Newbie - New Tyres

neil81
neil81 Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Just joined up today so apologies if i've posted this in the wrong place, it kinds falls under comuting too so feel free to move if needs be! Im just after some advice...
I have a Carerra Disc Spec MTB that is about 4 years old, i bought it mainly to do a bit of biking at the weekend with the family so its in good condition. Recently i have started cycling to the station every day which is all roads and about 15 minutes each way so only a short trip. The rear tyre is almost worn out so need a new one, as most of my riding is now on the road i thought i might move away from the massive treaded tyres it has at the moment - which is where i'm in need of some advice! they are 26 inch wheels and the tyres it came with are 26 * 2.35, the wheels are ddm (or wpp depending on which way around the writing is!) disc specific double wall with eyelets (at least i think thats what it says!). i'm wanting to get to some tyres that dont have as much tread as im just wasting energy on the roads but not sure what tyres i can put on it. can i get any 26" tyres even though the ones on it now are 2.35" or do i have to replace like for like? I would just get a new bike but funds dont wont cover that at the moment! :D

Sorry for going on so much, any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You could get away with most MTB tyres. Id recommend something like Schwalbe City Jets if you're only riding on the road.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • neil81
    neil81 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the advice, nipped into Halfords today (there arent any decent bike shops near me!) to see what they said, they recommended either the Schwalbe City Jets or 'Continental Double Fighters', anyone had any experince of the latter who can help or throw any others into the mix?

Ta
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Double fighters are ok, and they have some limited off road capability, but only really in the summer. Id always get two sets of tyres and change them if I want to commute and ride off road.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.