People's thoughts on this bike ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
After taking people's advice on here and going to look at the rockrider 8.1 another bike in decathlon caught my eye and after getting more money for my bike on eBay I have a bit more money to spend.

This is the bike I'm talking about the 8 xc replica

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... 68896.html

I've not come across anybody on here reccomending it and was wondering why not ? Or have I just missed them or is there better carbon framed bikes out there for the money ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not seen/heard of this before but that looks an awesome bike for the dosh!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    thats what i thought its the replica to this bike http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... 36504.html
    but not seen anybody mention it on here or any proper reveiws any was wondering if there was a reason for this ?
  • Anonymous
    So nobody knows anything or has any thoughts on this bike ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like a great deal - same frame as the more expensive one but with cheaper (but still good) components.
    Decathlon bikes come recommended in general, so I guess if you are looking for a decent carbon bike, with potential to upgrade it should be on the list.

If I wanted something like that though, I'd get this - £100 more but with Rebas
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOWHCAB/o ... _bike_2013
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Ok cheers for that something to look into.
  • Anonymous
    Like the title says for £900 would people be this bike ?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... 68896.html

I sort of asked before but with not a great response.

I've seen other bikes recommended on here for less cash but with better group sets etc but with ally frames where as this is a carbon fibre frame.

Would I be better spending less and getting a better group set or getting the carbon and adding to it at a later date ?

Thanks in advance for all advice.
  • Anonymous
    I'm thinking something like this that has been recommended.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/ ... m-7-0.html
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    edited October 2012
    It's a nice bike, I had a look at one last time I was in Decathlon. The problem with it though is that for an extra hundred quid you can get an On-One Whippet, I haven't compared the spec but I'd say the On-One wins on Kudos anyway. I think it's got a better fork too.

Edit:

Just had a quick look, the Whippet has got a far better spec too

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOWHCAB/on_on ... _bike_2013
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12883175&p=17917496#p17917496

What sort of response are you actually expecting?

I would get the On One I linked to which is already upgraded.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    why not buy the 8.1 and save 400quid,not much of a difference in the bikes apart from the carbon frame.would be my choice.i have the 9.1 FS and love it,been down the black run at innerleithen and done glentress last week and was approached by 2 lads to have a nosey at it,even though they were on a giant anthem and trek fuel ex8,oh and its only 700
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Depends where ya riding but if it was a pure XC bike that I was after I think I'd go for the 100mm SID & XT crankset on the Radon and with the £300 I'd save (over the Whippet) pimp it with a carbon seatpost & bars and still have change
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Good to see we're on the same page cooldad, I didn't see that other thread either :)

@ Hainman, no more 9.1s Not yet anyway. The new 9.2 looks the dogs though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Anonymous
    Just sold my cannondale Jekyll fs so defo not in market for another fs but that does look a nice bit of kit.
    That's what I was wondering wether the 8 xc rep is worth the extra £400 to the 8.1 the only thing that puts me off the 8.1 is the colour scheme. The anodised blue looks really cheap and naff apart from that everything else is fine.

£900 is above my original budget and I was hoping to get some sort of discount on it that's why I asked for advice again because the bikes recommended were above and beyond the £900.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You'll be lucky to get discount in decathlon, but don't let that put you off asking
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    I did ask about discount in a diffrent thread with mixed answers.

Anyway just been looking on bike discount .de website and there is 6 or so diffrent ZR team 7.0 bikes all at varies colour and prices. Why is this ? and what is the difference ?
  • Anonymous
    something else i noticed is they all have a base price and then a tax and freight charge but the base price can be £50 apart but final price is the same if you see what i mean ?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    jimmy182 wrote:
    I did ask about discount in a diffrent thread with mixed answers.

Have you tried asking in a... ... ... ... Decathlon store?
    Anyway just been looking on bike discount .de website and there is 6 or so diffrent ZR team 7.0 bikes all at varies colour and prices. Why is this ? and what is the difference ?

Radons tend to offer the same bike with either SRAM or Shimano, and then they do the ZR Race and ZR Team bike, which are slightly different in geometry, but similar in spec. Then there's next years bikes coming in too.
    something else i noticed is they all have a base price and then a tax and freight charge but the base price can be £50 apart but final price is the same if you see what i mean ?

Not really. There's the price of the bike, which includes VAT, and then there's the shipping, which they show in a table on the website. That's it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    topics merged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Ah i see now it was the way they listed it then put the rrp below it. Really like the team 7.0 when you say dif geometry would it be suitable for trail riding still ?
  • Anonymous
    Well after much debate I didn't go for the commencal or the rockrider xc but the radon team 7.0 with a few upgrades. It's all ordered and should be here within 3 weeks. Thanks for all your help and I will post a pic up in the my bike section when it gets here if anyone's interested.
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    Should be alot quicker than 3 weeks if the bike is in stock, my team 6 took 6 days from order to delivery. When you check the tracking number make sure to use dhl.de and not co.uk as it won't show up. Made this mistake myself and was suprised to find my bike waiting for me at my next door neighbour after work.
  • Anonymous
    Ah cheers for that mate I have been using .co.uk and says not available. Ill check .de now.