What rear parts could fit from other bikes?

marisvnk
marisvnk Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just get Carrera Zelos SL carbon frame with broken seat stay. I can change both, seat stay and chain stay.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... s-21625/1/

After couple questions in halfords witch is in charge about carrera I start to understand that there is no way I can get some parts from them :( ... On question should I bye new frame, the answer was YES :evil:

Just wondering Kona got the similar rear parts and other bikes as well and they sell parts separately from frame. The only size I need to match is connection next to bottom bracket. I can't order the part and then measure it :D. Any idea what would fit there?

Bottom hole in frame 38mm wide and diameter 15mm
distance from bottom hole to shock bracket hole 210mm (centres)

p.s. any nice workshops/shops around London, could sell me the parts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't know but I doubt it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing from Kona will work.

you may find a frame that is the same design as the zelos but good luck.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 100 different frames got chain stay connectio next to bottom bracket and 3angular bracket on frame higher. Wheel is 26" on all bikes. Hole diameter could be adjust with spacers etc. Just need to find closest option.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Banshee, 09/10 board man and voodoo fs models appear to all share similar frame components to varying degrees.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Similar is no good. Identical is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    marisvnk wrote:
    Just need to find closest option.
    no you will need to find the exact same frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Banshee, 09/10 board man and voodoo fs models appear to all share similar frame components to varying degrees.

Yes looks really close. Any idea where to look for parts?
  • cooldad
    All Halfords bikes. So you're back where you started. And as pointed out, close is no cigar.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse wrote:
    marisvnk wrote:
    Just need to find closest option.
    no you will need to find the exact same frame.

We all know, its impossible to find the same second hand frame detail. Chasing for new, but I don't believe i'll get it. So what? Scrap the nice carbon frame? i don't think so. Just need to find close enough and fully functional solution. I'm not racing or whatever. Just bike for fun, bit off road etc.
  • cooldad
    Have it repaired.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Why did you buy a broken frame without 1st finding out it it could be fixed or replaced?

Or have I missed something?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it is not exact, to the mm, then the frame and suspension will handle very differently from designed.
  • nicklouse
    if it works.
  • I cant repair it, the part is gone
    I get the frame nearly for free because of that problem
    Google + ball bearing dimensions. The chain stay sits on 28mm ball bearings. Hi Lo uses that. Not sure what exactly is HiLo, but thats the first I found.

So far I see that Trek and Iron horse use this connection type for couple models.

Any online shops for frame parts?
  • cooldad
    You are wrong and confused. A 28mm cartridge bearing maybe but that means nothing. Unless you can get the right parts from Halfords it's scrap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Carrera is made by Merida like many other brands including Specialized and DiamondBack. There is a good chance they use the parts from the same stack across the ranges to keep the cost low but not sure how to confirm that and source the stuff you need.
  • cooldad
    cyd190468 wrote:
    If you are just missing the connecting hardware (bolts and bearings and stuff) they are all generic parts that you can get from industrial bearing and fastener suppliers. No bike manufacturers make their own bearings. As it's a shop brand it's probably a rebadged bike from a Chinese factory. I bought a roadbike from a department store for $300 as I recognised the frame as a DBR from the previous year. The DBR was $1000. If there is damage to the carbon it can be repaired, if you can't find the same bike with a Merida badge or something similar. Look up the parent company. The shop I got my cheap roadie from was owned by the same parent company as DBR thats how the re-badging happened.
    He doesn't have the broken bits, and Halfords is not a supermarket selling rebranded generic stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    cooldad wrote:

Well, short of blueprints, or swapping them over for him it's the best I can do.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:

Well, short of blueprints, or swapping them over for him it's the best I can do.
    no. if you cant get the right bits then dont even bother.

if parts dont match and work together it will rip itself to bits.

OP post up some pics so we can see what you are trying to deal with as it may be simlper than we may be thinking.
  • 97th choice
    No, my point is that it should be fairly bleedin' obvious that you'd need the right size parts. I'm simply pointing him towards something that might be the right size to the best of my ability. What the OP does to check is up to him.

ETA: If the OP wants to take measurements himself I can at least check them against my bikes, I might even be selling a boardman FS frame soon. :lol:

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Yeah but you can't stick Galaxy bits inside an iPhone.
    Keep up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    You obviously don't do subtle so to put it simply, stop talking sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Absolute garbage you are talking (yet again)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cyd190468 wrote:
    No really I work at a mobile phone repair place. All the little bits that are soldered to the PCB's are generic components that you can buy for cents if you work in the industry.
    Yeah so using your logic the op should just buy some cf matting, resin and a kiln.

Does your brain hurt?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cyd190468 wrote:
    No really I work at a mobile phone repair place. All the little bits that are soldered to the PCB's are generic components that you can buy for cents if you work in the industry.

You've even proved yourself wrong with your obscure bike/phone analogy. Components may well be interchangeable - chain, gear shifters etc even cartridge bearings as others have said but a seat stay is hardly a component and would be like trying to swap the back cover of an iPhone with the back cover of a Samsung model...they'll never fit
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 97th choice
    I think the OP has left the building. This problem needs some pictures and some measurements otherwise it ain't going anywhere.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500