Cane Creek Double Barrel with Domain 318...?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Would it be a complete waste pairing a CCDB shock with the above fork?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• felix.london
    Maybe this is one for Workshop & Tech or General

Maybe I'll rephrase the question;

Should I upgrade to a CCDB shock to pair up with a Domain 318 or stick with the Monarch RT3 that comes with the frame?

Cheers.

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    CCDB is incredibly good BUT doesn't work well with all frames. I know it's no good on Giant's with Meastro suspension as well as plenty of others. The CCDB works best on single pivot frames.
    The Domain 318 is very good, I had one but you would notice that your rear suspension is far better than the front. The Domain takes a good size hit to get it working where the CCDB has extremely good small bump sensitivity, even better than my Boxxer R2C2.
  • felix.london
    Yeah, figured that would be the case. The frame is a Titus el Guapo and the CCDB is an optional £200 upgrade over the Monarch. But feels like the Monarch should/would match the Domain better to me.

btw - I already have the Domain, so changing fork is not really an option

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Monarch isn't particularly nice and the Domain is a bit of a hard hitting fork for the El Guapo. Domains only really work well when your really riding hard and getting lots ov very hard hits, they weigh a ton as well but you won't ever break them. I would fit either Rev's or Lyriks on a frame like that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The CCDB works best on single pivot frames.

Why is that?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    btw - I already have the Domain, so changing fork is not really an option
    Sell and buy a fork used and you'll only be out a bit of P&P.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    The Monarch isn't particularly nice and the Domain is a bit of a hard hitting fork for the El Guapo. Domains only really work well when your really riding hard and getting lots ov very hard hits, they weigh a ton as well but you won't ever break them. I would fit either Rev's or Lyriks on a frame like that.

I'm inclined to disagree. The monarch on my attack trail is spot on; not tried a CCDB but there isn't much between the monarch and an rp23. Also, the domain I had on my patriot/ns core was very supple over small bumps. I'm not denying it's weighty, but I'd have another in a heartbeat.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    Torres wrote:

I'm inclined to disagree. The monarch on my attack trail is spot on; not tried a CCDB but there isn't much between the monarch and an rp23. Also, the domain I had on my patriot/ns core was very supple over small bumps. I'm not denying it's weighty, but I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Have you ever ridden a Domain back to back with a Lyrik RC2DH or Boxxer R2C2? Try it & you will see how poor the Domain's small bump sensitivity is. I had one & it was great but a bit of a blunt weapon rather than a precision instrument. The Domain 302 has better small bump sensitivity but no compression damping so it just blows through it's travel.
  • felix.london
    How would you rate it (Domain 318 small bump sensitivity) compared to a Boxxer Race as that's what I've got on the Session and that seems excellent to me

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Domain 302 has better small bump sensitivity but no compression damping
    Err....yes, not adjustable (without changing oil wt) but it does have compression damping.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • How would you rate it (Domain 318 small bump sensitivity) compared to a Boxxer Race as that's what I've got on the Session and that seems excellent to me

Depends how you set it up... I like my Domain (318 is pretty much the same as the current RC - and I've owned both) , I run a softer spring than advised with more compression damping on my Domain RC and its superb.

To the original question, I would put a CCDB on my Canyon with the Domain without 2nd thoughts... but, I like the RC2.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    How would you rate it (Domain 318 small bump sensitivity) compared to a Boxxer Race as that's what I've got on the Session and that seems excellent to me

I've not ridden the boxxer so I can't comment; but they're two completely different forks, so you can't expect them to feel the same.

If you have the domains, try them. See for yourself if you think they're good enough. As you've seen everyone's opinion's different.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • felix.london
    Torres wrote:

I've not ridden the boxxer so I can't comment; but they're two completely different forks, so you can't expect them to feel the same.

If you have the domains, try them. See for yourself if you think they're good enough. As you've seen everyone's opinion's different.

Just because I've got the fork doesn't mean I can try the fork...wouldn't have really asked the question if I could hey? :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Domain 302 has better small bump sensitivity but no compression damping
    Err....yes, not adjustable (without changing oil wt) but it does have compression damping.

No it doesn't. The Domain 302 doesn't have a compression damper.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:

Why is that?
    +Potato
    Unless you explain that one with some sound reasoning, I'm inclined to treat everything else you post with the same sense of tired, eye rolling disbelief.
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:

Why is that?
    +Potato
    Unless you explain that one with some sound reasoning, I'm inclined to treat everything else you post with the same sense of tired, eye rolling disbelief.

Not sure but that's what friend was told after failing to get a decent set up when he fitted one to a Glory. I guess it can be tuned to work with any set up though. The shocks were designed by Ohlins who make motorbike shocks and I think they are nearly all single pivot.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    No they're not, they're pretty much all linkage driven.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    Linkage driven single pivots
  • The Rookie
    No it doesn't. The Domain 302 doesn't have a compression damper.
    Aplogies, got confused by the shite description on the Rockshox webby describing remocing compression damper cap, confusology perhaps!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I luv t'internet...

so many experts in hearsay :lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I don't really understand the original question? If you have the money then why would you not go for the better shock?

The front fork might not be as good as the shock but then every bike will have a weak point somewhere. Does every component have to have the same performance as every other part?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:

Why is that?
    +Potato...

Not sure but that's what friend was told...
    Oh I see.
    Typical Bikeradarness then.
  • The Rookie
    pilch wrote:
    I luv t'internet...

so many experts in hearsay :lol:
    Hearsay was Rockshox webby saying the 302 is fitted with a compression damper cap......I got it wrong I know, but if you read that, what would you think?

To be a pedant it does have a compression damper as the rebound will act (badly) as one.....