Speaking of toast

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone tried Malt loaf toast?

If not, just go ahead and try, it's fecking gorgeous... with Golden Syrup you basically have a 5 minute sugar rush :D
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Had some for breakfast yesterday. Between me and the 2 kids we had to do the second loaf. Ooops.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sicko

bread doesn't an shoudlnt have bits in
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow007 wrote:
    sicko

Ah, yes. Scouse. White bread, medium sliced. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    sicko

No, actually bread shouldn't turn into a soggy clod when squeezed.
  • Does anyone know what that burnt toast smell is on the embankment around Chelsea Bridge / Royal Hospital area?
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I like toast of any description.

I like to leave it go cold (therefore crispy) before placing large amounts of thick butter all over it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Anyone tried Malt loaf toast?

If not, just go ahead and try, it's fecking gorgeous... with Golden Syrup you basically have a 5 minute sugar rush :D
    Essentially, you are describing Christmas cake with golden syrup. If you increase your commute to 45 miles each way, you should be able to maintain a steady weight.
  • 5milestogo wrote:
    Does anyone know what that burnt toast smell is on the embankment around Chelsea Bridge / Royal Hospital area?

No but on the south side of the river it is much stronger. I go past it ever day and can't work it out.

Smells like hot wood. Very odd. Must be a factory.

Malt loaf is disgusting by the way. 10% bread, 90% ear wax.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    my toast has to have cheese and bacons inside... but i'm also partial to the birdseed breads :|
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:
    sicko

Ah, yes. Scouse. White bread, medium sliced. :wink:

ahh warburtons ultra mega thick sliced thank you very much...or hedgehog bread please

i work about 5 mins way from the Jacobs factory, depending what they are cooking you can smell it miles away, we had garlic yesterday
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Chadders81 wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:
    Does anyone know what that burnt toast smell is on the embankment around Chelsea Bridge / Royal Hospital area?

No but on the south side of the river it is much stronger. I go past it ever day and can't work it out.

Could be the Sambrook's brewery in Battersea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Yeah - could be hops; I get it from the flour mill across the Quays and it does smell like toast.

Commuting smells are always weird round my way - in my current past commutes I've had:

1) pink custard and meat pies from somewhere in Ashton
    2) hops from the JW Lees and Boddington's breweries
    3) cake from the Park Cake bakery in Oldham
    4) Chocolate digestives from the McVities factory - sooooo nice
    5) whatever they're having for lunch at Strangeways - they seem to have cabbage a lot, judging by the smell
    6) A horrible disgusting fishy smell from the Seamark prawn processing plant near Man City that had me holding my breath for a good 200m
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

Could be the Sambrook's brewery in Battersea.

I haven't noticed the toast, but Sheen smells of baked potatoes when the Mortlake brewery is doing something or other. Years ago there used to be a similar smell around the Queenstown Road area where if I recollect correctly there used to be a gin distillery - but I might be completely wrong about that

I agree about malt loaf - in our house (not by me) it gets peanut butter spread on it for extra disgustingness.
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    Depending on which way I commute into work, I can either take in the aroma of the Fosters brewery (There are no smileys for a sick face?!) or the poppers-smelling Manchester Aquatics Centre.

If I take the Aquatics route, I also get to sample the range of smells of Manchester's famous Curry Mile. The afternoon smells great, ovens firing up, smells like an Indian BBQ. The morning after however it's a much less pleasing smell. What a sh*t tip it can be in the mornings.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    5milestogo wrote:

Costa Coffee's coffe bean roasting factory.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had some for breakfast yesterday. Between me and the 2 kids we had to do the second loaf. Ooops.

we get through 4 or 5 packets of malt loaf botyhb original and toasted a week. I introduced the wife and kids to it and they love it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem