Wiggle Purbeck Hill-a-Saurus 20 Mile MTB Ride Nov 18th!

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Tyres?? Yep I'll definitely be using tyres.

My old faithfuls, a nice newish pair of Nevegals. I don't think it will be that bad, forecast is for a great day so it could be frost and fog that's more of an issue!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Dry & Cold :D
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    neilrosser wrote:
    Dry & Cold :D

That will do me :)
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • here's my gps track from last year's event.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129813649

I ride around the Purbs a lot, so here's my brief rundown.

Mud - probably worst at the start of the epic route, through Norden Woods. Possibility of some more just after the feed station and at the bottom of the 'Franks Tank' singletrack through the golf course.

Hills - The worst of the climbing is all over in the first 15km with 3 hills (2 on shorter route). The max elevation in these parts is only 200m so there's nothing too long. The toughest is the last one (in my opinion). It's short and steep with a tricky chalk section at the top that will be very slippery in the wet. After the feed station there's another gradual climb up to the golf course, but nothing steep or too taxing.

Bike - Last year I did it on a short travel full suss. This year, hardtail as I'm sick of taking the full suss apart to clean it!

Tyres - There's a surprising amount of tarmac and hardpack on this route so I wouldn't go too knobbly!

Hope this helps! :D
  • handful
    Thanks nick-williams, really useful info. I notice your Garmin data shows well over 2000ft of ascent, much more than the 1400 odd on the 'official' route. I downloaded that route for my Garmin, I wonder why there's such a difference?

You didn't hang about either did you...I don't think I'll be doing it in anything like that time. :lol:
    Orbea Rise
  • camerauk
    Cheers Nick-Williams
    great info for the ride thanks
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Handful, I see what you mean. I just dropped their GPS route into my Tracklogs map software and it comes out at 635m of climbing. I'm not sure why Garmin Connect shows only 420 odd. They have Elevation Correction disabled, which means the altitude is taken from the GPS unit's altimeter, rather than survey data based on position, so perhaps their altimeter was a bit off. I'd be surprised if it was less than 600m to be honest.

For anyone coming from the east, be aware the Sandbanks Chain ferry is not running, so you'll have to drive around through Sandford and Wareham to get to Corfe.

maybe see you tomorrow!
  • handful
    Thanks for clarifying, I was surprised whn I saw how little climbing there was to be honest with a 4/5 rating. Should be a decent challenge, really looking forward to it with the forecast looking good.

See you all there. 8)
    Orbea Rise
  • camerauk
    Well woke to -3 :shock: at 5:30 am this morning then 2 1/2 hour drive

Ride was great cold to start then soon warmed up on the first climb :) great scenery

Completed the epic in around 2hrs 20, not bad as we had to stop twice for punctures to mates rear tyre

Fantastic event will return next year for sure :D
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    How did everyone find it then?!

I had a great time - really enjoyed it. I was riding with some of my friends buddies (my friend bust his shoulder so couldn't ride) and we took it easy and enjoyed the ride 8)

Wasn't too keen on the REALLY muddy bits, but I enjoyed all descents and my favourite bit was clearing that damn obolisk climb in one go!

Really good to meet handful at the feed station too (if i've got the wrong person and it was someone else - sorry!). Hope you had a good one?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • 2hrs 20! I did 2.33 and thought that wasn't too bad but I guess I will have to try harder! Have to say it was seriously muddy on the 2nd half and I saw loads of people go over the bars but at least they all had a soft landing. Hoping that the purchase of a 29er may improve my time for next year. Either that or EPO....
    No bike they've all been stolen...
  • camerauk
    Bobbinboy wrote:
    2hrs 20! I did 2.33 and thought that wasn't too bad but I guess I will have to try harder! Have to say it was seriously muddy on the 2nd half and I saw loads of people go over the bars but at least they all had a soft landing. Hoping that the purchase of a 29er may improve my time for next year. Either that or EPO....

Yes I saw loads of over the bar incidents, one poor chap landed facedown in the worst muddy puddle you could imagine landed like a starfish arms and legs spread, when he stood up you could not see his face lol

2:33 thats still good going
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    edited November 2012
    miss notax wrote:

I had a great time - really enjoyed it. I was riding with some of my friends buddies (my friend bust his shoulder so couldn't ride) and we took it easy and enjoyed the ride 8)

Wasn't too keen on the REALLY muddy bits, but I enjoyed all descents and my favourite bit was clearing that damn obolisk climb in one go!

