Newbie and clueless

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hello everyone!

I'm at the beginning of the journey into cycling and in need of advice from you guys.

I may have posted in the wrong section so am hopeful you can point me in the right direction.

Bikeless at the moment but obviously looking to get one and get out there as soon as possible. Will mainly be using the bike for my ride to and from work. My journey will be around 4 miles each way. Going to work will be easy, it's downhill most of the way. Coming home will be more of a challenge as it's a steady climb with the odd steepish hill involved.

Come the weekend I will be looking to ride out on longer journeys to build up my fitness. The majority of my riding will be on roads but I don't really want to go down the road bike route.

One question I do have, is a MTB the best way forward or would I be better off with a hybrid?

Is an ali frame the way forward by virtue of lightness?

Sorry for the questions, any advice would be gratefully accepted. Looking forward to joining in with the forum debate. :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't suggest and MTB, you don't want to carry the weight of forks and knobbly tyres, as well as the extra drag from said tyres.

Lots of Hybrids out there, ranging from something little different from an MTB on rigid forks and slick tyres, like the Boradman urban MTB through to what is little different from a road bike with flat bars like the Boardman hybrids (and others).

95% of bikes now have aluminium frames, anything steel worth buying will cost more than aluminium anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Agreed, hybrids are what mountain bikes were like before suspension was invented... Suspension adds weight /cost so hybrid will be perfect. Faster /easier on the roads and hills (road bike speed with mountain bike comfort)... There's different types, eg the Boardman hybrids have road wheels but others have slightly wider /knoblier which would allow the odd journt off road /canal paths etc.

Best thing will be to go to a decent bike shop and try different types.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I don't really want to go down the road bike route.

Any particular reason why not?

Anyway, if not a road bike, then I'd suggest you are better off with a hybrid... As the Boardman (Halfords) range has been mentioned - either a bigger wheeled (essentially a road bike, with flat bars and a more upright riding position):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2

or more MTB flavoured (and this is essentially a good mtb with a lighter, non-suspension fork, and slick tyres):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2

welcome to the forum!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As we've sort of established you don't really need an MTB, you may be better off posting in the commuting forum (use chat)....I commute on a hybrid built into a 700c disk braked frame using Rigid forks and mostly MTB finishing kit including 26" wheels and 26x1.5 tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    As stated above a hybrid would be best, lighter and faster rolling than a mountain bike
  • Thanks for the welcome and replies fellas!!!

Wow, those Boardman bikes are the mutts. Lovely looking machines.
    I erred on the side of MTB's purely because I like their looks. I always thought of hybrids as pretty much racing bikes with flat bars! Shows how much I know.

So, there is less resistance and drag with the hybrids larger wheel diameter compared to a standard 26" and wide knobbly tyre which the MTB possesses?

What about used bikes? Is it worthwhile pursuing? As much as I'm loving the idea of a brand spanker, I cannot foresee the other half allowing me to part with such an amount, especially as she thinks my cycling interest is purely a whim at the moment.
    Would it be worthwhile buying a relatively cheap decent quality 2nd hand model until I get into the sport and decide that an upgrade is necessary. I think the savings in fuel alone would convince the missus should I decide to upgrade!!!

Also, could you kind people tell me what I should be looking for in a decent bike?

Thanks for your patience!!! :lol:
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    So, there is less resistance and drag with the hybrids larger wheel diameter compared to a standard 26" and wide knobbly tyre which the MTB possesses?

Its all about the type of tyres and nothing about the size - slicks can be bought for any wheel.
    What about used bikes? Is it worthwhile pursuing?

Maybe, possibly, the answer is "it depends", how happy are you with mechanical maintenance and/or the possibility of things needing replacing (at some cost).

Bike-to-work schemes are worth investigating.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Second hand can be good value if you know what you're doing, you've already admitted you're new to this, not spotting trashed bearings or worn drive train could be costly. If you're going down the hybrid route you don't need to spend masses, £ 250 would be fine, suspension forks etc. would push the equivilent spec mountain bike up a couple of hundred quid. If you're serious about commuting (and 4 miles is a no brainer) think about the offset cost of car / bus transport.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Hi I have a specialized camber comp 2011 an I have city jets 1.95 on there I wanted a bike to go out on The Sunday ride but also wanted it to ride to work that also is 4 miles also its a full sus with lock out that makes the bike ridged for the road so it's a doit all only problem is changing the tyres over when I want to go Xc but I'm getting faster . Like your self I didn't want a road bike to start off on so I made do an very happy with it
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2