concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thanking you.

Oh and one other question.... is it itchy?! Lol

Comments

• Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    Endura baabaa, very warm, soft and not itchy!
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • concorde
    Wobbit wrote:
    Endura baabaa, very warm, soft and not itchy!

Top man! Hate itchy clothes :lol:
  • got one of the Aldi compression tops last week, wore it today VERY good as a base layer and not itchy, only £9.99, better than the "proper" merino layers, good quality for the price, was impressed
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I don't agree that anything by Aldi is better than the "proper" merino tops. Most Aldi stuff has just enough molecules of merino wool to justify putting it in the name, often as little as 2%.
    For a great baselayer that will keep you warm wheen needed, and doesn't feel wet, and won't stink after a ride or four, it has to be Merino.

Best long sleeve ones I've got are Endura Baabaa, I use them when snowboarding as well. You can ride to work for a few days in them, and let them dry, and they won't get smelly for abotu a week or so - handy if you're riding every day.
    I also have some Rab cocona short sleeve baselayers, which are about 80% merino (something like that), blended with some other anti-bacterial stuff. They're great as well, but not quite as effective as the pure merino.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    planetx still have some? the ones I have are good, comfier than the baabaa which tbh I think has been washed once too often
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • YeehaaMcgee
    edhornby wrote:
    planetx still have some? the ones I have are good, comfier than the baabaa which tbh I think has been washed once too often
    Ah, good shout, yes, someone reccomended the On-One (same company as PlanetX) ones a few weeks ago. Howies are worth a look as well.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have the Endura Baabaa in long and short sleeve and the On-One. Both are good and not itchy. The Endura one is probably slightly better as the tailoring is slightly better but for value for money you have to go on-one, especially when they have an offer on them.
  • I got 2 of the on-one ones the other week when they had them for a tenner a piece. tested one for the first time yesterday and was well impressed by it. It did an amazing job, much better than the other non-merino LS HH ones I've got. It's merino for me all the way now. Accept no substitutes.

Only thing though, out of the box, and after the first wash, they smell GOPPING! is that just the on-one ones, or merino wool in general?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Same here, my On-One merino baselayer even unwashed smells like an old ladies hairdressers. All perm solution and piss. Washed it is a bit better, but not great. As I ride alone it isn't a mssive issue, but I hope it gets better.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I got 2 of the on-one ones the other week when they had them for a tenner a piece. tested one for the first time yesterday and was well impressed by it. It did an amazing job, much better than the other non-merino LS HH ones I've got. It's merino for me all the way now. Accept no substitutes.

Only thing though, out of the box, and after the first wash, they smell GOPPING! is that just the on-one ones, or merino wool in general?
    that's odd, none of my Rab, Sealskins, Endura, or Gelert Merino stuff smells in any way unusual.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got 2 Endura ls and 2 ss I think they're a very versatile item of clothing

Quality is not so hot on the earlier ones but the two most recent ones have been much better in terms of material/construction/shape. Have the curious ability to stay cool-ish in warm weather and pleasantly warm without being sweaty when it's cold, and all but eliminate the 'what base layer shall I wear today' question.

They don't itch and they don't smell of anything apart from wool

Only minor drawback is once they get wet they take much longer to dry out compared to a synthetic layer.
  • concorde
    Cheers all :D
  • I would recommend Trekmates bamboo material....

http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk/s ... ze-XLarge/

Very comfortable, long lasting and nice and warm.... I prefer it to merino wool.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Don't limit yourself to cycling gear, look around at walking/hiking websites too. That said planet x are normally good value.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I have used a lot of different marino wool items from different brands and companies. The one I love the most is the Redram merino. It is a lot less itchy than others and I have used them for skiing and cycling and I can confirm Merino is the best underlayer for colder weather.

The next one I like is the Helly Henson Warm ICE crew and you can pick one up real cheap for about £25 if you can find the bargain for it. The HH only has 60% merino but it is very thick and great and this is the one I used to ride today.

On one merino the cheap top are extremely thin but it is good for warmer weather between 8-15. The On One long thicker merino is very thick (tight too) and I havn't need to use it either but it is a lot itchier than the two I've mentioned above so it is good for mid layer in heavy winter.

I havn't tried the Eundura BaaBaa one yet but I don't seen I need when I got RedRam and HH to swap around.

I really love my Redrams. I got them on sale 2 years ago and going very strong. Wear them for a week skiing and it does not smell and keeps you warm and comfortable.

But I guess it also depends on personal taste. I bought my wife 4 sets of Redram mernio and she said it is too itchy for her so she doesn't wear them at all.