Shimano BR-M505 lever popped out.

JayKay3000
JayKay3000 Posts: 163
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
So today I crashed my specialized carve that is fitted with Shimano BR-M505 levers and the lever popped out where the plunger meets the piston. Nothing bent or actually broken though.

It LOOKS really easy to fit back in, but try as I might (with a really painful neck at the moment I might add) I can't seem to get the thing back in. It seems to be held in by a washer that you either need to push firmly into the piston (I think it's called a circlip) area or squeeze it together and put it in.

Any tips?

I might take it to the lbs as it looks like a 30 second job, but I would like to know how to do it myself or what tool I need as I rode the last section of trails holding the lever so I had front brakes.

I only carry your basic all in one tool, pump and pedal spanner.

Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are usually held in by a circlip, if if it has a small hole on each tip, you need circlip pliers to pinch it together, if its the plain kind you usually just have to find a way to jiggle it in!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    It can be done, I have repaired a couple that have done this. However it it a fiddly job and may take a few goes to get it right. I remember using a set if circlip pliers and a little flat head screw driver to poke the circlip back in.
  • Thanks very much. I had no idea circlip pliers even existed. Brought a set so will have a go soon when I'm healed.
  • Well, even though I'm in a cast with a dislocated + fractured neck what am I doing 4 days out of a month in hospital, but working on the bike :D ...well, they did say not to just sit around.

Just to let anyone know that it was fixable with a set of cheap circlip pliers and a few swear words + about 20 minutes time.

Feels as solid as the factory fitted non-crashed side as the clip was straight although naturally I can't test it on the trails. That's one design that needs a total re-think because I would hate to try and fix then when cold, wet and muddy on the trails. Probably saved the lever from getting fubar though.

It's easiest to do it with the housing pointed to the sky else the pliers pop out if you put any rotation on them or anything and this way the clips is more likely to just drop in, but if you have someone to help with a light or something it's probably useful because I found I ended up putting it in blind.
  • Thanks for the tip JayKay.
    Turning the bike upside down helped a lot.
    I also had to turn the ball headed threaded screw clockwise with an Allen key to get the brake lever further from the bars to give me more space to get the screwdriver and circlip pliers in.
    Took about 5 minutes while previously i had to resort to the LBS.