How do you transport your bike around

screemin187
screemin187 Posts: 31
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Apols if there is a thread on this already, can't see one

I have a work van but on occasion its not available at weekends. I drive a coupe car, only a 4 seater so no way of getting the bike in at any angle. Also not keen on putting a tow bar on it. Have seen a few boot lid contraptions, roof rack is out because of style of car, does anyone use one and have any feedback on what they are like or where is a good place to buy/browse for one. Naturally i want the bike to be safe, if possible carry two bikes actually and damage neither the bikes or the car

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a tow bar with a removable hook.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah thought of that but garage looking £500 to fit detachable towbar to my model of car. Wondered where people bought those things which seem to hang onto the rear of the car somehow and if they are any good
  • boot.

What coupe is it?

I could get 2 bikes easily in my Hyundai Coupe..

I've seen a DH bike being put in the back of a 350z so believe a bike will fit in any car :lol:

IMAG0009.jpg
    (not the DH bike, but an image found on the net).
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    boot.

+1

I can fit 2 bikes with both wheels off and two people with equipment comfortably in my Skoda Felicia hatchback.

Have you tried across the footwell of the backseats? I have done that with my bike too. Had to turn the bars and remove the rear mech but it went in nicely especially as its long bike being a Specialized.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Towbar mounted rack every time. I was quoted around £500 to fit one to my truck, instead I bought the bar and electrics for £140 and did it myself. Got a Buzzrack for a about £160, so did the whole job for £300
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    WindyG wrote:
    Towbar mounted rack every time. I was quoted around £500 to fit one to my truck, instead I bought the bar and electrics for £140 and did it myself. Got a Buzzrack for a about £160, so did the whole job for £300

Consider the DIY route, because the majority of cars now have all the holes/brackets already in place under the car and you just need to bolt the towbar in place. Also the electrics - there should be a takeoff in the wiring harness somewhere under the trim at the back. Have a look in the relevant Haynes manual
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I had a similar dilema when taking four of us down to the alps in my estate - the problem was that the bikes couldn't go inside. The toebar option was prohibitivly expensive, a roof box was going on top, so went for a Thule boot rack in the end with steel straps instead of nylon. It can't be removed with a knife. With a bike lock around the bikes and rack, it's a bit safer than a standard one; not that I'd ever leave the bikes unguarded outside of the car... Oh, and the reason I still use it when the estate will obviously swallow anything going is the dropouts on one of the bikes is pinch bolts and 6mm, a slow job to remove and it keeps the dirt out of the car.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Boot FTW, safest, and no effect on fuel consumption. You can get a bike in just about any car!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What Coupe? Most cars will support a roof mounted bike rack, however it sin't the most economical way (fuel wise) to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I have even seen convertibles with roof racks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • WindyG wrote:

Ditto, got a tow bar with electrics from eBay, and the 2 bike rack from Rutland cycles. Think I came out about the same price too. Safe bike and safe car :D
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    With the wheels removed, handlebars turned and seatposts lowered, I can get 7 bikes (2 full suspension, 3 hardtail, 2 road bikes) into a BMW 3 series hatchback with the rear seats folded down and a couple of blankets to cover and protect the frames.

Zero cost, zero added aerodynamic drag - just a minor hassle at the beginning and at the end of the journey.
  • Get a different car! Are you a biker or what? ;D
  • Thanks for all the replies

It's an A5 Coupe. You have me wondering now if the bike actually would fit in the boot with the front wheel off, i just dismissed it straight away. I really didn't want to go down the towbar route and recently saw a few cars parked up at forests with frames to hold two bikes which seemed to clamp onto the boot some way. Seemed quite sturdy without any real looking threat to damaging the car

As mentioned the van is usually available. I think i'll do a bit of experimenting tonight with the car, ideally would like to get two bikes in there

Will let you know how i get on, thanks!
  • nicklouse
    if you take the wheels off and have hydro disc brakes dont forget to fit the pad spacer.
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    Tow bar mounted Thule rack for me, nice and secure. As posted above perhaps a removable tow hook type thing?
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    bloghog wrote:
    Tow bar mounted Thule rack for me, nice and secure. As posted above perhaps a removable tow hook type thing?

the same. removable tow bar. no bumper cuts, the holder/electrics cannot be seen unless you get under car. top job, defo the best way. not the cheapest though
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I ride it....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Towbar mounted rack all the way!

