Trailraker front and Fire XC Pro back?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone tired this combo? I was thinking of giving it a go for mixed woodland single track with a mixture of hardpacked mud with stretches of really wet soggy gloopy stuff with tree roots and rocky sections throw in.

Comments

• No to the trailraker bu I do run xc fire pro's 2.1 front and back. Took them out for first ride in average conditions - wet and boggy- and they worked a treat, very impressed. I was running Schwalbe on the back and conti vertical on the front. Very impressed with the verticals. The Schwalbe less so.

Hope that helps.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Trailrakers are pretty terrifying in anything but full-on, sloppy mud. I only ever run one on the rear, and not very often at that. They're very good at finding grip and driving you through bogs (or snow)
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I run a Trailraker on the front and a Spesh storm on the rear.seems to be a great combo, have been told though that the tyres would probably be better switched around. I have to say hitting wet roots and rocks with Trailraker on front can be scary, but the front end feels great when in the mud.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    try the trail raker on the back for traction (and, as not great in anything apart from full on mud, often less serious if it washes out) and a maxxis minion super tacky on the front. I use the minion front and a conti survival rear (don't think they make them any more) as my winter set up and works a treat in most situations
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Trailrakers on the front are horrible unless all you're doing is riding through gloopy mud (i.e. no hard pack, no root, no rocks). Mud-X works much better in a variety of conditions as isn't as grabby as a Trailraker. I personally stopped running Trailrakers front and rear once tubeless Mud-Xs were available and not regretted it.