Which XC knee and elbow pads? G-Form vs IXS Slope-Series

Ezy_Alpes
Ezy_Alpes Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

I'm looking at getting some light XC knee and elbow pads. I've already got some descent Lizard Skin knee and shin pads for DH.

Want them to be light, so can pedal on XC (when I say XC I mean a wide variety of terrain. Including descents and climbs in very rocky, rooty runs). Not too bulky, so can throw them into pack if I don't need them. Also want good enough protection, not to just stop a graze.

The G-Form pads look and sound perfect (I read the review on Bikeradar), although I haven't found many opinions from UK mountain bikers about how good a job they do. The IXS Slope sound good also, although they sound a little bulkier, but maybe more protection.

If you've used any of the pads or if you know of any other products that fit the bill, be good to hear what you think.

Cheers

Comments

• I've recently bought some g-form ones as I want to start looking after my knees after a recent operation had one of them completely rebuilt. The construction is very good, and the pads themselves allow great range of movement. Unfortunately, I'm finding them to be a really poor fit.

The bottom is fine, but the top is too tight. This causes them to roll down when I move, which obviously renders them completely useless. To be fair to them though, I have freakishly huge thighs and it was always a gamble buying them. It's just another brand to add to the long list of brands I can't use.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I use G Form and they are very good. They are very dependant on fit though as there is no adjustment.

Thankfully mine fit perfectly.
  • Thankfully mine fit perfectly.

STFU & GTFO! :lol:

Just to clarify, I think the fit on them would be fine for most "normal" people. It's just superheros like me and my towers of power. ;)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Thankfully mine fit perfectly.

STFU & GTFO! :lol:

Just to clarify, I think the fit on them would be fine for most "normal" people. It's just superheros like me and my towers of power.
    :wink:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sweet Protection pads are good as well. I did get some knee pads but found they didn't quite fit right (same problem as CWNT, big thighs) but I was in a group of 10 or so of us that got got them and I was the only one that they didn't fit right and everyone else loved them. I ended up giving mine to a mate who also loves them and went back to using my trusty Kyle Straits.

The Sweet Protection ones were lightweight but very good protection, I think they use a similar material to D3O, soft until impacted, they were nice and flexible thanks to this and molded to your knee shape. I would have carried on using them all the time if it wasn't for the fact they kept shifting into the wrong place because of my funny shaped legs, bottom would stay rock solid but the top would move down ever so slightly causing a gap underneath them that I found uncomfortable. The elbow pads are meant to be good as well but I've never used them, I use IXS Hack elbow pads which were cheap and although not perfect get the job done since they're normally only worn because race rules require them.
  • Thanks guys

Might give the G-Form a punt, think they sound like they would fit me. My thighs are quite large but not massive. Just looked at their sizing and read a few other posts about chooisng the next size up, although those posts are old. My sizing looks like this, 41.5-42cm which puts me between XL and 2XL.

Did you all buy the next size up or go for the ones recommended by G-Form?

The Sweet Protection look great, are you talking about Bearsuit Knee Pads specifically? A bit more pricey than the G-form though, especially if I get knee and elbow pads.

Cheers
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Yep I'm talking about the Bearsuit ones.
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    had g - form ones for 2 weeks

so far so good, fit me fine (but I was right in the middle of the sizing band)

really dont notice they are there after a bit, and add that bit of extra confidence

super flexible - and it seems when you hit them - they do firm up quickly

that said I have only tested this with a fist / against things - not in a crash yet !