Transformation due to mudguards.

pauldavid
pauldavid Posts: 392
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Bought a set of guards for my Defy at the weekend and have just cleaned the bike and fitted them tonight.

The wife mentioned how it made the bike look different seeing it with the guards on. So I explained to her that it had just become a winter trainer. She asked what this meant and I explained that it meant I would need a best bike when next summer comes round. :D

I won't give you her full response but I think it's probably a good thing that she's got the autumn/winter period to come to terms with the fact that I will be buying a new bike next year. On the other hand if she sticks to her word and I buy a new bike I may be taking all of next summer coming to terms with the lack of space in my bedsit. :cry:

Anyone recommend some methods of persuasion that have worked for you before,

Look into my eyes, directly into my eyes, not around the eyes

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Now you've upped her expectations you should be able to get some new wheels without too much fuss next summer.

Good luck with getting a whole bike though! :lol:
  • pauldavid
    Now you've upped her expectations you should be able to get some new wheels without too much fuss next summer.

Good luck with getting a whole bike though! :lol:

I'm considering buying her some nice wheels for christmas. She hasn't got a bike or any intention of getting but if she doesn't need the gift she could always give it to someone she loves.

Not sure i can run the risk of seeing the neighbour going out on the new wheels on boxing day though :)
  • pauldavid wrote:
    Bought a set of guards for my Defy at the weekend and have just cleaned the bike and fitted them tonight.
    What did you get? I've just got a Defy 3 (2012) and I want some guards too. Total n00b so I'd appreciate any hints on what to get and any tips on how to fix.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • pauldavid
    I bought the Giant fender set as they are fully fixed and designed specifically for the Defy.

Fitted really easily (within about 30 mins) and look ok.

Winstanleys have them for about £25 but if you google "giant fender set" it brings up plenty of sales outlets.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    pauldavid wrote:

The wife mentioned how it made the bike look different seeing it with the guards on. So I explained to her that it had just become a winter trainer. She asked what this meant and I explained that it meant I would need a best bike when next summer comes round. :D

I won't give you her full response but I think it's probably a good thing that she's got the autumn/winter period to come to terms with the fact that I will be buying a new bike next year. On the other hand if she sticks to her word and I buy a new bike I may be taking all of next summer coming to terms with the lack of space in my bedsit. :cry:

Anyone recommend some methods of persuasion that have worked for you before,

Look into my eyes, directly into my eyes, not around the eyes

Salutory lesson for some bloke a few years ago

4mKzs.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pauldavid
    Good advert, raisd a smile.

Unfortunately my message was the exact opposite of his as I've specifically been told "you don't need another bloody bike"

Good job I like my Defy then, just need to sneak some new shiny bits into the garage instead 8)
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    My way of getting around 'er indoors is to ship the items to work

When i get home its like:

She: Your bike looks different?
    Me: Nope, same as always
    She: You sure, it wasn't like this yesterday
    Me: Its the lighting in the room
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    haf1zur wrote:
    My way of getting around 'er indoors is to ship the items to work

When i get home its like:

She: Your bike looks different?
    Me: Nope, same as always
    She: You sure, it wasn't like this yesterday
    Me: Its the lighting in the room

That gets a little more difficult though.

She: I see you have a new bike!
    Me: No, I've just cleaned it.
    She: Oh OK, I guess the other one in the corner is a mirage.
    Me: FCUK, I knew I missed something. :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    Get rid of the wife it suddenly gets a whole lot easier :mrgreen:
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    A lad in our club has 4 bikes but they are all white. His wife thinks he only has the one bike, as all she ever sees is a white one.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    DaveM399 wrote:
    A lad in our club has 4 bikes but they are all white. His wife thinks he only has the one bike, as all she ever sees is a white one.
    That guy should work for NASA.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • You guys are all being a bit naive here. We are completely outflanked when it comes to new purchases. Just play their game, buy the bike and when she asks where it came from you just say, "I've had it ages, you never pay enough attention, I can't believe you've never noticed me riding it."
  • pauldavid wrote:
    I bought the Giant fender set as they are fully fixed and designed specifically for the Defy.

Fitted really easily (within about 30 mins) and look ok.

Winstanleys have them for about £25 but if you google "giant fender set" it brings up plenty of sales outlets.

I could google "giant fender set" but I prefer to stick with the image I have in my mind of you riding down the street on a bike with mudguards so large that cars can't get within 10 metres of you! To complete the image though you should probably buy the lesser spotted "giant spoiler set" too :D