Fitting rack to MTB frame

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited November 2012 in The workshop
I'm using an old MTB frame to get round town and want to add a rear pannier rack. There are what I think are probably eyelet holes for fitting - two just above the rear fork, then one on either side of the fork. These both have what look like plastic bungs in - should I just pull these out with pliers?

Also, is there a particular type of rack I want, to match these fitting holes? There are also unplugged holes at the bottom of the rear fork.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rear forks? Forks are at the front, at the rear you have chain stays (bottom) and seat stays (top) which hold the rear dropout on (the bit where the wheel goes).

For most racks youll need a bolt hole at the dropouts and one at the top of the seat stays about 3-4" down from the seat tube, if they have plastic plugs in just ping it out with a screwdrievr or pull with pliers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thought about doing this with my Kona Lavadome recently, but the holes near the rear hub are too small (~3mm) and are too close to the skewer. Looks like they're intended for mudguard stays. Worth checking on yours.