard.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Drifting by back braking is a good way to practice the feeling, but please don't do it when you're out riding, it's a quick way to make holes in the trail.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    jairaj wrote:

cooldad wrote:
    Go faster

But only if you have the correct position on the bike. Somethings are very hard to achieve or control if you don't. And that doesn't come naturally to everyone. Manuals are another thing that can't just be learnt naturally through riding lots, if you developed a style different to the technique, you'll find it very hard.
    Very true. I was being a bit facetious. I don't mind the back kicking out a bit but being both a coward and delicate I prefer my wheels planted and as close to the ground as possible.
    Even on little jumps (I don't do big ones) when other people are flying I tend to push into the slope and hardly get any air.
    Throwback to my MX days when I was taught that whenever the back wheel is spinning or off the ground you're losing traction and hence speed.
    A pic of me from those days :
    img20525_flrcad.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    edited October 2012
    If you're using the brakes it's skidding, not drifting. And as has already been said, please don't do it on the trails, it rips them up. There are exceptions when it's acceptable, mostly when it's your own little trail that you built.

A word of warning though, if you do it a lot you will find you go through bushings and frame bearings very quickly, especially if you do a lot of cutties. That's assuming you're on a full suspension bike.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Slack head angle and a long front centre will help, less likely to end up over the bars.

Not sure I'd want to try it on a XC type bike.
  • irvs
    Thanks again for the tips, I know the score no skidding on the trails, it's just really for fun on the fire roads between trails.

Neil.
  • DannyUK
    DannyUK Posts: 106
    All the gear, loads of fear...
  • bluechair84
    cooldad wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

cooldad wrote:
    Go faster

Very true. I was being a bit facetious. I don't mind the back kicking out a bit but being both a coward and delicate I prefer my wheels planted and as close to the ground as possible.
    Even on little jumps (I don't do big ones) when other people are flying I tend to push into the slope and hardly get any air.
    Throwback to my MX days when I was taught that whenever the back wheel is spinning or off the ground you're losing traction and hence speed.
    A pic of me from those days :
    img20525_flrcad.jpg

That's incredible...

Why did the Flinstones have motorised bikes but not cars!?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but is the suspension on that front end not dissimilar to a torsion beam? Seriously advanced bit of kit that!
  • cooldad
    Yeah but the lack of damping sucks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DannyUK wrote:

i was riding that trail today. awesome fun!
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    All I can do is agree, the few times I have drifted I have been really forcing myself to go into a corner faster than I think is a good idea. Feels great though. In the pro vids, I especially like it when they drift the rear end out the opposite way as they go to the outside on the approach to a corner then the other way through the corner.
  • lochussie wrote:
    All I can do is agree, the few times I have drifted I have been really forcing myself to go into a corner faster than I think is a good idea. Feels great though. In the pro vids, I especially like it when they drift the rear end out the opposite way as they go to the outside on the approach to a corner then the other way through the corner.

I believe that's called a scandinavian flick and it's not exclusively/originally a bike thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbr1K3uuOPk

As for drifting I've been practicing this lots recently and some corners are easier than others, looser corners are best to start because you need less speed to drift and off camber helps too so you can get the feel of drifting without necessarily needing loads of speed. After a while as you get used to that feeling and get used to cornering faster in general you'll feel it happening. I can't induce it as and when yet but every now and again I get it and it's awesome.