10-speed chain link - where from

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Trying to buy a 10-speed link, can anyone recommend a reasonable priced one. CRC and Wiggle seem to be out of stock, thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Merlin have some power locks
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jeannot18
    stubs wrote:
    Thanks! :D

EDIT: sorry did not see the price for the 10-speed: £8.50 isn't it a bit dear?
    Pédale ou crève
  • stubs
    Get 2 pairs and stick 1 pair in your pack for emergencies. Only needed a spare link a couple of times over the years but its better than walking.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • As said above, Merlin have some http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -lock.html

However you'll need to buy something else with them or you'l be paying £2 delivery too. Still cheaper than ebay for 2pair though.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sram ones don't come apart again though.

I get my KMC ones from bike-discount.de when I was ordering some other stuff so the postage was irrelevant. £5.75 for two, much cheaper than in the UK when I got them. They also got brake cleaner for about £2 as well so I got some of that. Take a look on there if you're wanting anything else and the postage quickly becomes irrelevant with the savings you can make.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    edited October 2012
    peter413 wrote:
    Sram ones don't come apart again though.

Really?

Didn't know that.

Edit: I'm SURE I've had some before and never had any issues getting them off for cleaning.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah really. Rubbish eh.
  • peter413
    8 and 9 speed ones come apart fine, the 10 speed ones aren't designed too. Even KMC ones are a right bastard to undo, I gave up and got myself some of the missing link pliers, come apart so easy then, thats another cheap thing you can get from bike-discount in fact.

And before you say anything, I have no bother at all getting 9 speed ones apart but just can't managed 10 speed ones on either my bikes.
  • jeannot18
    Sorry 1 more question. Would the following:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k513/a ... speed.html
    fits any 10-speed chain, I don't even what chain I have got on my Canyon Nerve right now
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • stubs
    Yes there are two 10 speed standards. The one you will need is the one used by SRAM and Shimano the other standard is Campagnolo which you probbaly not going to see on a MTB
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    peter413 wrote:
    Even KMC ones are a right bastard to undo

The KMC 10 speed ones come apart as easy as all the other 9 speed ones do.

Suggest you practice a bit more, that or build up your hand and wrist strength doing an exercise.
  • peter413
    As I said, I can do the 9 speed ones no problem, they just slip apart, not what I've found with the 10 speed ones.
  • To confirm some advice on here:

KMC reusable Missing Links for 10 speed are meant to be tool free (able to disconnect by hand). We also make non-reusable 10 speed Missing Links that may be more difficult to remove. That being said, I do come across the odd reusable missing link that doesn't come apart easily.

10 speed Power LOCKS are made by Sram and are non-reusable; these are the only 10 speed links offered by Sram. Power LINKS are 9 speed and under and are reusable.