First Hardtrail MTB, what to buy?

MarcN7
MarcN7 Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was looking to buy a new hardtrail MTB under the price of £500. I have been looking at the carrera vulcan and the voodoo hoodoo and I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on these bikes or any better options?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do a forum search and you'll find approx 20 gazillion threads saying yes, or look at Rockriders from Decathlon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12882929
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12882930 and they're only the ones asked in the last few days, there are loads of threads on the same topic, but for £500, i'd get the Rockrider from decathlon every time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £500, if you want an XC style machine the RR is the ONE, for something a little burlier and trail friendly, then the Voodoo has strengths the RR doesn't but isn't quite as well specced.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i dont have the voodoo but from what ive read and seen at halfords and in what mountain bike and on here (the forums) the voodoo is a amazing bike for the money.

OR

why dont you look on ebay ?

i was in the same boat as you last week, my budget was 850 and i was after a boardman or something alone them lines.. after i made a short list i was going for the boardman team at 850 from halfords, but i found on ebay a boardman team pro for only 500 brand new unwanted gift. so i snapped that up and saved money and got a better bike for my cash. :) win win
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695

Because for every bargain out there there is also a piece of overpriced junk. Unless you are pretty experienced and get a chance to see the bike in person, then it is a complete lottery.

Buying second hand can be great (my current bike was also a second hand bargain). You got lucky and hopefully you won't need the warranty you don't have. But obviously this isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just starting out with bikes.
  • chrisw333 wrote:

Because for every bargain out there there is also a piece of overpriced junk. Unless you are pretty experienced and get a chance to see the bike in person, then it is a complete lottery.

Buying second hand can be great (my current bike was also a second hand bargain). You got lucky and hopefully you won't need the warranty you don't have. But obviously this isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just starting out with bikes.

sorry but i think your wrong,

the first thing i would say is when you win a bike on ebay always pay in cash when you go and pick it up. this way you can inspect the bike before paying and at least have the chance to pull out. yes it probley wont go down to well with the seller but at least your not wasting you cash on a bike you havent seen.

if you have seen a bike you like always ask questions like.. can you send me more pictures, when & were did you buy it, when was it last serviced. most sellers will reply back and try and help. ifs its not to far away ask for a test ride or a viewing before bidding.
    as long as you know the kind of bike your after or the even better the name/make you can get some amazing buys. :P
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Yeah you're right. Nobody ever comes a cropper from ebay.

Look, just because you seem to have got a good deal on your bike, stop being an arse about it. There are loads of reasons why someone who doesn't know a great deal about bikes should be very, very cautious about buying second hand and particularly off ebay (yes, sometimes there are bargains but also prices are often pretty damn inflated compared to classifieds on here etc anyway). Could you spot a hairline crack in a frame? Thought not.

So stop giving shit advice (like avoid Decathlon and gamble your moneyon ebay) and accept different methods suit different people. I imagine if you won the bingo you'd be telling everyone who would listen to play bingo as you can't lose.
  • The Rookie
    If the OP is comfortable sorting out minor niggles and issues, then ebay is great, if they aren't and have to use an LBS it can be a minefield.

We bought the lads Spesh (P1 AM) off ebay as having 'gear problems' got it for £100 (probably half what it would sell for 'working') and found the rear mech was a bit 'loose' in the pivots and it had a 9 speed cassette on an 8 speed bike.

Bunged an old 8 speed cassette on there for a while then put the 9 back on with a chain and new shifters (total cost at that point £160), then a newish rear mech (£15) and it was a sorted bike for less than £200. Its now on Manitou Black forks with Tektro Hydraulics and fulcrum rm5's with Mountain kings for a total outlay of just over £300 and a 12Kg bike, no way could we get new anything like that spec, but as I build my bikes, fixing it took no time or effect and we could keep costs down by using bits from my 'box o shite' when suitable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yep - nowt wrong with eBay. My 'hopper is still going strong 4 years later. I wouldn't suggest the OP go for bikes that have problems (even minor ones) as above.

@ chrisw333 - Believe it or not most people are pretty honest and will tell you if there's any problems on the ad. You get a lot of bikes on eBay which have literally never been ridden and sat in a shed for a year or 2 or get bikes from enthusiasts (like us) who have looked after, maintained and upgraded making them even better value for money.

As winter zombie wrote - an eBay sale will nearly always be cash on collection so you get a chance to check the bike out and give a test ride and once over. If you really are clueless when it comes to bikes try and take someone a bit more knowledgeable with you. Also as wz says - ask plenty of questions before you buy. The main one being "why are you selling?"
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Remember if its not as adevertised (or as questions are answered) you can reject it, a seller can no longer leave negative feedback for ANY reason, so you just walk away.

BUT only do this if you ae happy to!
  • chrisw333 wrote:
    Yeah you're right. Nobody ever comes a cropper from ebay.

Look, just because you seem to have got a good deal on your bike, stop being an ars* about it. There are loads of reasons why someone who doesn't know a great deal about bikes should be very, very cautious about buying second hand and particularly off ebay (yes, sometimes there are bargains but also prices are often pretty damn inflated compared to classifieds on here etc anyway). Could you spot a hairline crack in a frame? Thought not.

So stop giving shoot advice (like avoid Decathlon and gamble your moneyon ebay) and accept different methods suit different people. I imagine if you won the bingo you'd be telling everyone who would listen to play bingo as you can't lose.

your the one been a ars* :P

i gave good honest advise nothing else. 99% of sellers on ebay are honest. and i never said "gamble your money on ebay" just that you can get a good bargain/deal on ebay. :shock: