Best socks

bleasy
bleasy Posts: 98
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys after some good socks for mountain biking in, something that is warm and waterproof. I know everyone will probably tell me sealskinz but is there any other socks that aren't as expensive?

Comments

• chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Woolie Boolies are warm, but not waterproof. Otherwise think you're stuck with sealskins. Worth the investment though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz work and last ages - the thermal ones especially.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    How long do people's sealskinz stay waterproof for? Mine are just warm socks it seems now! They seem to hold the water inside them well though....
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    This is the issue with sealskinz. If you're wearing full length waterproof trousers, they probably work better than just wearing them with bare legs and getting the water running down and filling them up.

Personally, I prefer a sock thats quick draining and drying and just put up with wet feet. Wool socks would be good. Works for me for day long outings. I can stand getting wet, as long as I'm warm, I'm good.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    As above. When water is running down your legs and you are going through a lot of water seal skinz can actually start to collect water. I think they are great for road work (where you don't go through deep water & maybe have full guards), when its not too wet off road or short off road blasts. Much of my MTBing is all day though & in the wet they do start to fill up. For these rides I now use merino wool socks - non waterproof ones. I have excellent thermal ones by Pearl Izumi (expensive but very warm in any weather) and some cheaper walking merino ones for everyday use which OK in anything but the coldest conditions. Walking merino socks seems cheaper than cycling ones.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I have recently bought a pair of Garburn Merino socks via Bikemaps ebay shop.They cost £8.50 and I have been impressed so far.

I previously tried Sealskinz but didn`t like the fit and they didn`t do a good job of keeping my feet warm.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I have recently bought a pair of Garburn Merino socks via Bikemaps ebay shop.They cost £8.50 and I have been impressed so far.

I previously tried Sealskinz but didn`t like the fit and they didn`t do a good job of keeping my feet warm.

Thanks for the info, just ordered myself 3 pairs! ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have some nice Kona socks I got off CRC form £2.99, my feet get wet, but as its trapped it warms up like a wet suite, the rides aren't long enough for it to be a serious issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    broona wrote:
    I have recently bought a pair of Garburn Merino socks via Bikemaps ebay shop.They cost £8.50 and I have been impressed so far.

Thanks for the info, just ordered myself 3 pairs! ;)

Yeah, I'll be looking into them, myself!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Link to Garburn socks here for those interested. I will be getting some more,I used them for walking the other weekend and they were great for that too.

[urhttp://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.html][/url]
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Woody80 wrote:
    How long do people's sealskinz stay waterproof for? Mine are just warm socks it seems now! They seem to hold the water inside them well though....
    Several years.
    You have to wash them without any fabric softener though. Fabric softener will turn any waterprof material into, well, crap.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Socks arrived this morning, brilliant service! :)
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Link to Garburn socks here for those interested. I will be getting some more,I used them for walking the other weekend and they were great for that too.

[urhttp://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.html][/url]

been wearing these for ages (not same pair obviously). top drawer in every way.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Sealskinz with their merino wool liners. Warm and waterproof. Not cheap but good investment.
    It may seem obvious but use riding shoes bigger than you summer shoes. Make sure your toes can move freely.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • bleasy
    bleasy Posts: 98
    Has anyone tried x socks?
  • sealskinz for me. I wear ordinary sox under them and never wash the sealskinz. Don't want to wreck them! Smell a bit though... but no worse than my trainers....
  • cooldad
    I wash my Sealskinz inside out - no fabric softener because I'm not a girl. Last for years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    I wash my Sealskinz inside out - no fabric softener because I'm not a girl. Last for years.
    it's actually surprisingly hard to find washing powder/stuff without some 'orrible girly softener shite in it. They sneak it in when you least suspect it.

Oh, and roverthehill... wash your damned socks you dirty fu**ing tramp.
  • Woody80
    cooldad wrote:
    it's actually surprisingly hard to find washing powder/stuff without some 'orrible girly softener shite in it. They sneak it in when you least suspect it.
    That's why none of my sealskinz are waterproof now then! I did manage to find some plain washing liquid but it took some rummaging.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Woody80 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That's why none of my sealskinz are waterproof now then! I did manage to find some plain washing liquid but it took some rummaging.
    Safest bet is Nikwak washy stuff. Or, some stuff that's meant for wool and silks - but that usually comes in a big pink bottle, so if you do buy it, make sure you also buy a 24-pack of special brew, a few girly mags, and some bike mags too, to save your dignity.
  • cooldad
    Everything I wear currently has a delicate scent of lavender as I buy whatever's on sale on the day.
    I practising to be a nice little OAP lady.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woody80
    cooldad wrote:
    Everything I wear currently has a delicate scent of lavender as I buy whatever's on sale on the day.
    That sounds lovely dear
  • cooldad
    Woody80 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That sounds lovely dear
    Don't dis your granny, it's rude.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woody80
    cooldad wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That sounds lovely dear
    Don't dis your granny, it's rude.
    Apologies, can I get you a lovely cup of tea? You must be tired
  • I'd say any wool sock would work as wool tends to stay warm even when it gets wet.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'd say any wool sock would work as wool tends to stay warm even when it gets wet.
    He did specifically ask for waterproof though.

On thing that's worth mentioning about waterproof socks, however, is that they'll be useless without waterproof leggings or trousers, since the water will just run down your legs, into them. What you have then is water-booties.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    I got a pair of the bootlegs below. Not 100% perfect but do a good job at keeping water out of my sealskinz. Certainly keeps my feet drier for much longer as they form a good barrier.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... fovershoes