Paris-Tours *spoilier*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited October 2012 in Pro race
35 km to go atm. 7 riders up the road, but not by very much.

Comments

• afx237vi
    In the important news of the day, I can confirm Iain and Art both picked different riders :shock:

Tense.
  • afx237vi
    Huh... apparently this ain't live. Don't look on Twitter.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    [Closes twitter window]

That's weird, it was labelled as live cycling on sky, but isn't anymore, and the British Eurosport logo doesn't have the "live" label.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Good finish.
    afx237vi wrote:
    In the important news of the day, I can confirm Iain and Art both picked different riders :shock:

Tense.

So who hadn't picked John D?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ha i enjoyed that, i was praying for a massive upset then.

good race
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Good finish.
    afx237vi wrote:

Tense.

So who hadn't picked John D?

I didn't (GVA)

At the worlds, I typed in "Gilbert", then thought "balls, he's so erratic this year" and went for Boonen. Fail

I expect Art will have won now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    Yep, Art had John D... unlucky Iain, GVA almost pulled off a big coup for you, especially if Degenkolb had blown after the solo chase.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yep, Art had John D... unlucky Iain, GVA almost pulled off a big coup for you, especially if Degenkolb had blown after the solo chase.

Oh well, had to try someone who wasn't John D.

Hat to Art .Well played.

If only I'd allowed myself to pick Wiggins for the Tour :P
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Cracking race made all the more exciting with PTP. I was fairly sure Iain had to go with the attackers whilst I could go with Degenkolb. It did cross my mind that Iain could have picked Terpstra. Superb ride from Degenkolb.

Good attempt Iain - close race all season.

Hat to Afx for another great PTP. I would like to share my cyber Champagne with you that I've just opened and sprayed the podium girls with.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Last decent race of the year and I completely forgot to watch it.

Iain, In the pursuit of glory sometimes you just have to swallow your pride :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    Cracking race made all the more exciting with PTP. I was fairly sure Iain had to go with the attackers whilst I could go with Degenkolb. It did cross my mind that Iain could have picked Terpstra. Superb ride from Degenkolb..

Ha - My 3 choices were Ballan, GVA or Terpstra.

*shakes head*
  • inkyfingers
    More importantly, that result must mean I hang on to my lofty spot in the top 10? Just think of all the UCI points I just earned, i'm expecting the phone call from Bjarne Riis any minute.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Last decent race of the year and I completely forgot to watch it.

Iain, In the pursuit of glory sometimes you just have to swallow your pride :wink:

and probably some tablets.

Very enjoyable last 40km - even if I had to share the TV with my 10 y.o and his gang of (non-cycling) friends who were yelling at Degenkolb to bridge the gap.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting race. Glad for Marcato. The Topsport guy reckons he would have won if MM hadn't deviated...

Good racing from Degenkolb.

Marcato to race Tour de Vendee next week (which he won last year).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 48,629 km/h sur la distance de 235,5 kilomètres..............
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Must have been a tailwind! Very close to all time speed for the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Everyone's favourite commentator was saying it was pretty still out there today, as it was round these parts, no wind at all.

Good finish for a sprinters race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I've never watched Paris-Tours before but was pleasantly surprised as I'd always had the image of it being held on wide, pan flat roads with a guaranteed bunch sprint. It was quite funny seeing the chasing group trying to negotiate the tight bend on that final descent. When I switched over I thought there was no chance that the break would stay clear, I'm amazed that BMC didn't do more to bring it back and that Blythe tried to bridge alone. Degenkolb looking more and more like a Classics winner in the not-too-distant future but which one?
  • frenchfighter
    Degenkolb the copper, just like Tony Martin

cop.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    As much as I hate to admit it, maybe Rick was right about Degenkolb being more than just a pure sprinter...
  • Assuming that both riders carry their 2012 success into next year, its going to be interesting to see what Argos-Shimano do next year re Kittel / Degenkolb and the Tour...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    Highlights are on ITV4 tomorrow morning 10:30am for anyone who missed it.