Complete Newbi - Bike Advice

ajsnedz
ajsnedz Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I hope you dont mind me posting on here, i have just joined as i am looking to buy my first road bike and i am completely lost. I have searched through the first 15-20 threads but no thread is as per my budgets etc so apologies for another new thread.

All i thought i had to do was pop down to my local halfords and collect one, however having googled a few reviews of their bikes i have quickly learnt to avoid halfords and take no cognisence of the "deals" and prices are inflated prior to sales.

My problem is i am not looking to spend a fortune on it as it is my first road bike and simply upgrading from my mountain bike to enjoy longer weekend cycles. I am looking to spead around £400 which is currently restricting me to halfords in terms of costs. I am currently looking at their Carrera Zelos (£599.99 reduced to £329.99) and the Carrera Virtuoso (£379.00). Are they as bad as everyone says or will these bikes/specifications suit for a first road bike. Also with the price range was a Claud Butler San Remo 2012 which go-outdoors are selling for £365.

Can anyone confirm if any of these bikes are worth buying for a first road bike at under £400 or point me in the direction? Or am i totally nieve at wanting a road bike for under £400?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice.

Alan

Comments

• Triban 3 if you can get it in your size - seems to get some pretty good reviews and is £299
    http://www.cyclingscotland.org/news/cyc ... -3-review/
    viewtopic.php?p=17113516
  • Unfortunately Halfords do sell cheap bikes to the sort of people that really do not ride and probably never will. This means that Halfords get tarred with a broad brush that says everything they sell is crap, this is not true!

The Carrera and Boardman range of bikes are very well built and well specced bikes for the prices. You don't have to trust what I say as BR reveiwers say it too http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... o-09-34691

Have a look around the mtb forums and you will see there is no prejudice about Carreras and most people who critisise them have never owned nor ridden one.

I have owned a Virtuoso and still own a Vanquish and use it most days for commuting and have done so for the last 4 years it is a great bike.

Whilst I agree you may find that the staff in Halfords may know less than the staff in an average bike shop but the same can be said of the staff in any Decathlon or Go Outdoors. Personally I have enough knowledge and tools to completely rebuild a bike but if I didn't I would take it to a lbs to ensure it was built correctly.
  • Foyzy
    Foyzy Posts: 38
    I would say you are probably better off picking up a good second hand bike like a Specialized Allez than a new road bike for less than £400. So long as it is in good condition you will get more enjoyment from riding a better bike. If you can stretch to them and are set on buying new, then as as has been said before, the Boardman bikes from Halfords are very well specced for the money and get good reviews.
  • Don't worry about getting a £400 Carrera; there's nothing wrong with them.

If you can get one for a really good price you will be slightly better off with a used Specialized or similar, but there really is only so much difference - disregarding the target buyer - among the plethora between all of the cheap aluminium bikes available; whether they cost £400 or £900. Cheap lightish aluminium frames with cheap carbon forks, very basic parts, low-end [generally] incomplete Shimano groupsets, and cheap rims on cheap hubs, styled after racing wheels with as few spokes as possible; this is generally what you get. There isn't £300 between a Carrera and a Specialized.

To be perfectly honest I would prioritise build, fit and aftercare over what the bike actually is; it's great when the shop looks after you but it's also good to have friends who know what they're doing when it comes to bikes.