Wooden bikes...

eyko
eyko Posts: 68
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670944/a-7 ... ld-chair#1

I'm not sure which is crazier the looks (although I do kind of like it) or the price :shock:
FCN 7

Comments

• tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    ...or the appalling photoshopping of Valverde?
  • tetm wrote:
    ...or the appalling photoshopping of Valverde?
    Invisible brake hood!

That bike is bullshit, they need to get rid of the chain and replace it with a bit of vine, then I'll be interested.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Yeah I thought it looked a prime candidate for belt drive! I guess no hole in the frame possible during production sadly.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    644073_440340472674194_1910889775_n.jpg

I like this one
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    A snip at $70,000!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • pangolin wrote:
    Yeah I thought it looked a prime candidate for belt drive! I guess no hole in the frame possible during production sadly.
    Indeed. Overpriced and stupid.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm sorry, very pretty but that frame geometry would collapse under any rider over 0.5 kilos - even if it were made out of Moots Titanium.

Art for the wall, not a practical bicycle.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Was a Bamboo bike at the NEC - weighed a 'ton'....

That wooden bike is pathetic, not even road legal and $70,000 - there 'avin a giraffe!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    edited October 2012
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'm sorry, very pretty but that frame geometry would collapse under any rider over 0.5 kilos - even if it were made out of Moots Titanium.

Art for the wall, not a practical bicycle.

If you read the article, you'll notice that it says "Thonet, which makes one of the most famous chairs in the world, commissions a high-end bike to show off its wood-bending process". It's obviously not intended to be a practical bike. Thonet chairs - which also inspired the first tubular steel chairs - don't collapse under the weight of their occupants. I think you'd be surprised at what wood can do, but yes, it might be a tad springy. Price is daft of course.
    Thonet-Rocking-Chair.gif
    breuer_stuhl_118_big.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    edited October 2012
    I've been loaned a bamboo bike for a week by Bamboo Bikes - it's actually surprisingly light. Bloody good fun too - although that's probably just because it's a mountain bike and I haven't ridden 'off piste' for a while.

He's a picture of her resting up in Richmond Park: http://www.andbike.cc/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bamboo-bike.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    London-Red wrote:
    I've been loaned a bamboo bike for a week by Bamboo Bikes - it's actually surprisingly light. Bloody good fun too - although that's probably just because it's a mountain bike and I haven't ridden 'off piste' for a while.

He's a picture of her resting up in Richmond Park: [urlhttp://www.andbike.cc/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bamboo-bike.jpg[/url]
    I really like the idea of them. Have you got it now? Can I have a look?
  • london-red
    Yeah, of course you can. Either tonight or tomorrow evening, or before I set off in the mornings are the only times I can do though. Got it until Thursday.
  • I also know someone who would be interested in a bamboo bike. Any chance you could let them have a taste?

Obviously I'm joking. I don't know anyone.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973

The bamboo bike in the bbc article was designed in part by a friend (Dr Broughton) and ridden by him and another colleague in the TransAlp race. I think it's probably also the bike being used by London-Red if it's come from bamboobikes.

some more info..... http://www.brookes.ac.uk/business_emplo ... bamboobike
  • veronese68
    London-Red wrote:
    Yeah, of course you can. Either tonight or tomorrow evening, or before I set off in the mornings are the only times I can do though. Got it until Thursday.
    PM'd you. I think I may get a few comments off the wife when I tell her I'm popping up the road to look at a bamboo bike.
  • london-red
    gbsahne wrote:

The bamboo bike in the bbc article was designed in part by a friend (Dr Broughton) and ridden by him and another colleague in the TransAlp race. I think it's probably also the bike being used by London-Red if it's come from bamboobikes.

Yep, that's the one - looks the same as pic I linked to above.

http://www.andbike.cc/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bamboo-bike.jpg
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    PM'd you. I think I may get a few comments off the wife when I tell her I'm popping up the road to look at a bamboo bike.
    Pick up a glass hammer while you're out etc?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

Yep, that's the one - looks the same as pic I linked to above.

http://www.andbike.cc/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bamboo-bike.jpg

PM'd back. I think - not sure if it got through.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bamboo bikes. Cool (if you like that sort of thing) but they are NOT made of wood.

Bamboo is a type of grass iirc.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Daz555 wrote:
    Bamboo bikes. Cool (if you like that sort of thing) but they are NOT made of wood.

Bamboo is a type of grass iirc.

Boudica's chariot was actually a militarised bamboo lawnmower.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What about Kalfee ones?

There are some bikes which use bamboo and lay it up in fibres....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    coriordan wrote:
    What about Kalfee ones?

Calfee.

His are massively expensive, but he also provided design and training to a number of start ups around the world. Zambikes produce one of his frames and next time I'm in Lusaka I'm going to look into getting one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    Asprilla wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    What about Kalfee ones?

Calfee.

His are massively expensive, but he also provided design and training to a number of start ups around the world. Zambikes produce one of his frames and next time I'm in Lusaka I'm going to look into getting one.

Like it's at the end of the Northern Line.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I've got some bamboo socks.
  • veronese68
    The bamboo bike is brilliant and surprisingly light, even if it's not technically wood it still grows out of the ground. Thanks for stopping by LR. Probably just as well I still can't ride as I'd want one even more.
    I love the idea of them, I even like the idea of building my own, like this, but would never have the time in reality.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    What about Kalfee ones?

Calfee.

Like it's at the end of the Northern Line.

I've got family there so I get over every couple of years.

On the other hand, I don't think I've been on the Northern Line for at least three years ;)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    I wouldn't rush back. The grinding awfulness of it forced me back onto the bike last night despite my knee still being pretty sore from last week's off.

BTW, bamboo is not wood, it's a grass {/pedant}
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    BTW, bamboo is not wood, it's a grass {/pedant}
    Keep up RJS, already pedanted at the top of the page. It's a plant so vaguely related which is good enough for me.
    I still really like it, saw London Red ride by this morning and was slightly green looking at the bike, exacerbated by the fact I still can't even ride a bike.
  • rjsterry
    Oops, missed that Veronese.

Here's some more info on the Thonet bike. Clearly it is rideable (despite the dodgy photoshop work in that article), although still no explanation of why it costs £43,000. Presumably down to the cost of the bespoke tooling and the low production run.

http://uk.phaidon.com/agenda/design/articles/2012/october/08/andy-martin-and-thonets-classic-ride/
    Pinnacle Monzonite