Btwin Triban 3 frame sizing help.

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
For any btwin owners out there. Im looking at the triban 3. Im torn between 57 and 60 frame size. Im just over 6 foot and I fit a 56 specialized Allez and a M/L frame on a Giant. I would like to know peoples experiences with the btwin, as I can only view online

Thanks trevor

Comments

• frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I am 6 ft 1 and the 57 is plenty big for me. I sat on a 60 and it was far too big for me.

I am now playing round with position to perfect the fit.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    iam 6'2 and have the 60, fits me fine although sometimes i feel the reach is a bit long for my short arms. Great bike had it around 4 weeks now and done over 250mile on it. Other than having to mess around with the gears to get smooth changes all has been fine.

As a newbie to cycling i cant really compare it to anything other than a quick shot of my m8s allez but i can recommend it on its build quality and components.

Had a great review herehttp://www.cyclingscotland.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Triban-3-Review.pdf
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I'm 6 ft 1 and went with the 57. Seems fine to me but i'm new to road bikes so can't compare. The guy in the shop was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about. He said the 57 was right for me and that the 60 was too big. Good job really as they only had the Triban 3's in a 60 and i ended up going for the 5.
  • Hi Trevor
    I'm 5'10" and brought the 57, it's a really good fit. But you do really need to try it out first. The reason I got the 57 and not the 54 is because I have long arms, and felt too cramped on the 54, they even tried a longer stem when I was trying it out in the store, but it just didn't feel right.
    I personally think its a great bike for the price, same spech as bikes twice the price.
    Hope this helps and good luck
  • I'm 6'0" and bought the 60cm Triban 3 as my first road bike. It felt fine in the shop and the guy selling it said it was the right size for for 6', but I'm now wondering if it's too large and I should have gone for the 57cm. Now that I've been reading up, I realise there's a lot more to sizing than just height though. I've also tried measuring the bike from all sorts of different angles and I can't find anywhere on it that's 60cm! From what I can work out, the top tube length seems to be 56cm (middle of seat post to middle of top tube running horizontal), and the distance from the crank to the top of the seat post is pretty much the same. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be measuring to get 60cm from!?
  • In case it helps anyone looking for sizes, I've just measured the dimensions of my Triban 3, which is a size 60.

Bike.png

I've used the image above for these measurements:

Top Tube: 56cm
    Seat Tube: 53cm
    Head Tube: 19cm

For reference, the only place I can find which measures 60cm (assuming that's what Decathlon's size 60 refers to) is if I measure the very furthest points of the top tube as shown in the image below.

Bike_TT60.png

Based on these figures, are Decathlon's sizes misleading, or am I messing up my measurements somehow?
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    as its a sloping top tube im sure that comes into the sizing?
  • ben.harris
    ben.harris Posts: 14
    edited October 2012
    Good point. If I measure from the center point of the head tube, to the center point at the top of the seat stem, that does come out at 60cm. Surely this measurement would be completely dependent on my current seat height though, rather than a frame size?

Without wanting to take over the OP's thread (apologies to the OP!), I'm just trying to determine how the size figures quoted by Decathlon compare to other manufacturer's frame sizes. Something definitely doesn't seem to add up (based on my measurements, anyway!)
  • Ah - Might have got it sussed. I'm thinking now that the 60 might refer to the length of the seat tube, plus the minimum height of the seat stem combined. This would appear to be 60cm measuring from the middle of the crank, to the height of the 'rails' (not sure if that's the correct term!) of the seat when I set it to it's minimum height mark. Does this sound feasible? Hopefully it will help others too, when working out what size frame they need.
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    i got the 51; i'm 5ft 6 and a bit more, and my short legs onlty just get over the top tube; the 54 was painful.

I'm very comfortable with it sitting up and on the drops

i'm a tad worried that finding inner tubes for teh 650c wheels has been quite abind (to say the least) that when i upgrade the wheels in due course, or try to fix a mudguard i might have to get the welding gear out !
  • ben.harris wrote:
    In case it helps anyone looking for sizes, I've just measured the dimensions of my Triban 3, which is a size 60.

Bike.png

I've used the image above for these measurements:

Top Tube: 56cm
    Seat Tube: 53cm
    Head Tube: 19cm

For reference, the only place I can find which measures 60cm (assuming that's what Decathlon's size 60 refers to) is if I measure the very furthest points of the top tube as shown in the image below.

Bike_TT60.png

Based on these figures, are Decathlon's sizes misleading, or am I messing up my measurements somehow?

I think that the 60cm seat tube length is based on a virtual length if the top tube was horizontal.

Like this:
    triban3_zpsdb94dd3e.png
  • quick one. has anyone managed to fit mudguards to triban 3. clearance v tight but wondered if crud mk 2 would fit
    Triban 3
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    RobertSims wrote:
    quick one. has anyone managed to fit mudguards to triban 3. clearance v tight but wondered if crud mk 2 would fit

I have the 57 frame and I got the Crud's on there fine. Bit fiddly to fit... use the video on their website.
  • I'm 5'10" and got the 57. In hindsight it's slightly too big. A shorter 90mm stem has helped a bit.

