Marin Rock Springs 2003 - have I done the right thing?

asaxton30
asaxton30 Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
So...I've been looking for the right MTB for me for a while.

Same old story, I used to ride, now I'm fatter and older, but want to ride again. So I resurrected the old Carrera Optima out of the shed, stuck some decent tyres on it, and have been doing between 14-20 miles 3 times a week for the last few months. Got to say I've rekindled my love for riding.

So, after looking for the last three months, I thought I had narrowed it down to what I wanted...a Specialized Rockhopper Expert, but there was always a niggling feeling at the back of my head I wanted a full suss bike.

Anyway...whilst bimbling around on eBay yesterday, I saw this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130776149190? ... 500wt_1414, and before I knew it I'd bought it. Gulp.

I've got to say I have a tiny bit of buyers remorse. I spoke to a friend who rides, and he said the spec was decent, but I'm concerned that because the frame is from 2003 (at least I think it is) it's going to let me down. I know it's a little bit heavier than more recent bikes and I've read articles saying the derailleurs tend to break easily and the brakes could be better.

BUT the big questions is...have I done the right thing?! I know the answers not going to help me now, but at least I'll know!!

Cheers all.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They are good bikes. Solid and well made. The brakes are likely tobe a bit pants by modern standards, but thats a fairly fresh drivetrain, and a good condition frame by the looks of it, so I think you've done ok. Ride it first but I would consider new tyres and saddle straight away (£50), and maybe a shorter stem and wider bars to freshen it up and you'll be ready to roll.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Oh, and if the brakes are a bit pants, you could consider getting new organic pads for them. That will help.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks for the response...makes me feel better!

I like the fact with modern MTBs most, if not all, parts are upgrade-able so you offer good advice by using it, seeing what I like and what I don't like and taking it from there.

Didn't know about organic pads, so will do a quick Google. Cheers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks rather nice for the price.
    Try Superstar for pads. Ben is wrong though, I would get kevlar - they are red.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Like these?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... o1s939j784

In a nutshell, what's the main difference?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It won't ride badly, it will almost certainly need some TLC and you'll probably want to upgrade a few parts, you'll definately want newer tyres but thos older Mazza forks are far from being bad!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or in their own words
    3 Superstar Compounds:
    Organic - High power soft pad for great feel and power, excellent bite from cold
    Sintered – Hard pads for long life in abrasive condition, extra long life
    Kevlar – Soft race pad for ultimate power but Kevlar fibres give much longer life than Organic
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I thank you both!
  • Just a quick update...I got it and it's awesome! Can't believe how different one bike can be from another.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Welcome to Marinland. Not to be confused with Marin County :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    asaxton30 wrote:
    Just a quick update...I got it and it's awesome! Can't believe how different one bike can be from another.
    a friend of mine has something similar, a 2003 eastpeak apart from a change of bars,stem and saddle its still in its original spec and still running sweet, those old marin's just seem to last forever
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • benpinnick

Surely they're the same place? What with Marins coming from Marin County n all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    benpinnick wrote:

Surely they're the same place? What with Marins coming from Marin County n all.
    No, Marinland is the magical land, hidden from the views of "other folk" by the perpetual cloud of smugness created by Marin owners and their pride in their bulletproof, lifetime warrantied frames and bearings :lol:
  • Marinland or Marin County...either way it's sunny! :)