Police driver problem

usedtobefast
usedtobefast Posts: 145
edited October 2012 in The bottom bracket
And people wonder why there's lack of respect for authority in these times. These people are meant to set an example, most are just like any of us but with a badge which gives them a God complex (but GP's are still the masters of this).

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/video ... h-cyclist/

Personally I don't think the near miss is that close, but maybe difficult to tell from the video, but it's the attitude of the driver.
Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
Fuji Track Comp 2010

Comments

• I can't really see a problem. They both made mistakes and no one was anywhere near being injured. Not everything in life will go your own way, no point getting grumpy about it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oh dear. we've already had a ridiculous, moaning, multi page thread about this very non-incident.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • For myself the problem is the officer refusing to give his name and number - didn't think they could refuse these requests from anyone.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Why?

Officer probably very busy and has no time to deal with a communter who was gleefully fishing for headcam footage to put on youtube.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    For myself the problem is the officer refusing to give his name and number - didn't think they could refuse these requests from anyone.

His number was clearly displayed on his uniform. Anyone too stupid to see it would be unlikely to remember why he had asked for it a few minutes later.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    I was trying to figure out why he was riding where he was, when there was a bus and cycle lane on his inside going the same way.

And then I realised. If he was in that lane he'd have no confrontations at all, and that wouldn't do would it?

The older I get, the better I was.

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Much ado about nothing. Next.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Two twerps having an argument over nothing... One could state that there is a clear correlation between riders who wear helmet cams and those who are looking for an argument.
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    point one, if a police car does not have lights and sirens on they are bound to the law same as us - shouldn't be in a bus lane.

point two, people wearing headcams seem to get a lot more near misses than the rest of us.... call me a cynic!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I was trying to figure out why he was riding where he was, when there was a bus and cycle lane on his inside going the same way.

And then I realised. If he was in that lane he'd have no confrontations at all, and that wouldn't do would it?

Because there's a bus right behind him, so rather than inconvenience the bus driver for the next 4 miles, he used a different lane. He also makes a right turn further up.

Regardless of whether you think the cyclist is a twat or not, the policeman undertook him in a bus lane.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    I think the policemans sunnies just don't suit him at all. What a twonk.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • an interesting point worthy of responding to, if only to get top 4
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Seriously though he's got a Range Rover in London, what did you expect? What d'ya mean they don't get to choose? :)
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Why?

Officer probably very busy and has no time to deal with a communter who was gleefully fishing for headcam footage to put on youtube.

Well said, plus the 'near miss' was not that near - been in far worse positions and come out unscathed.... ( apart from when officer 'Fez' drove into me at Barton Street Police Station, Gloucester.....!
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    craprider wrote:
    point one, if a police car does not have lights and sirens on they are bound to the law same as us - shouldn't be in a bus lane.

Wrong!
  • Lucan2 wrote:
    craprider wrote:

Wrong!
    My understanding was that emergency vehicles are bound by the laws, the same as us.

Clearly, they will not be prosecuted when responding to a call, but they are never above the law. And, even if they're responding to a call, and cause an accident, then they will be prosecuted, unless it is "not in the public's interest".

On police, ambulance and fire brigade drivers, the draft guidance advises prosecutors to use discretion in deciding whether or not a prosecution is required in the public interest if an offence is committed while responding to an emergency call.

"It is unlikely to be appropriate to proceed with a prosecution on public interest grounds if a police officer, ambulance driver or firefighter commits a driving offence while responding to an emergency call unless the driving is dangerous or indicates a high degree of culpability,"

I read that as meaning the same laws apply at all times. It's just that the CPS won't proceed unless it's in the public interest.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    It's the lights and sirens bit that's wrong.
  • Lucan2 wrote:
    It's the lights and sirens bit that's wrong.
    Lights and sirens make no difference to the driver's standing in the law. Even when on an emergency call they are still bound by the law.

The CPS and the PF in Scotland take the view that the public interest is not best served by prosecuting emergency drivers who, for example, break the speed limit or drive in bus lanes or go through red lights, when answering an emergency call. However they are still breaking the law, technically, by doing these things. And if they do it dangerously, to the extent that it is against the public interest, then they can and will be prosecuted, even on an emergency.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The policeman should have apologised, just like any other decent person should. But he didn't. Nevermind, noone was hurt by a bit of crappy slightly aggressive driving in this case