FS equivalet of a hardcore HT?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2012 in MTB general
what FS frames would be the equivalent of a HC HT?
What I mean in a more aggressive, fun frame - 140mm ish travel.

But, lesser know brand or not as common?

I can think of a few HT's but not FS.

Thanks..

Comments

• Huh?

You're looking for a non-mainstream, 140mm FS frame? Not exactly hard to come by.

Bionicon Reed
    Foes Shaver
    IBIS Mojo (HD)
    Intense Carbine

I could go on, but I don't think I've fully understood you.
  • They're all a bit.... Wet.
    HC hardtails are generally a bit silly...

I mean something a bit more like a Cove Hooker, more of a play bike than trail bike.

Will google the Shaver though, not heard of that one.
    I'm not very up to date with FS frames tbh!
  • How about the NS soda?
  • Yeah my lbs had one of those in, frames are actually reasonable weight.

Good shout though, had forgotten about those!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm looking for something similar. GT Distortion, Specialized Pitch and Marin Wolf Ridge should all be good.
    Isn't the Soda a slpoestyle bike? Similar to the Transition Bottlerocket?
  • Pitch is a nice frame, missed a few of the nice blue coloured ones a while back.

Yeah the hooker is slopestyle too... No front mech on the Soda though, and it would need to go up and down..
  • Ahhhhhhhh, I see now. ok.........

Morewood sukuma or jabula? Not particularly bonkers or anything, it'd be interesting to try one.

The new Ragley bike looks similar to what you're after, the G-six (although I'd probably go for frame-only and build myself). I reckon they're probably one of the safest best for a hardnut trailbike sort of thing, as it's something they manage pretty well with HTs already. Stands to reason they'd be ones to get it right applying the same principles to FS.

1318424564139-1fjvg6594d16k-670-70.jpg
  • Oof, that ragley looks nice... Not sure if it would become a bit too mainstream though..

Will look for the Moorewood on google..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Marin Wolfridge. The best choice for, er, anything :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd love one of those Ragley FS frames. If it's anything like my Bagger, it'll be incredible to ride!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If the Ragleys ever do appear in the shops, the race will be on to find out which bit is made wrong :lol: Will they revisit a greatest hit, or strike out into new unexplored territories of fail? It does look the business, but I had 3 Mmmbops before I got one that was built right and even it had terrible paint.

Pitch is a good choice and there's some cheap frames at Bikescene. Wolfridges are stupidly cheap for what you get, though possibly a little more focused on getting there first rather than playing along the way. Matter of taste this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have a lovely felt compulsion 2 frame for sale ben, 140mm travel :wink:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Transition Bandit. 140mm up front 130mm on the rear, fantastically stiff frame and a really fun and playful character.

Come spring time I'll be putting in an order.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pivot Mach range....

Really Impressed by the Mach4 I rode at the NEC Demo (off to Rutland this weekend for a longer ride), feels just like a dialed HT but makes a rough trail smooth, the Mach5 with 120mm of rear travel and 140mm front would seem to hit your mark.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Transition Bandit maybe. It was described in it's write up as riding like a hardcore hardtail. I really fancy one of these tbh.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Mongoose Nuggets are great fun. Similar to the GT distortion, in that it's a short-travel frame with a longer fork. Not sure if they do them anymore though.
  • Always wanted a nugget back in the day..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Pivots, not sure where you are but the Demo fleet will be at Rutland cycles this Sunday ready to roll at 9am.

There is a Mach5 frame in carbon on pinkbike right now as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • LBS is 50:50 on bringing Pivots in, they have done a few custom builds and have a mach 5 in the shop at the mo. Might have a carpark test at some point..
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've found pivots geometry to be a bit weird, they're slack but the bb's are pretty high, same with the devinci dixon. Morewood are a good shout, though apparently there are issues if anything goes wrong, the same of which cannot be said of Ibis, whose customer service is beyond fantastic. If you don't mind waiting abit for something really unusual, and assuming its properly built, Evils uprising looks like a proper hell-raiser.

305623_10150852052745953_56838605952_11978136_855927834_n.jpg

Would still say a HD140 with a fox 34 and a works components headset would be without doubt a ripper, and theres always the whyte 146 works too, it looks pretty stunning this year imo the cyan anodizing looks awesome!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    What you've described is a Transition Bottlerocket.

What you want is a Transition Bandit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    lawman wrote:
    I've found pivots geometry to be a bit weird, they're slack but the bb's are pretty high, same with the devinci dixon. Morewood are a good shout, though apparently there are issues if anything goes wrong, the same of which cannot be said of Ibis, whose customer service is beyond fantastic. If you don't mind waiting abit for something really unusual, and assuming its properly built, Evils uprising looks like a proper hell-raiser.

Would still say a HD140 with a fox 34 and a works components headset would be without doubt a ripper, and theres always the whyte 146 works too, it looks pretty stunning this year imo the cyan anodizing looks awesome!
    This looks fantastic and messy at the same time :? these seems to be a mass of stuff where the pivot and shock should be?

Anyway what you really need is a Orange 5!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    lawman wrote:

This looks fantastic and messy at the same time :? these seems to be a mass of stuff where the pivot and shock should be?

Anyway what you really need is a Orange 5!

AKAIK, its similar to the delta system designed by Dave Weagle as seen on the revolt and undead frames, so basically its a linkage actuated single pivot, a la commencal meta and the new scott gambler, some of what look like pivots are adjustable shuttles that change the geometry, I've seen quotes of a 13" bb in the lowest setting and frame weights of 5.7lbs without shock. If it does come off and its put together right, then I need to have a go on one, Evil have been a big brand for me since I rode the original sovereign years ago, was always my dream bike in my earlier teens
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Evil will probably ride brilliantly, but also might just fall to bits instantly. TBH you'd have to be braver than me to buy one until they've been out in the wild for a while.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Tomac Snyper ?