Fastish rides in London Docklands area?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
Gonna be staying near the thames barrier for a couple of weeks and wonder if there is any clubs or groups that do fastish training rides starting from near there that would not mind a Yorkshireman coming along?

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There are quite a few Docklanders come out riding with Dulwich Paragon - you need to cycle out to South East London - Herne Hill velodrome on a Saturday morning or Crystal Palace / Elmers End on a Tue/Wed/Thu night (7.15pm). Decent group rides - PM me if you need more info.

Not sure which other clubs might be worth a look - East London Velo maybe?
  • willhub
    The clubs seem hard to get to, Dulwich Paragon member only, and can only ride their 1st of the month, that's no use and the other one does not have regular rides, Kingston Wheelers are a bit far for me too, but the lure of Box Hill is tempting. In fact, most clubs only allow members only which is a bugger for me stumping up 20-30 quid to ride infrequently since I live near York.

Is there any BR people that I could meet up with and go for a swift ride somewhere?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    If you go up to Crystal Palace parade most weekend mornings there are always lots of riders heading out. There are a few cafes at the top of Anerly Hill, and quite a few clubs seem to be represented. Sure if you stop by you will always find someone that'll be happy to ride with you.
  • bigmat
    The Dulwich Saturday ride is a bit Nazi these days its true - the midweek evening rides are pretty welcoming though, we often get London Dynamo, Brixton Cycles etc coming along. I'm probably out tonight if you can make it to Elmers End roundabout by the Skoda garage for ten past 7. (see map below - its just to the right of the arrow)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=53 ... pp=map.srf

Try the commuting forum if you want to ride around Richmond Park, plenty of fairly fast roadies there who might be up for a few social laps.
  • willhub
    I don't trust my lights enough yet to do over 30 miles in the dark. And I've got a slightly sore throat so riding is out of the question tonight, I'll see aboot next week.

Richmond Park is a bit offputting if you can get speeding tickets for going over 20mph.
  • bigmat
    willhub wrote:
    I don't trust my lights enough yet to do over 30 miles in the dark. And I've got a slightly sore throat so riding is out of the question tonight, I'll see aboot next week.

Richmond Park is a bit offputting if you can get speeding tickets for going over 20mph.

Never had a ticket there - been stopped a couple of times but generally you can see them in the distance and know to slow down. And remember, they have to catch you before they can do anything! ;)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,597
    Yeah you (almost certainly) won't get a ticket. I never have.

I live right next to the park and commute to/from Tower hill. Let me know if you want to ride there one evening and do a couple of laps.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono