RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

mxru
mxru Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Commencal Meta SX is builded around 160mm fork. I have frame only and want to know is 170mm fork will be "ok" with this frame. Thank you for advice!

P.S. Sorry for my English, i am not from UK. :)

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    10mm may actually be a bigger difference that just that.

the axle to crown height needs comparing from the supplied fork to the fork you are thinking of.

25mm changes the head angle by about 1 degree. standard is 66 degress and that is DH slack.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I ran a 160mm fork on my 150mm frame and the changes to geometry were slight but something I liked. Obviously, geometry preference is individual. This was a trail bike and it I was doing quite a bit of DH, including riding in the Alps. Never had a problem. I'd be happy to run a 170mm fork on a 160mm frame.
  • mxru
    Thank you for the answers, guys!
    Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube

As Commencal says zs44 on top and zs56 jn bottom. Head tube is tapered.
  • mxru
    nicklouse wrote:
    10mm may actually be a bigger difference that just that.

the axle to crown height needs comparing from the supplied fork to the fork you are thinking of.

25mm changes the head angle by about 1 degree. standard is 66 degress and that is DH slack.

Commencal site says, that recommended fork height is 545mm and max fork height is 555mm (as Lyrik)
  • mxru
    Here is information from official cite:

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-09%20at%2010.31.24%20PM.png
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    mxru wrote:

What's the steerer on the fork? If it's a straight 1+1/8" steerer and you use a headset with a low-stack bottom cup (check out the Hope Pick 'n' Mix http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240 ) the A2C height prob wont be much different from using a 160mm fork with a headset that uses a standard bottom cup...if you know what I mean :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mxru
    mxru wrote:

What's the steerer on the fork? If it's a straight 1+1/8" steerer and you use a headset with a low-stack bottom cup (check out the Hope Pick 'n' Mix http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240 ) the A2C height prob wont be much different from using a 160mm fork with a headset that uses a standard bottom cup...if you know what I mean :?

Lyrik is tapered and i could use zero-stack bottom cup with it. But as i know - stock 36 float on this bike is also tapered and use zero-stack bottom cup. So it will be 10mm difference - 545mm in stock (recommended by manufacturer) and 555 with Lyrik (max possible height as manufacturer says).