Short-term singlespeed botch?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, I'm an idiot, I know.

I merrily ordered a set of hydraulic brakes without giving any thought to the fact that my bike currently has integrated brake/shift levers. :oops:

So, while I'm waiting (probably a week to ten days :roll:) for my newly ordered shifters to arrive, I suppose the best thing I can do is to dissconnnect the old shifter/levers and run it effectively as a single speed. I won't be attempting any proper rides in this time - just bedding in the new brakes and maybe some simple skills practice.

1. Anyone tried doing this without removing the chain from the derailleurs? I know you can (reportedly) clamp cables under bottle cage bolts etc to keep them from moving, etc. Or do you have a better idea?

2. What gear ratio would you recommend? (24/34/42 Front sprockets, 11,13,15,17,20,23,26,30,34 Rear sprockets, to choose from)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very simple....Yes done it, use about a 2:1 ratio, so 34 front and 17 rear.
    Move the front cage out on the L stop until it's OK.
    At the rear get a spare gear cable and cut off about a 6" length, wind the adjuster all the way in, push the cable piece through the adjuster, using your third hand (sic) align the rear cage (in gear) with the gear you want, then using hands 1 and 2, pull the cable tight and do up clamp bolt, then as it will always be a bit too slack use the adjuster to centre the guide pulley over the chose sprocket, cut off excess cable.

Go ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Great - thanks for the tips - had been thinking of just coiling up the cable but of course I have all sorts of spare ends lying around, so that makes a lot more sense!