Galaxy S3 mount?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Lots of Android mapping and GPS apps available, but really only any use at the end of a ride if the phone itself is in a pocket. WIBNI it was constantly to hand?

Just wondering, has anyone used anything like this on a road bike?

I can see several obvious drawbacks...

- vibration damage (phones aren't really designed for this sort of thing)
- if it falls off, it's probably curtains for something much more expensive to replace than a Garmin Edge 200
- safety (distraction)
- screen brightness inadequate in sunlight

I guess I may be answering my own question here as to actual practicality, but I'm just interested if anyone has used a mount (shock-absorbing? Secure?) for a smartphone.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Mounting a phone on the bars is a non-starter for me, mostly because of your last reason. If it's a sunny day, you'll never be able to read the screen on the move. You'd have to stop and shade the screen, then it might just as well be in a pocket.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I have these on both mountain and road bike, and to date have only found one app that keeps the back light on so can be viewed at any time, use my fone all the timewhile on bike, safe and secure on the road bike, maybe not as secure on mtb. but I only xc on my mtb.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230833701966? ... 1497.l2649
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i have my phone mounted, mainly so i can flip tracks, answer phone etc. However if you were to keep the screen on at all times along with gps etc running the battery would last about 10mins. It is very easy to press the button and activate the screen though for a quick glane at route info.

For a bit of extra security i stick a cable tie round the phone and holder on long rides, never been needed though.
  • RandG
    I've done a three hours ride and still had over 50% left of battery with mine ?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The S3 is too big.. you'll just look like a tit.
  • Buckie2k5
    edited October 2012
    oops double post
  • Buckie2k5
    RandG wrote:
    I've done a three hours ride and still had over 50% left of battery with mine ?
    [/quote]

with the screen always on and gps runing?
  • RandG
    Yep
  • Buckie2k5

if i worried what i looked like i wouldnt be out in lycra, phone is least of my worries lol
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    if i worried what i looked like i wouldnt be out in lycra, phone is least of my worries lol
    +1

I'm pretty sure I already look like a tit :D

However, if I mount the S3, I do want it to be secure, and for the vibration not to damage it. Cos then I'd probably be a tit, not just look like one :oops:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I faffed about with ways of using my S2 on the bike, but a combination of battery life, fragility, visability, weather-proofing, using it at this time of the year with gloves on etc., steered me down the Garmin route. No regrets at all.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Since getting an S3 I've got a cheap bike computer from Halfords and chuck phone in back pocket with Strava on.

Battery last about 3x as long on the S3 than iPhone with Strava on which is pretty handy.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • I'd get a second hand htc desire or such like then it wouldn't be such a disaster if it broke. Plus you can get extension batteries with extra fat backplate (I doubt you'd want that on your gs3?) upload via wifi when you're home, no sim card required. There's an app which forces the screen on, allows heart rate and speed sensors to be connected then exports to strava afterwards...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    charliew87 wrote:
    Since getting an S3 I've got a cheap bike computer from Halfords and chuck phone in back pocket with Strava on.

Battery last about 3x as long on the S3 than iPhone with Strava on which is pretty handy.

My Samsung Galaxy nexus should run up to 9-10 hours with strava easily. Managed 5 hours 13 mins elapsed time for a sportive in sept.. only down to 52% battery!