Wet weather tyres

2»

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    widge34 wrote:
    Specialized storms. Better than bontys Mud x. They give me so much confidence.

Not found that at all. In fact the MudX are significantly better on roots and provide good traction in the chalky gloop we get around here as well as opposed to the Spesh which just clog.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Once a week if I can. I live about 500yrds from the southwestern corner.[/quote]

Brilliant, great location. It's a 30 min drive for me so not too bad at all and I've only been a couple of times thus far. Looking forward to get lost in there again soon.

I noticed there aren't any 'proper' maps of the trails...this is a good thing in some respects as keeps it fun but also a bit frustrating.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    widge34 wrote:
    Specialized storms. Better than bontys Mud x. They give me so much confidence.

Not found that at all. In fact the MudX are significantly better on roots and provide good traction in the chalky gloop we get around here as well as opposed to the Spesh which just clog.

Well I ran my mud X's most of this wet summer. They just didn't grip enough in the mud, which didn't fill me with confidence. Switched to storms last weekend, had two wet, muddy rides, so much happier on them.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    If you are going to use through the full range of winter muck and mud and are not fixated on speed then I would suggest Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 or 1.95 if you are very light. They are staggering good in winter.

If you want something a bit more all round I would suggest Maxxis Advantage 2.25 or less. They are cracking. The Bonty XR4 are very similar just buy a high grade spec compound.
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010
  • Slow1 wrote:
    If you are going to use through the full range of winter muck and mud and are not fixated on speed then I would suggest Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 or 1.95 if you are very light. They are staggering good in winter.

If you want something a bit more all round I would suggest Maxxis Advantage 2.25 or less. They are cracking. The Bonty XR4 are very similar just buy a high grade spec compound.

Cool, thanks. I really liked the reviews on the Bonty XR4's so they should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting them on and heading out again.
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    Slow1 wrote:

Cool, thanks. I really liked the reviews on the Bonty XR4's so they should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting them on and heading out again.

Let me know how you get on and which surfaces you ride on
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010
  • Cool, thanks. I really liked the reviews on the Bonty XR4's so they should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting them on and heading out again.[/quote]

Let me know how you get on and which surfaces you ride on[/quote]

Will do.

Cheers to all for the advice
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:

Not bad. Chain reaction are doing some good deals! I got the bonty's elsewhere for £20 each and they're ready to go on tomorrow morning :mrgreen:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Just got back from laying out the course for the Enduro 1 at Swinley. My advice... XR4s would be perfect.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Maxxis Minion DHF on both ends.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    Maxxis Minion DHF on both ends.
    For wet? Are you insane?
  • widge34
    Continental Baron Black Chili get great reviews as a wet/winter trail, but are quite expensive.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    I've used the budget (£13) versions in the winter ad while they are a bit heavy and a bitch tO fit, they do work great in the non BC version
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    benpinnick wrote:
    I've used the budget (£13) versions in the winter ad while they are a bit heavy and a ***** tO fit, they do work great in the non BC version

I've ordered the Baron black Chili version. I already own the mountain king IIs in black Chili and I love them, find them better than the high rollers I had. The mountain kings mounted on my Stans crests easily. Hoping the baron will also.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    I suspect they will mount fine. It was the steel bead I blame mostly for my pair being a PITA.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Just got back from laying out the course for the Enduro 1 at Swinley. My advice... XR4s would be perfect.

Music to my ears...cheers for that.

Sp the Enduro 1, what level of competition is that? Do you compete?
  • I have to second the minions. Super tacky up frontand a maxxpro on the rear............ just be prepared to put a bit more effort into pedaling.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Maxxis crossmark- ignitors- ardents- minions.
    Dry========================Wet
    If it's too wet for Minions stay home.
    Sam Hill used to run minion dhf both ends in world cup DH and he seemed pretty good round the corners. :)

That's a huge generalisation and doesn't even take in a lot of tyres that a lot of people use, that's just some of the Maxxis range but still misses out a lot of them. I don't even agree with that order, I would take a Crossmark over an Ignitor any day of the week and this is another problem, everyone prefers different tyres for different things.

And Sam Hill only ran Minions when the conditions were right, I'm sure he was on mud spikes when the conditions called for it :wink:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If you think minions are good in the wet, either you define wet as midly moist, or you ride so slow it doesn't matter, or you simply haven't tried proper wet weather tyres like swampthings! They make minions feel scary in the wet.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Minions aren't brilliant in the wet, but, with most tyres that are better at it, there's a tradeoff. Most rides aren't all wet, so, Minion (or something else to do the same job) can make a lot of sense. If your ride is all mud, well, sucks to be you!

(and only half joking there... When my local xc trails are muddy enough that mud tyres become the best choice, I just don't ride them- it rips the arse out of them and come spring they're 2 metres wide. But I have drier options, not everyone does)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Just giving this thread some extra life and hoping someone can also help me.

Looking for a set of tyres that can handle the daily commute to Uni/work and also handle well in the local woods on a weekend, mainly muddy, wet leaves and roots etc (your normal Yorkshire woodland). Currently running with some standard CST Cabalerro and let's just say that they aren't the greatest...

Have been suggested some on-one smorgasbord, hadn't actually heard of them till a random guy in the LBS mentioned it but he swears by it as he does the same type of riding etc.

I do ride a 29er so very limited some some good tyres, have been waiting for some black chilli RQ's to come out but still only the normal ones available.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What you want doesn't exist. Get a pair for each use and swap them as required.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    I suspected that might be the case, always worth asking anyway. Cheers cooldad
  • I put on a 29" on-one smorgasbord trail extreme on the back before this weekends ride in the Quantocks - very very wet in places, lot of loose rock, mud and wet roots and was really impressed. No idea what it would be like on the front, but transformed the ride on the back compared to the previous tyre.