Sometimes you wonder why you offer to help......

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
An interesting meeting with a fellow cyclist today in Cardiff town centre.....

Rolling slowly through Queen Street (yeah, I know, no cycling allowed - but sod it, it was 9am this Sunday morning, I was going about two miles an hour and very few people around) when I came up toward a chap with a hard tail MTB lying on it's side on the road while he stamped on it.

Didn't seem to be an anger frenzy so I stopped and asked if he needed any tools.

"Yeah" he said "have you got a hammer?"

Umm, no. Tough to get one into my micro saddle pack, and as I was in full lycra at the time smuggling one about my person would have raised looks..

"No, sorry, what's the problem?"

Turns out that the bolt on his left hand crank was missing and the crank arm had, unsurprisingly, come off. He was convinced that hammering it onto the shaft would solve the problem.

I explained (not condenscendingly) that it wouldn't work as the forces would just push it off the taper.

"(something that rhymes with rollocks)" he says "You know (something that rhymes with duck) all" he elaborates "I've had the bike for a week and the bolt has always been missing"

Uninterested in my directions to an LBS that would be open on a Sunday morning for a replacement bolt he pedalled off.

The crank arm made quite a nice clang as it fell off twenty yards down the road and under a street sweeper.

Didn't have the heart to tell him that he'd also borked his rear mech through his Birmingham Screwdriver maintenance regime either. :mrgreen:
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Love it!!
    2010 Trek Madonne 4.7
    2011 Bmc Promachine SLC01
    2013 Wilier Cento 1SR
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    What a stupid (rhymes with conker)!
    Probably be in the local classifieds by next weekend - next bike project?

(Although, it has to be said, there's a certain national bike chain that one can believe would supply a bike without crank bolt)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DrLex wrote:

Bonker?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DrLex wrote:
    Probably be in the local classifieds by next weekend - next bike project?

(Although, it has to be said, there's a certain national bike chain that one can believe would supply a bike without crank bolt)
    Nah, sounds like the sort of person who'll be in the market for a 99 quid bso...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.