Wheelset ideas

YorkshireLad
YorkshireLad Posts: 18
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Had a little ride and a fall in the peaks today. Absolutely destroyed my front wheel off a drop and buckled my back one, as a result i am in the market for a good all mountain wheelset, not too bothered about weight, need 9mm QR. Any ideas?

Comments

• Probably up to about £300
  • Does it matter that my disc brakes aren't 6 bolt rotors. I think they are centre lock but im not sure. My bike is a felt virtue 3.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    edited October 2012
    To save buying new rotors I'd be tempted by these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=76698
    However you could get the superstar stans deal and new rotors for less.

Edit: forget that, you asked for AM wheels, these are XC.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Buy some 6 bolt rotors and you are sorted.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would personally go for Hope Hoops over the Switch deal if you can afford it. There isn't much between the front hubs but there are a few differences between the rear hubs.

The Pro II Evo's have better sealing than the Switch Evo's, this means the bearings last longer. The bearings in my Pro II Evo are still going strong after a year of horrible conditions, the ones in the Switch Evo needed replaced after about 6 months and then again after another 3 months with less milage and in drier conditions. Also I have found the freehubs to be much better on the Pro II than on the Switch, I cracked the Switch freehub pretty well after about 8 months of use, the Pro II one doesn't even have any scoring from the cassette (a PG 990 and XT). I'm a big guy and can put down a fair bit of power when I want too so I'm definitely not easy on freehubs. Also the Switch freehub kept getting sticky every few wet rides, no matter what grease or lube I would use (I tried the usual teflon grease, wet chain lube, light oil etc.) I would open it up and find it totally dry and on occasions really quite rusty in there. That didn't happen until about a year in but I haven't had to touch my Hope one in a year and when I opened it up not long ago all of the original grease was still in there.

The rear Switch's do have a slightly better axle changing system but I still like the end cap system on the Pro II Evo. Another thing that goes in the Hope's favour is they should be shipping with the new Flow EX rim, the Superstar's look like they are just standard Flow's. That's assuming you're looking at the Flow's.
  • Ok i have some shimano brakes on my felt, but not sure exactly what model, anyone know which rotors would fit these brakes? The felt has recons on the front, and a manitou radium rear shock. Xt rear derailleur, lx cranks. Can anyone id the brakes and maybe the year? Then tell me what rotors i need, alot of questions in there sorry.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Pretty much any 6 bolt rotor should work, just make sure it is the right size. Clarks, Superstar and Shimano all do some decent cheap 6 bolt rotors, just watch the Clarks rotor bolts, they can be a bit hit and miss with the quality.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as they are the same diameter it doesn't matter
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The size is usually etched onto the rotor, just get one the same size if you need to change them.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ta for all the quick reply's. I like the idea of hope hubs but i just don't think its that viable when there as good wheelsets for cheaper. Sorry for sounding a bit special about the rotors. I know they are 180mm front and 160mm back.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd go for the £200 Superstar Stan's deal and get the rotors from them as well. Don't forget rotor bolts too. Well under your £300 budget for that lot!

It's worth buying some rim tape as the Superstar stuff that comes with their wheels is pants. I'm using some Syncros Nylon/PVC tape from CRC - think it was £1 per wheel.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    peter413 wrote:
    I would personally go for Hope Hoops over the Switch deal if you can afford it.

Seconded, but go for the steel free hub, the alloy ones get eaten by the casettes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Id get none of the above and instead get these:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/american ... 57703.html

EDIT: Sorry, not 9mm QR.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    a good all mountain wheelset, not too bothered about weight, need 9mm QR. Any ideas?

Or if you're after a proper AM set go for a Superstar custom build with Stan's Arch EX and Trizoid rear hub but that will set you back about £330 (with double butted spokes) so over budget.

I'd still say the Stan's deal though - it's basically a £300 wheelset for £200...happy days
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8