Joining An MTB Club

iluvstaffies
iluvstaffies Posts: 34
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Just been browsing the routes and rides section and came across a post about Sherwood Pines Cycle Club. Had a look on the forums and it sounds good. Have signed up and am just waiting for a confirmation email so that I can ask a few questions on there.

I think I would like to join but I am just a bit worried it may be for more experienced riders. Do clubs usually cater for all levels of riders? I just don't want to turn up and be left in everyone's dust :lol:

I also don't have a really good bike either. Am sure it will be adequate but will I get laughed at with it? lol :oops:

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Most clubs (MTB and road) have fast and slow groups.
    Best thing to do is turn up on a slower ride and work out if that's the pace for you or if you want to go out riding with some faster people.

You might get a bit of friendly banter if you've got a rubbish bike, but as long as you can ride it and you're not having to stop for mechanical problems every 5 minutes nobody is going to mind. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most clubs are keen to bring in fresh 'blood', you'll get the mickey taken out of your bike choice whatever you ride (we tell the chap on his Spesh Enduro S-works he's overbiked all the time....), but most clubs are a friendly bunch and will do there best to accomodate you as long as they know you are trying!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Might have to give it a go then :D

As soon as I get the confirmation email to join the forum I will be able to find out more.
  • hi

im local to sherwood pines and i bike their, im not in a club as i just do it for my own enjoyment. im into xc riding.
    if you want to private message me we could always go around sherwood pines blue track.

how old are you and what bike ahev you got ??
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Most good clubs will accommodate newbies.. So just go out there and get some!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • hi

im local to sherwood pines and i bike their, im not in a club as i just do it for my own enjoyment. im into xc riding.
    if you want to private message me we could always go around sherwood pines blue track.

how old are you and what bike ahev you got ??

I''ve got a Carrera Valour. It's ok for me at the moment and I do like it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not a big joiner so avoid clubs, but arrange rides regularly through the Rides bit here, and have met a lot of good people.
    And a couple of cnuts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And unless they are real cnuts, you'll find most people don't worry about what you ride, or how good you are.
    I'm old, slow and a coward - if I don't want to do something heroic I just watch and laugh when someone falls off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    And unless they are real cnuts, you'll find most people don't worry about what you ride, or how good you are.
    I'm old, slow and a coward - if I don't want to do something heroic I just watch and laugh when someone falls off.

ha ha yes that sounds just like me! The second sentence that is, I'm not a cnut...... :lol:
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    I have ridden with a few clubs over the years, most are very friendly and accommodating with a fast and slow group or a kind of elastic band stretch of riders that are fast at the front and slower at the back with the fast riders waiting up after a climb or tough stretch. As long as you have got a basic bike that can stand up to xc and are able to fix a puncture and do basic repairs without relying on the group you should be fine. Group riding is one of the great things about mountain biking and make it a really social sport.