The towbar option can be really expensive but in my experience they are much easier and fuel economy is better with them tucked away behind the car. Thule do a good range of towbar carriers, ones that lock and ones that dont. mine locks to the towbar and the bikes lock to the rack. The rack even tilts back so you have good access to the boot.

The bikes are kept away from the car too so you dont damage the paintwork. I have done that with both the roof and boot mounted ones.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • njee20
    You'll get 2 in an A5 with no drama - I've checked, as it's top of my list as my next car! May not even need to take off the back wheels.

Tow bar racks are never going to be as safe, not just thieves, but your bike is utterly screwed if you get in any sort of shunt!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    There are risks no matter how you carry your bike, Ive seen and heard of loads drive their roof mounted bikes into height limit barriers.

I have tried all the carrying methods and although you cant beat sticking it in your car, towbar has been the best and easiest for me. Im not going to go into the chances of getting shunted from the rear because thats tempting fate!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    So you think your car might be too small to carry bikes...

30cuck2.jpg

I've seen the photos of VWstupidwheelsbum taking his 29er bike thing in a Boxster. Frame on passenger seat, wheels in boot/front.

FWIW I can get 2 in the Clio with back wheels on (sometimes have to take 1 of the back wheels off depending on the bike) or 3 with all the wheels off and some intelligent packing.

I'm sure you'll find a solution. Give the boot a go, it's about the safest place for them too, don't need to worry (rightly or wrongly) about them falling off a rack.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I have a mondeo estate... decided to try and find out how many bikes it'll fit in the boot but I ran out of bikes, at 6 (one wheel off each and seatposts dropped). I just leave the back seats down permanently and lined it with a big brown heavy duty tarp.

I do have roofrails and thule racks as well but very rarely need them now. Wouldn't use a towbar rack as the car's already as long as car parking spaces get, don't want it sticking out.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Towbar options for an Audi A5, add electrics and a bike rack , easily do the whole lot DIY for under £500 maybe even under £400.
    http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/audi- ... HSeEC7A-E9

I have tried every option on various cars and my truck and the towbar mount is the best all round, even the wife can load up the bikes :-) Only time I don't use it if I'm on my own as I just throw my bike in the back of the pick up.
  • njee20
    Or... you can stick it in the boot, for roughly £0, it won't affect your fuel economy and it's safer for your bike!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Could get mine in my BMW M3 no problems after removing front wheel and seat. Now I've got a CR-V I can fit loads in!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    you said you have an audi - only do it diy if you are sure about the electrics it uses a CANBUS wiring system which can be problimatic if you dont know what you are doing( used to sell em and have seen the effects of bad diy). go to a local caravan center if you dont want to pay dealer prices
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Angry Bird wrote:
    So you think your car might be too small to carry bikes...

30cuck2.jpg

I've seen the photos of VWstupidwheelsbum taking his 29er bike thing in a Boxster. Frame on passenger seat, wheels in boot/front.

FWIW I can get 2 in the Clio with back wheels on (sometimes have to take 1 of the back wheels off depending on the bike) or 3 with all the wheels off and some intelligent packing.

I'm sure you'll find a solution. Give the boot a go, it's about the safest place for them too, don't need to worry (rightly or wrongly) about them falling off a rack.
    you called :lol::wink:
    I got this since then
    DSC_0099_zps6db336ae.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Again plenty to think about, been away with work so still haven't had a chance to see if i can get two in the boot with wheels off. I'm happier parking the van in the middle of nowhere as opposed to a new car anyway but from time to time i'm not going to have a choice a

That contraption on the Boxter is the kind of thing i was initially wondering about, that looks perfect, how does that attach underneath the car VWsurfbum?

I see my sponsored links on ebay, google etc are full of bike rack suggestions lol, next time my mate calls round we'll try getting two in the A5 and let you know
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    it attaches to the engine skid plate, its from www.birdautomotive.com
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty