Navigation app

MonkFunk
MonkFunk Posts: 91
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was wondering if anyone could recommend an app for Navigation? Ideally something that you can load a .gpx file to and use to navigate a route that someone else has done.........if such a thing exists?

There is some apparently good singletrack near me but it's the kind of place you need to know where you're going to find the best bits and also to not get lost! I've found some routes online in .gpx format and would like to try and follow them but unsure what is the best way to do this? I can't justify the expense of a dedicated gps unit at the moment so only really looking at apps.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Trails is probably the best for loading gpx into and following. It uses OS mapping that has trails marked on it (in some places) but also has a ghost ride feature that allows you to load GPXs in and have them show on the live mapping. It also allows you to download the maps to the phone so you're not reliant on a signal, but you need to do that in advance.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks, I'll look into that.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just get an OS map, at least then the battery wont run out leaving you lost.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Just get an OS map, at least then the battery wont run out leaving you lost.

I was planning on doing both
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Also look at viewranger.

Can't be arsed to retype:
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12883082