1x9 / 1x10 gearing for cyclocross - what do you use?

jomoj
jomoj Posts: 777
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
Just curious what ratios people are using on their single ring setups. For the record I have 36 up front and an 11-28 9 speed cassette. Gives a pretty good spread and I only run out of gears above 25mph, which is pretty unlikely to happen in a cross race.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've got a 46 or 44 * 38 and a 12-25 at the back.

This is because I've just bought a cross bike and it came with that on it. I've not raced it yet (probably this Sat if I can shift this cold) but first impressions riding round the local park is it's a bit flipping high unless the course is flat. Going to leave it for now though as I'm thinking racing I'll be pushing on more so probably wont want a granny gear - yeah right !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I don't run 1x, but I probably should as the outer ring barely gets used!

I have a 34 small ring with a 12-28 cassette. I seem to spend most of the race in the biggest few sprockets.

I think you'll be fine with the 36. You might find yourself a little outgunned if you have a start on tarmac for the first couple of hundred yards as some of our races do, but fine for everything else.
  • jomoj
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I ride this setup to work and back and only spin out on a downhill or with a good tailwind so it should have plenty of top end for cross. Previous races I've done it rarely get near the top of the cassette anyway!
    I raced last season with a 48/34 double so its going to be interesting how it goes with the single, the chain retention has been pretty well tested off road but not so much in the bump and grind of a race. Shall find out in 2 weeks time...
  • I'm running 9 speed 42/ 12-25. On normal courses with good legs its fine but when its hilly then I struggle a bit. You can get well over 30 on the road so speed isnt a problem. When you are tired you are praying for a granny ring though!

I'm going to try a 39 up front this week though, just to see how it works.

Chain catchers prove far more troublesome than gearing in my expereince!
  • jomoj
    what chain catching setup are you using Benjamin? I have an outer TA chainguard and a dog fang on the inside and it seems pretty robust as long as the chain is kept short as possible. Havent tested it in real filth though...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been toying with the idea of going to 1x10 for CX - there's few courses where a big ring is any help whilst I've certainly lost more time due to my chain coming off the chainring. Probably 36 or 38 chainring
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Sure I used to use 44 or 45 tooth single chainwheel, a TA chainset with bash guards on it. Then probable a 13-28 6 speed freewheel..that was back in the day though, maybe different style of courses now, so maybe not the thing.
  • I am using a bit of a bodge job.

It started life a superstar components chain catcher.

xcr-st.jpg

But that just wasnt up to the job. It moved about too much because none of the adjusting bits were tough enough.

I took the bracket and the catcher bit off and joined them together with one big bolt, separated by a load of metal washers and it's been faultless ever since. Plus it is still adjustable beacuse you can take the washers out or add more to move the chain catcher in or out. I have no chain rub at all.

Its not pretty, but it works.

fa903756032311e2900e22000a1cbaa0_7.jpg
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Last year I ran a 1 x 9 with a 42 ring and a 12-28 Miche cogset.

Was awesome not worrying about changing the front mech and with a chainkeeper it never came off.

I did have a few knee-busting moments on steeper climbs but it just forced me to stand up more often and push harder which actually helped my riding over 3-4 weeks of doing it.

What was really eye-opening was not cross but all the Men's MTBers at the Olympics who were on 1 x 10s. That was mighty surprising b/c they just graduated down 3-4 years ago from triples.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    i use 34/48 on both bikes but have removed front mech and replaced with dog fangs so effectively running single 34 up front and 48 just acts as a chain keeper. i find i use middle to lower part of rear block so it keeps the rear mech away from the rear wheel spokes. i've seen too many mechs go into the wheel when full of mud, grass, small sticks etc. used to run 39 single but then i used upper half of block and was concerned over mech/wheel jams if in lowest gear