Cracking sidewalls on Schwalbe tyres

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I've noticed that the sidewalls on the Racing Ralph DD tyres I've put on recently have fine hairline cracks along the sidewalls, and checking the Blizzards I have on my PX they're the same. Both have minimal mileage, and only the Ralphs have been in storage.

Is this normal? There's nothing wrong with the Conti/Kenda/Challenge etc tyres that have had more use.
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cracking is age related, not use related, how were they stored? Out of sunlight is good, out of any light better.

Usually not an issue, just get on and ride!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Stored in the workshop out of direct light, although I bought them last year. Blizzards the same, but they've been on the PX wheels for a year.

Thing is as I said I've never had anything like this with other tyres.

Not too bothered about the Ralphs but running the Blizzards at 110psi I'm not too keen on them blowing out on a long hill.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • This is interesting, I bought a Cube AMS Comp last year which came with a Racing Ralph on the back and its split on the sidewall, not horrifically but I can see through the rubber into the fibres(?) or whatever you want to call them. Saying that I've been commuting on it and my mate even did some DH on it and it was fine. I've just accepted that it will blow one day but I'll deal with it when it happens. Just thought it was interesting that it was the same tire, has anyone heard of any known faults with them or is it just coincidence?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I've been running rocket rons, tubeless. The sidewalls are totally inadequate. Nice and light, yes....but have ended up having to patch the inside of the side walls after small splits appeared (at 30psi) after a few months. (in 3 places)

I sort of like the tyres - and they are ok for cross country stuff but forget anything rocky...
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Happened to all the lightweight xc Schwalbes ive ever had after a couple of months