Regression to teenager... Mixtape for new girlfriend

simon2names
simon2names Posts: 56
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
Ok, so after a long time i've started seeing a new girl and it's her birthday this week and wanted to get her something personalised so i've regressed to my teenage years (some time ago now sadly) and thought i'd make her an old school mixtape and am after suggestions for tracks to go on it... To give you some idea of the sort of music that i/she likes heres my current idea, please add, take away, laugh hysterically at my sad sap suggestions!
Closer -Kings of Leon,
Secret Smile - Semisonic
Robin Hood - Ocean Colour Scene
Breathe - Angels and Airwaves
A Twist in my story - Secondhand Serenade
Everybody knows (except you) - Divine Comedy
Rule the world - Take That (yes, really!)
First Day of my life - Bright Eyes
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap
Use Somebody (Kings of Leon) Covered by Bat for Lashes
You and me song - Wannadies
So a mix of cheesey pop, cheesey smaltzy rock and some cheesey indie.

Not really after old school motown or anything toooooo obscure, but all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to your ideas,

Thanks,
Simon

Comments

• murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    Forgotten how good that Temper Trap song was :D

Oasis- Wonderwall
  • Sadly that's the one caveat... She doesn't like oasis, so no wonderwall, no talk tonight, no masterplan... Which girl doesn't like a drunk man singing oasis songs to her??
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If it really is a tape, you may have to buy her something to play it in as well. Don't forget the tastefully hand-decorated case art for your tape/CD!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • That's a damned good point! I can see this taking longer than anticipated...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Alright by Supergrass
    Today by Smashing Pumpkins
    So Real (or owt really) by Jeff Buckley
    Fade into You by Mazzy Star
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    Can't believe she don't like Oasis
    Sorry I think you should dump her over this lol :mrgreen:
  • I only have Elvis and Michael Buble tracks, so if split from wife and got a new girl, she would have to like one or both of them. As for you list, I don't know any of them.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    you have read Nick Hornby/watched Hi fidelity :D

OT but I thought the film had a much more resolved ending than the book
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    This is not the only gift you are giving her, right?
  • BowtomePhil - I was thinking that about oasis, but appears that my persuasion isn't working in that regard! What would be on your list then?

ThomThom - At the moment, yes this is the only thing i'm getting her, other than dinner and flowers - I'm saving for a deposit on a house and she'd cause me physical pain if i spend lots on her. I know this is woman code, hence the dinner and flowers and felt that her first birthday with me would be better remembered by something personal like the mixtape than something bland and bought. Although might still go with bland and bought if the ideas don't pick up!

Team47b, always prefered the book to be honest, even with the less satisfactory ending, that and the fact that it didn't have John Cusack in it, don't dislike him, it just shouldn't have been him!

NapD, cheers fella, shall go Jeff Buckley hunting!
  • Ok, so after a long time i've started seeing a new girl and it's her birthday this week and wanted to get her something personalised so i've regressed to my teenage years (some time ago now sadly) and thought i'd make her an old school mixtape and am after suggestions for tracks to go on it...

Confused! ...Surely you want to put music that she enjoys yet "we" don't know her?
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    murf1480 wrote:
    Can't believe she don't like Oasis
    Sorry I think you should dump her over this lol :mrgreen:

Won't be a problem, when she gets a tape mostly made up of songs she didn't want instead of some nice Jimmy Choo's and expensive flowers she'll dump him :shock: :D
  • Pauldavid - that raised a smirk, thank you! I'll bear that in mind for Christmas!

Junglist - Granted, but the thing is she's not really into music and when she does have the radio on it's mostly into pop, and really crap pop - think capital radio. So i'm trying to broaden her tastes, as it were, but also being a bit cheesey at the same time, so i'm more after romantical type songs that will make her smile to begin with. So yep, perhaps the personalised bit is stretching it a bit far, i think i just mean more personalised than buying her a pair of jimmy choos - which are now on the Christmas list (if it makes it that far, bearing in mind the cheap arsed nature of this birthday present!)
  • PaulS77
    PaulS77 Posts: 48
    First Day of my life - Bright Eyes

Love that song, good shout
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    If she likes crap pop music, save he tokens out of the sun to get 1 Direction tickets for cheap.

We are currently buying the bloody comic for this very reason for my daughter.

Just be careful if you do that the one who looks like e needs a bloody good haircut doesn't take a shine to her. Apparently he is the young human equivalent of a Jack Russell I owned some time ago that used to frantically rub hissElf against ladies legs leaving behind a small amount of Terrier Relish :shock: :shock: :lol:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Either Tonight, Tonight or 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
    Angels & Devils (live version) by Dishwalla
    On and On by Longpigs

If you are really good, you can borrow my girlfriend's and my "our song", This Year's Love by David Gray.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Soul meets body - Death Cab for Cutie
    Naive - Kooks
    Hold On - Alabama Shakes
    Easy - Faith No More (no, not the original)
    Long Road to Ruin - Foo Fighters
    Smile Like You Mean It - Killers
    Coming up Easy - Paolo Nutini
    Gone in the Morning (single version) - Newton Faulkner

And no, you can't have 'our' song.
  • closer - nine inch nails :twisted:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Confused! ...Surely you want to put music that she enjoys yet "we" don't know her?

Don't be silly, what's more romantic than a load of songs chosen by a load of weirdoes on the internet who's only thing in common is that they can be arsed to reply on a cycling thread?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Denise La Salle- Don't mess with my toot-toot
  • I would probably do the following, yes I am old. Maybe tell her a story in your choices.

"Love me tender"
    "You're the one that I want" (yes I am a grease fan also)
    "Home" Buble
    "Lost" Buble (2 classics)
    "Save the last dance for me" Buble
    "all I want for xmas is you" Buble
    and to end it somebody current I like Bruno Mars and
    "Marry you"
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I would probably do the following, yes I am old. Maybe tell her a story in your choices.

"Love me tender"
    "Home" Buble
    "Marry you"

Well, at least her mum will like this mix-tape :wink:
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Tape!? :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    'Beautiful Disaster' by 311,
    'Hey Man, Nice Shot' by Filter,
    'Lazy Eye' by Silversun Pickup and
    'The Joker' by Steve Miller Band, have fun, man...........
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    invincible wrote:
    closer - nine inch nails :twisted:

F*cking lol !
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    I would probably do the following, yes I am old. Maybe tell her a story in your choices.

"Love me tender"
    "Home" Buble
    "Marry you"

Well, at least her mum will like this mix-tape :wink:

rofl
  • Give her a copy of lou reeds Metal Machine Music. You will know after she listens to this if she really likes you. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Give her a copy of lou reeds Metal Machine Music. You will know after she listens to this if she really likes you. :D

Either that or she might feel very, very unloved.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Robin hood - the Rifles
    Robin hood - the Metros
  • Ignore the naysayers - this is a cracking idea. And if she gets all upset expecting shoes and jewellery, maybe she's not the onev:) I gave my wife a mix CD for her first birthday and it worked out great for us :)