Help with bike buying options!

mavman46
mavman46 Posts: 18
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
My budget is 800,I am gonna ride trails and forest tracks no heavy jumps etc ,I like the voodoo hoodoo at 475,also I can get a commencal 4.1 for 750 fullsuss ,please advise on best option as I don't want to make a costly mistake ,I broke my back 12 years ago and just getting back into biking hence why I am considering a full suss obv used one for that price.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardman FS are highly rated as well, Link to the Commie please as 4.1 is misleading!

No need for an FS for the usage you describe really, just get your bum off the saddle when it gets a bit rougher!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mavman46 wrote:
    My budget is 800,I am gonna ride trails and forest tracks no heavy jumps etc ,I like the voodoo hoodoo at 475,also I can get a commencal 4.1 for 750 fullsuss ,please advise on best option as I don't want to make a costly mistake ,I broke my back 12 years ago and just getting back into biking hence why I am considering a full suss obv used one for that price.
    new ones ( FS ) can be found, obviously depends what size you need http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67801
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • anyone have 1 of these ,i am thinking of getting one ,budget is £800,im looking for a decent hardtail .
  • The Rookie
    Did well in the recent MBUK £700-100 test, in fact it finished second, only just behind the Boardman team which pipped it as being more Trail (centre) orientated where they felt the KHS was more 'XC race' orientated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mavman46
    mavman46 Posts: 18
    edited September 2012
    ok heres my shortlist of 2 ,the khs 2000 or the saracen mantra ,whats do you think best value.
    heres the link //www.saracen.co.uk/b kes/trail/mantra-pro http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/bikes/khs-alite-2000 cool iy guys
  • Links may help, what do you think?
  • What for, how much, from whom?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • links added to 1st post .
  • 1st link is dead.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • links fixed :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You think?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • im looking for a good new or second hand hardtail within this £800 budget,i like aggressive riding hence will be a small frame for my 29 inside leg ,im 5ft 8 btw,it will be used for forest trails ,glentress,the ochils hills where i live next to in Scotland ,what would you guys suggest i look at ,im in no hurry but my moneys burning a hole in my pocket .
  • Have a look on this site some great spec bikes for a decent price

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/ ... inium.html
  • anyone got any of these bikes ,any good ,what do you think of spec wise for the money ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just about the best spec you can get for the cash.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Over budget, but worth the extra IMHO, if I didn't already have too many bikes, I'd be buying one - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOWHCAB/o ... _bike_2013
  • supersonic wrote:
    Just about the best spec you can get for the cash.
    v the vitus blitz 2 for £750 ,what would you opt for supersonic?
  • I have one and could not be happier, excellent build quality and excellent components apart from the pedals with look like they would be at home on a Tesco bike. Swapped mine for some Wellgo MG1. I was torn between the team 7.0 and the Race 6.0 that has the Fox forks (both of which were around the same price) but the team was more suited to what I used the bike for.
  • supersonic
    The Vitus Blitz is a different sort of bike - full suspension, lower parts, heavier.
  • Should i go for thé rockrider8.1 new or orange g3 used for 540 or genesis26.3 core for 530 ,im really split as they are very close .
  • The Rookie
    Links?

Personally I'd rule outv the Genesis, teh drivetrain spec is very low, at that point the head says the RR, the heart the Orange, but for £540 it would have to be almost as new, as they can be found for circa £600 new.
  • well my only view is that the decathlon rockrider is ment to be a good bike BUT the after service ie recived and problems ive had in the last month, i just woundent buy from them again at any cost.

my local decathlon is the nottingham store and my bike was the rockrider 5.1, its only a entry level bike but still shouldent fall apart only after 73 miles of xc riding.

i brought it at the end of may so its only 4 months old, still under warrenty but they have said its all down to wear and tear !!! what 73 and thats it ?? so i have a £150 with a as new mint frame but ith a knacked BB, back wheel bearings, front/rear mec.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    well my only view is that the decathlon rockrider is ment to be a good bike BUT the after service ie recived and problems ive had in the last month, i just woundent buy from them again at any cost.

my local decathlon is the nottingham store and my bike was the rockrider 5.1, its only a entry level bike but still shouldent fall apart only after 73 miles of xc riding.

i brought it at the end of may so its only 4 months old, still under warrenty but they have said its all down to wear and tear !!! what 73 and thats it ?? so i have a £150 with a as new mint frame but ith a knacked BB, back wheel bearings, front/rear mec.

This is off topic but what maintenance have you completed yourself, after each ride?

To the OP, there are plenty of positive Decathlon experiences as well so don't take one experience as gospel.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• The Rookie
    Ignore WZ, his last post was similar and deleted....clearly the issue he has is with one bike (his) and one store.
  • supersonic
    but ith a knacked BB, back wheel bearings, front/rear mec.

Why don't you service it/adjust it? Maintenance is not part of warranty.
  • Khs is out the equation,its def the the rr 8.1 or white 901 2nd hand for660,going to see it on Tuesday my day off ,I'm excited lol .