Anyone speak MTB? (and Alpine MTB query)

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Planning a bit of impromptu MTB-ing in the Alps on Friday (as you do), I came across this comment on an MTB forum:
“The portes du soleil is amazing, almost endless miles of natural trails and man made downhills, 4x, free ride and northshore.”
Anyone able to translate this into English for me, please?

Anyone know the area well enough to confirm whether there'll be plenty of stuff for a couple of MTB beginners? We've been MTB-ing in other parts of the Alps a couple of time before, so we do know what we're letting ourselves in for. Anywhere else within 1hr of Geneva, with lift-assisted MTB-ing that we should look at?

I'm intentionally not asking this on the MTB forum because I want to be able to understand any responses...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Gnarly dude.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thought - post in the MTB section, maybe beginners forum? You'll get it in English - honest

Natural trails - tracks that are made 'naturally' rather than specifically made for cycling
    man made downhills - downhill sections specifically made for cycling, you'll need a suitable bike (not just any old MTB
    4x - a circular (ish) track for a specific style of MTB racing, bit like the BMX at the olympics but on dirt and on MTB's
    free-ride, jumps and similar antics
    Northshore - a trail made of slatted wood raised above the ground, originated in the North shore area of Canada - google it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    TGOTB wrote:
    “The portes du soleil is amazing, almost endless miles of natural trails and man made downhills, 4x, free ride and northshore.”
    Anyone able to translate this into English for me, please?

ok

downhills Clicky

4x - Clicky

free ride = scary silly stuff click
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    From that description, generally not for beginners. Ask the people who have been there. MTBers aren't going to come round your house and break your windows if they find out you also commute on a road bike.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup what others already said re the specifics of what downhilling, 4x (pronounced four-cross) is etc.

I've ridden MTB in the alps a number of times although I would class myself as a very experienced MTB'er.

The alps great but everything is bigger, faster and scarier than in the UK. I really wouldn't recommend it for an absolute beginner as you can get into trouble very quickly out there.

But if you want to go then feel free but i would make sure you get plenty of off-road riding experience in the UK before you go.

some more specifics to consider are the lift season. it's ended i believe so you will probably spend more time riding uphill than down. Depends what your preferences are really but that wouldn't be fun to me.

get a guide. you will have much more fun with someone showing you around

get specific bike insurance. If you have to be helicoptered off the mountain they can get damn expensive if you have to pay yourself. Snowcard or dogtag are the preferred suppliers.

EDIT: re-reads OP and adds some more stuff. Hope I wasn't too patronising above, I read it as you had no alps experience.

PDS is the mecca of MTB'ing. There is everything you could want there in terms of MTB'ing

Preferred places to stay are Morzine and Les Gets. You can follow the PDS which is a 70-80km route signposted all year round but I think you will still need lift assistance to get round it in one day or back from Switzerland (it takes you there) if you find you are running out of time (it's a big, big day).
    FCN = 4
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm intentionally not asking this on the MTB forum because I want to be able to understand any responses...
    :roll:

Try asking in the 'holidays' section and you should get some sensible answers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Boy Lard wrote:
    From that description, generally not for beginners. Ask the people who have been there. MTBers aren't going to come round your house and break your windows if they find out you also commute on a road bike.
    Yes, we will. Be afraid, be very afraid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    cooldad wrote:
    Boy Lard wrote:
    Yes, we will. Be afraid, be very afraid.

No - you'll get all very excited and call him "gay" - the wit is incredible...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH