Thoughts after 29er test ride...

4ndyW
4ndyW Posts: 68
edited October 2012 in MTB general
So, i finally got to test out a 29er as i wanted to see for myself what all the fuss is about, as on paper everything a 29er does best should fit my riding style.

Overall i was impressed, however i would need to get the front end down to a sensible level as i kinda felt i needed a basket on the front. The 29er did climb really well, but could not stop thinking that if i was in a more aggressive position it would be even better.

So i guess i would like to hear from other XC guys to see how you got on? did you manage to put a - Degree stem on and that was it? have you guys raced on a 29er and felt the benefits?.

Getting back to the ride i had tho, it did feel very odd when i first took it out and must of taken about an hour to feel 'right'....after that i had some big grins on my face and only nearly face planted once when i was trying to push it through some technical gullies....

Thinking of getting one in the new year and particularly looking at the Grand Canyon AL 29 as the reviews that i have found seem to suggest that it was a very xc orientated 29er.

Sorry for the ramblings... :lol:

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Virtually everyone I know who rides/races a 29er has a negative rise stem, a couple with -17 degree ones to get the front end lower.
  • 4ndyW
    yeah i see that Ritchey do the WCS in a -17
  • njee20
    Yep, Bontrager do them too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I tried the Trek Superfly Elite at the NEC demo day, certainly was quick out the blocks, rolled very fast, but even that felt slow and cumbersum on tight corners (slower and more cumbersum than my Heinz bike (link in Sig). The front end height on that felt OK to me......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I test rode a carve earlier this year, which I eventually bought (current steed). I felt the same about the height at the front. I ride with a spacer dropped down and a shorter stem now, which gives me that more aggressive profile, and still feels quite planted.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    4ndyW wrote:
    have you guys raced on a 29er and felt the benefits?.
    :
    Yes, i'm roughly 10% faster now compared to 26" over the same tracks.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 4ndyW
    Yeah i did have the front wheel drift off on me a few times, which makes sense as my weight was not over the front enough. I really wanna go out and ride it again, but this time with the correct stem setup for me.

Just remembered another benifit, gloopy muddy section were easier, wheels did not get bogged down so much :lol:
  • 4ndyW
    sorry sufbum, did not see your post there, good to hear your faster cus of it. Was that on a typical uk xc course?
  • VWsurfbum
    4ndyW wrote:
    sorry sufbum, did not see your post there, good to hear your faster cus of it. Was that on a typical uk xc course?
    yes, i have ridden normal XC race courses on both, also have done a lot of trail center riding on both. the 29er is much faster on both. only downside i have found (which you have found) is the tight corners or switchbacks, but even they are better now that i'm used to it.

You will find they get through mud better and genrally have more grip in corners too.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 4ndyW
    Yeah, definitely more positives than negatives....Think it's going to be time i have a look into what one to go for. Like i mentioned before i fancy the Canyon AL 29, any other XC race orientated 29er suggestions?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    4ndyW wrote:
    yes, i have ridden normal XC race courses on both, also have done a lot of trail center riding on both. the 29er is much faster on both. only downside i have found (which you have found) is the tight corners or switchbacks, but even they are better now that i'm used to it.

You will find they get through mud better and genrally have more grip in corners too.

What he said ^^^

I am quicker on a 29er accross the board... for the riding I do, XC/trail centre/natural stuff

Really tight technical stuff can be noticeable, wouldn't say it was a massive issue though, you just notice the bike is not quite so agile... I don't get wedged between trees or jammed in switchbacks... TBH I get more problems through wide bars than big wheels...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    I'd not expect a 10% speed gain though in general, that's colossal. If a 29er genuinely offered a 10 minute advantage in an XC race you'd never see another 26" wheeled bike!
  • The Rookie
    Some logged data I've seen suggested a 0.5-1mph improvement in average speed over a circa 20mph start point on a 26er, so 2.5-5%, not 10%!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    That's got to be on the road, so a bit of a moot point anyway.
  • VWsurfbum
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd not expect a 10% speed gain though in general, that's colossal. If a 29er genuinely offered a 10 minute advantage in an XC race you'd never see another 26" wheeled bike!
    Ahh but i'm no pro, so the 29er is easier to pedal, easier over terrain, better climbing for me - so over the course of a lap it adds up for me.
    Now i was at the olympics and if it added up for all of them they would all use them, but it only works for a few of them so its horses for courses.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 4ndyW
    Thanks guys for you replies.....I'm pretty sure that i will be getting one of these big wheeled beauties. :lol: :P
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    That's got to be on the road, so a bit of a moot point anyway.
    No, a known local trail circuit, fairly flat and a relatively fast surface. hence the decent averages, loop is 13 miles, inludes about 1mile of link roads.
  • njee20
    If it's a 21mph average surely it's as near as dammit a road...? Plenty of folk who can't ride 13 miles at 21mph on a road bike!
    Ahh but i'm no pro, so the 29er is easier to pedal, easier over terrain, better climbing for me - so over the course of a lap it adds up for me.

Yep, wasn't suggesting that you didn't notice a 10% increase (although how much was purely wheel size?), just that you can't expect to get 10% quicker on a 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    njee20 wrote:

Yep, wasn't suggesting that you didn't notice a 10% increase (although how much was purely wheel size?), just that you can't expect to get 10% quicker on a 29er.
    Very true.
    It is noticeably faster though. if i could be bothered i'd dig out the route timings.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anyone got a view on the On-One Inbred 29er? they have them for £599 ATM, seems pretty awesome deal
  • The Rookie
    If you paid that for everything but the frame it would be a bargain, the Inbreds ride well even if the looks are an 'aquired taste'....2 people I ride with have them....
  • VWsurfbum
    Bargain!
    I had a scandal, it was just a little harsh, so the inbred should be better!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Yesterday the Inbred 29er was £599! I had emailed them about it, they said the offer would stand till October 28th ........ Hmmm thats a bit rubbish I just convinced my girlfriend that the bike that would appear in our hall belonged to a friend!