I tried fitting SKS P35 Chromoplastics, and they're now for sale on Gumtree! Others have fitted them, but I can't see how. Nowhere near enough clearance. Now using Raceblades which are a lot less fuss.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    raceblade longs fit fine and much better than the short raceblades

8619286717e7e193377d31d579409c2cee31f0a516d59709cd930ad2f634a018b62ef1b8.jpg

the back one is a bit spacious as it's attached to the frame rather than the wheel. btw mine's a 63 and I'm 6'2" ish
  • Stupot101 wrote:
    I'm 5'10" and got the 57. In hindsight it's slightly too big. A shorter 90mm stem has helped a bit.

I tried fitting SKS P35 Chromoplastics, and they're now for sale on Gumtree! Others have fitted them, but I can't see how. Nowhere near enough clearance. Now using Raceblades which are a lot less fuss.

I am 5'10" too. I have been riding a Rockrider 8.0 MTB for the last 2 years - size 57. I haven't noticed any problems so far. I intend to get the Triban 3 end of February this year and have been speaking with the store people and they are saying that I go with the 57 too.

On another note, I intend to make a few changes to the bike out of the store -
    - Mavic Aksium wheelset - the store is charging £165 for them, was going to get RS10s but been told that these are better.
    - Keo Look Classic Red - Wiggle £48 - got this ready!
    - Shimano SH-R105 Fred Williams for £65!
    - Want to change the seat too but that's going to have to wait.

What yo think about this?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • frazered
    re mudguards - I have run into the same issue with the sks p35 chromaplastics, especially with the 25mm continental 4000S on.

anyone fitted the alternate mudguards with 25mm tyres?

thanks
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I know that people have been able to fit the cruds, but I had a nightmare with mine. They were impossible to fit well and I had to disguard the part of the rear guard that protects the derailleur. They have broken on me twice, once the zip tie snapped going over a bump which meant the rear guard just rolled over and I had to stop to fix it with some garden wire. Yesterday the screw for the rear extension came off and it dropped off as I was going along. I know a lot of people have had no problem, but I couldn't recommend them personally as I think they are too flimsy.
    I think I'm going to order the long raceblades.
  • frazered
    long raceblades look ok upto 23mm tyres. no good for 25mm

I may try the SKS Raceblades XL

will be listing the chromoplastics in the classifieds very soon!
  • whitestar1 wrote:
    Stupot101 wrote:
    I'm 5'10" and got the 57. In hindsight it's slightly too big. A shorter 90mm stem has helped a bit.

I am 5'10" too. I have been riding a Rockrider 8.0 MTB for the last 2 years - size 57. I haven't noticed any problems so far. I intend to get the Triban 3 end of February this year and have been speaking with the store people and they are saying that I go with the 57 too.

On another note, I intend to make a few changes to the bike out of the store -
    - Mavic Aksium wheelset - the store is charging £165 for them, was going to get RS10s but been told that these are better.
    - Keo Look Classic Red - Wiggle £48 - got this ready!
    - Shimano SH-R105 Fred Williams for £65!
    - Want to change the seat too but that's going to have to wait.

What yo think about this?

If you're close to a Decathlon store I would say go and sit on both a 54 and 57 and then decide. If I had I probably would have gone for a 54. Easier to make a bike that's slightly too small bigger, than the other wat around, or so I'm told.

Mavic Aksiums are on the birthday present list! They seems a pretty good price in Decathlon.

I changed my saddle to a Sella Italia Shiver, which they stock too. Seems fine but I'm going to be changing it for a Rido RTL.
  • I am 5' 9" with a 33" inseam and bought the 54cm. It is actually a bit of stretch for me but I need to run a lot of setback.
  • Stupot101 wrote:

Hi :)

I have the same doubt about choosing size of the triban 3.

I am 5' 10'' and 32,55' leg size. I don't know if the right size is 54 or 57. Many people told me 57 is too big and the better size is 54. Eventually i can take a little longer stem,.,..

Any opinion?

Another question, it's better value for money of triban 3 or triban 5?

Thanks in advance.

Andrea
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    I'm 5'9 and have the 57 and I think its slightly too big for me. Due to the crap weather we've been having, I've been using that ( it has mudguards ) instead of my 54 Trek. Definatly have more aches doing the same routes, although I ain't going to alter it. I just use it for my commute.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    I just brought one. I'm 5'10" 33 inside leg.
    I tried both the 54 and the 57. They let me ride around the shop :-)
    I already have a ribble grand fondo in Large and found the Trian 3 in 57 to be perfect.

There is a rule of thumb I read somewhere where you should be sitting on the bike, and when you look down your handlebars should cover the front wheel hub. (kinda a rough guide for stems etc). The 57cm handle bars covered the front hub - perfect. The 54 bars were behind the hub, so a was therefore more "forward in the cockpit" and therefore my weight more toward the front. http://www.wnbr.org/bikefitandy.html
    PS - this method is very rough, but a good way to choose what is a great VFM bike.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Hiya,
    I'm a tall lady at 6ft 1 and a half and I've just bought the 63cm frame! I've got a long body and arms, I tried both the 60 and the 63 and my back felt better on the 63, but I might need a shorter stem though as the stem its self was as long as the forth bridge!

Caz xxx
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    I bought the 57 a few weeks ago. I'm 5 10, 32 leg and it seems ok. Although like most I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first road bike.

Furtherst I've gone is just shy of 30 miles and it seemed to fit ok. Only ache I had was my neck but assume that is because I'm on the drops which I'm not used to.