Puncture free tyres?

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Just had something pop into my head: puncture free tyres??
Do these exist?
I can't remember where I read or heard or saw this - maybe it was an episode of Tomorrow's World on BBC - I think that's what the show was called!

Just wondering... that's all

Omar

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes and crap other than as a tyre for tarmac shopping bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I remember back in the early 90s, I had a set of solid rubber tyres on a 10sp road bike. They were AWFUL! You couldn't get a puncture in those though.

I remember mine ended up being even worse because they developed flat spots when you did "mazzif skidz!" on them.

Ahhhhh, the good old days.
  • Didn't there used to be solid foam tyres. They kept rolling off the rim.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slime plastic liners?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I ran Schwalbe Land Cruisers for about a year and they were a pretty good compromise between on/off road and pretty much puncture free.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... iser-32121
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had a pair of green solid foam tyres. They were an absolute custard to get on, rode them for a couple of weeks and wrestled them off. Crapper than a crap thing in Crapville, about as good an idea as putting drawing pins in your shorts.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • In the 30 years I've been riding bikes I have punctured less than 15 times. In the last 25 I must have punctured 5 times. Really I can't remember the last time I actually punctured and I'm not a fairy light rider.

The otherhalf on the otherhand punctured every ride for two months. Ripping valves off. Went through 7 tybes in 10 days even. Then I found the tyre and tube rotating on the wheel. Cost a frikken fortune but for me, punctures have never been an issue.