Really good to meet handful at the feed station too (if i've got the wrong person and it was someone else - sorry!). Hope you had a good one?

Glad you enjoyed it

That climb was a steep one and well done on getting to the top in one
    I also managed it although nearly got taken off twice with people spinning out

My gear train was making a few odd noises lol with all that mud

Anyone use starva today?
    I have posted my ride up there
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    camerauk - just seen your from Torquay... I was chatting to some chap about the weather (how very British :lol: )outside the loo's from there before the start, wasn't you was it?!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• camerauk
    miss notax wrote:
    camerauk - just seen your from Torquay... I was chatting to some chap about the weather (how very British :lol: )outside the loo's from there before the start, wasn't you was it?!!

No was not me
    I seemed a bit rushed today and did not really get a chance to chat to many people :(
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    Ha, i'm very glad I didn't say 'are you from bikeradar' then - I would have sounded like a right nutter :lol::lol:

• camerauk
    miss notax wrote:
    Ha, i'm very glad I didn't say 'are you from bikeradar' then - I would have sounded like a right nutter :lol::lol:

Lol yeah

Did you log your ride with Strava or anything?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • I feel a bit guilty about saying the climb up to the golf course wasn't too bad now. I have to say I was suffering a bit up there. I dread to think how the muddy bits were later in the day. I was in the first group out and it was already tough going. One crash coming down from the golf course, but nothing spectacular!

It was a beautiful day for it though, we saw a few Deer on the drag up through Norden Woods.

My time is up on Strava. Given the conditions I'm reasonably happy with 2:06 ish
  • camerauk

My time is up on Strava. Given the conditions I'm reasonably happy with 2:06 ish

Well done 2:06 is good going it was hard through the mud around the Golf course

Happy with my time of 2:21 ish as I have never ridden there and the conditions
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    Oooh, and i'm famous :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8d5e360344

Top row (the girl obviously :lol: )!

• camerauk
    miss notax wrote:

Fame at last :) well done again on completing it.

not seen any pictures of me yet, looking at results looks like I came in in 19th place for epic riders, very pleased with that :D
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • And at the other end of the scale......was me :? . 3:57 :) , 2nd ever major ride & 1st time there. wasn't expecting that much mud, but hey-ho thats what MB are all about I guess :lol: . Oh and I've got manflu :oops: , and we all know how much that takes out of us guys :cry: .
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • handful
    miss notax wrote:

Yep, that was me! Good to meet you too, sorry I rushed off but I needed cake!

Really enjoyed it as well, I did find the mud after the feed station a bit of a pain in the @rse, partly due to my crap riding and partly seeming to choose lines directly behind the people that didn't make it through and having to stop myself and losing flow. Very energy sapping as well, had one horrendous cramp attack when my thighs just locked up rigid. :lol: Will be back next year though definitely. One of the guys I was riding with had an 'off' and some nice cuts and bruises which I had to help him out with so that and an extended 'cake stop' meant my time was pretty rubbish, certainly not in the league of some of you lot, obviously a lot younger and fitter than me. :(
    Orbea Rise
  • I think anyone who made it round deserves a pat on the back. I have never seen the track down to Frank's Tank that muddy. I'm glad I opted not to fit a new chain and cassette on Saturday night now. My chain is going in the bin!

Here's a picture of me thinking the muddy bits were over! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
  • miss notax
    Good photo!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    miss notax wrote:

Big mistake. Now Gaz knows what you look like he's got a new victim to stalk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol:

• really enjoyed it, think the weather was a major factor mind

just missed out on the silver (3.12) - but really happy with that as did it with the girlfriend, who was a trooper (especially when I realised how close we were to 3.08 at the feed station - so I rushed her on) regret stopping to take those photos at the top of the first climb and the obelix now - but gives us an excuse to go again next year !

we set off a 9.20 so pretty late - was a bog on most sections - won't make that mistake again next year

really good event and well organised - only downside to the day was getting a copy of cycling weekly in my goody bag !
  • camerauk
    A video for you all to enjoy of the event
    not filmed by me but by David one of the blokes I ride with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_0cTYVoXM
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • handful
    edited November 2012
    Thanks camerauk, what a great video. Could've shown more of the mud though, looks like it was almost perfect conditions in these clips! :lol:
    Orbea Rise